cammo78

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mooroolbark FC, Arizona Cardinals
Not a great start to the season...

The Western Bulldogs have fined new assistant coach Steven King $5000 and forced him to undergo community service and counselling after the former Geelong and St Kilda ruckman was charged with drink-driving on Sunday, having recorded an alcohol reading three times the legal limit.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...rive-charge-20120319-1vf7a.html#ixzz1pXL71wsQ

Oh well he is going to learn the hard way taking public transport to work. Looks like he must have had a big night back down in Geelong to blow 3 times over the next morning.

Agree - must have been some sort of session to still be 0.17 the next morning - unless he has just plowed on through and jumped straight in the car.

Most have done it (ie, drive the morning after a heavy night), and regretted it. King got caught. I'm sure he'll learn his lesson catching a train on the Alamein line and riding his bike to Whitten Oval.

Has done an excellent job in what he was employed to do.

Reading the article, I initally thought he lost his coaching licence :eek:
0.175 the morning AFTER. That's some sorta bender.

We need him for our young tall players.
What done is done, he will work harder to regain the trust of the club.

My thoughts too, that's the only positive, (including the $5k fine to road trauma victims support) I can think of.

We should piss him off:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I don't think we should get rid of him, but he needs to learn. I'm disappointed from the fact that he took the risk behind the wheel. I've been called out one too many times to scrape bodies off the road as a result of being killed by drunk drivers.

I expect more from Stephen especially with his role with the club's young and impressionable players coming through.

We need him for our players, the experience he has from his playing days will help our players out in the long run.
Yes, he was over the limit, but he didn't kill anyone, hit anyone or crash his car.

This is probably the moment where King pulls his head out of his butt, since he is at a more strict club.

We need him for our players, the experience he has from his playing days will help our players out in the long run.
Yes, he was over the limit, but he didn't kill anyone, hit anyone or crash his car.

This is probably the moment where King pulls his head out of his butt, since he is at a more strict club.
Lets just all be irresponsible then and drink drive, as long as we don't kill anyone ,hit anyone, or crash it's fine no problem. :eek:

What a ridicules statement, people that have lost loved one's from a drunk driver would be appalled:mad:

Well, Hutchy thinks we should have suspended King.
I disagree completely. It would put us completely behind the 8 ball for the start of the year, with no midfield coach. His punishment was just.

Learnt it at Stkilda

Actually mate, I would say he learned it at Geelong. Been a few piss heads down there, we all remember Stevie Johnson a few years ago, and I know for a fact, that when John Barnes played down there he was an alcoholic!

Well, Hutchy thinks we should have suspended King.
I disagree completely. It would put us completely behind the 8 ball for the start of the year, with no midfield coach. His punishment was just.

His punishment is more than what 95% of people with liscences would get for the same crime. The money is going to an organisation that will make him more aware than most who have done the same thing is wrong. The guy has made a stupid mistake and has now paid for and for the next year or so will continue to pay for what he has done. Fortunately nobody was hurt and you would think he will learn from his mistake. In no way do I condone his behaviour but any suggestion of suspension or sacking is beyond justice. So I agree his punishment is just and we should leave it at that.

Most have done it (ie, drive the morning after a heavy night), and regretted it. King got caught. I'm sure he'll learn his lesson catching a train on the Alamein line and riding his bike to Whitten Oval.

Presumably that means he lives in the eastern suburbs. So going home meant driving (pissed and recklessly endangering) along a 100km/h freeway for about 70km, then over the west gate, through the tunnel and then negotiating the residential streets of the east when everyone is up and about. Or turning off down Geelong Rd, after only 60km on a 100km/h freeway, and heading to the Whitten Oval and turning up to work pissed. Either way, that’s ordinary.

Should we expect a large bill from Silver Top Taxis to show up in the end of year accounts?

Fitting punishment imo. As a previous poster mentioned, he has been stung more than any other civilian would have been. I just hope he has learnt his lesson.

IMO, I feel that this "could have been worse" in the fact that as least he tried to sleep it off and was tested the next day. Again, not saying it okay or a good example, but could have been much worse if he choose to drive home from the pub (or where ever he was drinking) or more importantly in either case caused damage.

Moving forward, just as anyone else who has been in this situation, I hope he will never do this again, has learnt from the experience and will share with others to stop them ending up in the same situation.

Fitting punishment imo. As a previous poster mentioned, he has been stung more than any other civilian would have been. I just hope he has learnt his lesson.

IMO, I feel that this "could have been worse" in the fact that as least he tried to sleep it off and was tested the next day. Again, not saying it okay or a good example, but could have been much worse if he choose to drive home from the pub (or where ever he was drinking) or more importantly in either case caused damage.

Moving forward, just as anyone else who has been in this situation, I hope he will never do this again, has learnt from the experience and will share with others to stop them ending up in the same situation.
King was picked up by police on the Princes Fwy in Avalon just after 9am yesterday after they received reports of a motorist driving erratically.
He blow 4 times the limit, IMO he has had no sleep. I need my licence for my job if i lost my licence i lose my job.

By the comment's on here about drink driving no wonder the road message is not getting through:thumbsdown:

Presumably that means he lives in the eastern suburbs. So going home meant driving (pissed and recklessly endangering) along a 100km/h freeway for about 70km, then over the west gate, through the tunnel and then negotiating the residential streets of the east when everyone is up and about. Or turning off down Geelong Rd, after only 60km on a 100km/h freeway, and heading to the Whitten Oval and turning up to work pissed. Either way, that’s ordinary.

Should we expect a large bill from Silver Top Taxis to show up in the end of year accounts?
The police report said male from Ashburton.. so yeah eastern 'burbs. Ordinary I agree. And I would certainly hope that the club doesn't reimburse any taxi expenses outside of the norm!

King was picked up by police on the Princes Fwy in Avalon just after 9am yesterday after they received reports of a motorist driving erratically.
He blow 4 times the limit, IMO he has had no sleep. I need my licence for my job if i lost my licence i lose my job.

By the comment's on here about drink driving no wonder the road message is not getting through:thumbsdown:

Take it easy Staphy.

King did the wrong thing. He will pay a $5,000 penalty, which is probably on top of the $750 fine he will have to pay to vicRoads.

Plus, he has to undertake alcohol counselling, and have an interlock fitted to his car once his license suspension period is over.

We already have over the top penalties for drink driving in this state, and in King's case, he is paying more than 6 times the financial penalty.

What more do you want? The death penalty maybe??

Take it easy Staphy.

What more do you want? The death penalty maybe??

No, but that's what the victims of drunk drivers get. I've seen it from the side of the victim's family and it's not pretty.

We will continue to slaughter people (mostly our young) as long as people continue to think drink driving is a minor misdemeanour, swiftly forgotten. A car travelling anywhere between 50-100kmh is a lethal weapon. Driving should be considered a privilege and not a right.

I think the club has done well to take a strong and immediate stance on this. This is the minimum I would expect. Any repeat must mean immediate dismissal.

Macca is big on "getting the right people" (meaning people of good character) at the club. The club has to back him. It's vital for the culture he is trying to build.

I agree King has been good for us so far and I'm glad he's at the club but we have to get it into perspective. It's a lot bigger than what he can do for our ruckmen over the next few months. We also have to send a strong message to the young people under his care. Otherwise you end up with a booze culture like some are suggesting exists at Moorabin and Geelong.

From his comments I think King now recognises this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back