Steven May - 1 week

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not a lot in it. May's history was probably taken into account.

One of those ones where you get a week at the start of the year but wouldn't miss a final for.

So if another player without history did the exact same thing no penalty?

I thought it was almost identical to Norths Thompson bump on ???. Player handballed, copped a slightly late shirt front but not too brutal and he went down wirh the air knocked out of him.

It was a tad uncalled for being a preseason game and no doubt he was hurt / winded.

Taller player bumped a shorter player.

A fine for both should be the very maximum penaltt just to let them know it was uncalled for rough conduct.

Last edited:
I thought it was an ok decision.

Shiels getting off for punching a guy in the chest after the AFL made a huge deal about not punching guys seems perplexing to me.

Note: I don't think Shiels should have been suspended either. i just don't get the messaging the AFL want here.

Two punching incidents in this game as well that were ignored. Vandenberg on Neale & Oliver on Lyons.

Gee that is pretty soft, could have easily avoided it.

Oliver is a football enigma.

In many cases he shows serious commitment at winning the hard ball. Puts his body on the line for all the right reasons and thumbs up all round.

And then on other occasions such as the Schofield non hit Oliver falls over in a weak act or trys to draw a free that isnt there.

Bizarre stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where have you been in recent years? May lined Berry up and bumped him with head contact occurring.

This is what you have bought in Steven May, a thug who has a loose wire.
I'd spend more of my time worrying about why your team keeps recruiting has-beens to prob you up but not be good enough to challenge.
This is coming from someone who is a big fan of Geelong. I just don't get how Like Dalhaus and Gary Rohan alongside GAJ help you get closer to a flag?

Oliver is a football enigma.

In many cases he shows serious commitment at winning the hard ball. Puts his body on the line for all the right reasons and thumbs up all round.

And then on other occasions such as the Schofield non hit Oliver falls over in a weak act or trys to draw a free that isnt there.

Bizarre stuff.
I feel very similar about Luke Shuey. They do it because they can.

You'd have to incredibly stupid/naive/uneducated to call Berry soft.

Would easily be tougher than Clayton Oliver, who plays for free kicks at every opportunity.

If you've seen Berry in action soft is the last thing you'd call him. Some Melbourne fans are getting way too unhinged over this whole thing.

So if the appeal fails does May receive two weeks for challenging?

I feel very similar about Luke Shuey. They do it because they can.

Big difference is Shuey puts his head on the line with ball in hand.

Oliver gets blown over by a gust wind and minimal contact whilst trying to get players rubbed out.

One action takes some courage the other action lacks courage.

Considering how much bigger, taller and stronger Oliver is its surprising he takes the soft option.

If you've seen Berry in action soft is the last thing you'd call him. Some Melbourne fans are getting way too unhinged over this whole thing.

So if the appeal fails does May receive two weeks for challenging?

Nah they got rid of that.

It's really not the hardest rule to understand. If you elect to bump someone and you're not going for the ball or they've already disposed of it, you're likely going to get a week off. If you watch the replay, he clearly elects to push off his left foot after the ball was disposed of to get into Berry's path and bump him. It wasn't necessary and could have been avoided. If he goes to tribunal and gets off, I don't think anyone's going to be surprised given Berry wasn't concussed and it wasn't the most forceful bump. But surprised so many people are struggling to get their heads around it.

It's really not the hardest rule to understand. If you elect to bump someone and you're not going for the ball or they've already disposed of it, you're likely going to get a week off. If you watch the replay, he clearly elects to push off his left foot after the ball was disposed of to get into Berry's path and bump him. It wasn't necessary and could have been avoided. If he goes to tribunal and gets off, I don't think anyone's going to be surprised given Berry wasn't concussed and it wasn't the most forceful bump. But surprised so many people are struggling to get their heads around it.
Not the hardest rule to understand yet you don't understand it. All Michael Christian goes by are three categories, impact, contact and intent. Clearly Melbourne will be hoping it gets downgraded to low impact and it might be. Although I think it's borderline so don't care if the appeal fails.

I'll might accept it's a week when I see clear proof beyond a reasonable doubt that he hit him on the chin.

As many times as I've seen the footage I can only see shoulder to upper sternum. Yeah it's close to the chin but nothing conclusive. My guess is any other player they'd go with the benefit of the doubt but they want to get May, even though he did the only noteworthy thing ever in a Q clash.

Establish that it was to the chin and then I'll think about whether the force of a guy standing his ground then bracing for contact is worth medium impact. I don't think it is but it's a fair argument. May will learn he has to avoid contact or go even lower and slower, Berry might learn that if you're drawing an opponent for a handball it's probably not a bad idea to at least then work out where they are after the handball.

Big difference is Shuey puts his head on the line with ball in hand.

Oliver gets blown over by a gust wind and minimal contact whilst trying to get players rubbed out.

One action takes some courage the other action lacks courage.

Considering how much bigger, taller and stronger Oliver is its surprising he takes the soft option.

Were you this critical of Darling exaggerating contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back