Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I struggle to understand some of the decisions made these days. Not just the decisions but the commentary around it.

Am I just looking at this through red and blue lenses? How did it get to the stage where a bump like that is given a weeks holiday? Surely the impact was not severe enough as to warrant a suspension? There was no concussion, no injury, it's not even clear that he got him high. Basically it seems May was suspended for being bigger and stronger than his opponent. Yeah the bump probably shook Berry up but that's because he's such a lighter frame than May.

Christian said part of the consideration in making the decision was the "look". So now decisions are made not just based on intent or even outcome but the "look" of it even if it wasn't in reality that bad? I'm pretty shocked at the commentary around this, not the fact he got a week because Michael Christian is an idiot, but the talking heads agreeing that it's deserving of a week. Look at it in real time in the context of the play, not just the slowmo gif. Yeah he initiated contact and put Berry on his arse but I didn't think it deserves a free kick let alone a suspension. Umpires didn't either as it was just called play on.

What do you guys think? Am I just biased? I'm expecting Brisbane and Port supporters to be in agreement that it deserves a penalty but what do the rest of you think?

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
If he hit him in the head he's gone. Did they assess it as high contact? If yes they assessed he hit him in the head

The problem is it was assessed as medium impact. He went off the ground unassisted and suffered no concussion from what has been reported. He didn't come back on but it was the last quarter of a JLT game so that can't be realistically used as a guide. Looking at it in real time it seems pretty soft, May moved into the contact he didn't merely brace himself but it wasn't a typical bump where someone follows through.

It just seems as though May was punished for being bigger, if he'd connected in the same manner with 90% of players in the league it wouldn't even be looked at. Berry had the wind taken out of him but he's a younger player with minimal definition on his frame. It seemed as though the main reason he stayed down after the hit was due to being flattened down the middle in an old fashioned shirtfront rather than being hit in the head.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
The problem is it was assessed as medium impact. He went off the ground unassisted and suffered no concussion from what has been reported. He didn't come back on but it was the last quarter of a JLT game so that can't be realistically used as a guide. Looking at it in real time it seems pretty soft, May moved into the contact he didn't merely brace himself but it wasn't a typical bump where someone follows through.

It just seems as though May was punished for being bigger, if he'd connected in the same manner with 90% of players in the league it wouldn't even be looked at. Berry had the wind taken out of him but he's a younger player with minimal definition on his frame. It seemed as though the main reason he stayed down after the hit was due to being flattened down the middle in an old fashioned shirtfront rather than being hit in the head.
If it was low impact high contact would he have received 1 week? If no I'd suggest Melbourne challenge the impact ruling providing Brisbane have told them there is no concussion

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
They've really been unofficially trying to kill the bump for a while now.

I remember Francis getting a warning for one of the most fair bumps you'll ever see on O'Meara last year with no high contact whatsoever. But it hardly seems to matter these days.

Right now if I was a coach I'd be telling my players that unless you're under 180cm its best to put away the bump. The only player on our team that I'm confident when they do it is Tippa, simply because he's so damn short, that he's unlikely to infringe.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Can't wait for the send off rule to be brought in an for May to miss the rest of the game as well.

Plus anytime someone gets bumped they will stay down an get an opponent sent off

The difference between soccer an AFL was never the toughness it took to play but the reward for diving, the AFL is doing their utmost to close that gap

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can't wait for the send off rule to be brought in an for May to miss the rest of the game as well.

Plus anytime someone gets bumped they will stay down an get an opponent sent off

The difference between soccer an AFL was never the toughness it took to play but the reward for diving, the AFL is doing their utmost to close that gap
I really, really hope we never go there. What gets me is the way the game is umpired and then the influence of the MRO that lets players think they can just leave themselves wide open. If May wanted to he could have knocked him in to next week. And at state league level or lower a player would have. He was drawing the player before giving the handball, and as he did should have turned to his right and met May shoulder to shoulder. But instead met the oncoming player face first and wide open. If players are willing to do that then they should be willing to accept the consequences. If self-preservation was still a thing we wouldn't see anywhere near as many stupid umpiring and MRO decisions.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I really, really hope we never go there. What gets me is the way the game is umpired and then the influence of the MRO that lets players think they can just leave themselves wide open. If May wanted to he could have knocked him in to next week. And at state league level or lower a player would have. He was drawing the player before giving the handball, and as he did should have turned to his right and met May shoulder to shoulder. But instead met the oncoming player face first and wide open. If players are willing to do that then they should be willing to accept the consequences. If self-preservation was still a thing we wouldn't see anywhere near as many stupid umpiring and MRO decisions.

It's ridicolous and I couldn't agree more. May it's him less than half as hard as could. Berrys action snacks of a player who's played TAC cup since he was 15 an never learned to protect himself. You draw a man like that playing country footy and you leave in an ambulance.

Alternatively may doesn't turn his body and they both clash heads, both go down and both get sent off red carded an suspended

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's ridicolous and I couldn't agree more. May it's him less than half as hard as could. Berrys action snacks of a player who's played TAC cup since he was 15 an never learned to protect himself. You draw a man like that playing country footy and you leave in an ambulance.

Alternatively may doesn't turn his body and they both clash heads, both go down and both get sent off red carded an suspended
Loved that last description. The imagery of what the AFL want May to do, stand there front on, chest puffed out and head back as far as he can get it. That needs a name.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
But ridiculous decisions like this leaves players willing to run around "front on" leaving themselves wide open and not expecting contact. If I wanted to watch netball I would.

Give it 10 years and there will be no contact to anyone without the ball.
Games getting more unwatchable eveey year.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Loved that last description. The imagery of what the AFL want May to do, stand there front on, chest puffed out and head back as far as he can get it. That needs a name.

AFL 2022
giphy (9).gif

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
Look as soon as you make head high contact it’s over to MRP for chook lotto.

It was such a nothing hit. Berry drew May to create the other lap and they literally just ran into each other. If May bumped him with any intent whatsoever the kid would have left the ground in a box. Berry was wide open, so much so he’s almost negligent in limiting his potential to get injured.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Run into someone and get them suspended on brace contact - soon to be the new meta.
Well played Berry

Jesus christ, can people actually watch the vision properly before commentating? May changed directions at the last second and launched into him, his shoulder connecting with the jaw/throat of Berry who wasn't expecting May to leap at him.

Berry DID NOT run into a stationary May, and if you think that you're either blind or didn't watch the incident.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Jesus christ, can people actually watch the vision properly before commentating? May changed directions at the last second and launched into him, his shoulder connecting with the jaw/throat of Berry who wasn't expecting May to leap at him.

Berry DID NOT run into a stationary May, and if you think that you're either blind or didn't watch the incident.

May propelled himself forward so he wouldn’t get knocked on his arse by Berry momentum. Berry had no clue he was even there until the last second. It was kinda embarrassing to see an AFL player so anaware while being in the play.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
May propelled himself forward so he wouldn’t get knocked on his arse by Berry momentum. Berry had no clue he was even there until the last second. It was kinda embarrassing to see an AFL player so anaware while being in the play.

Berry wasn't even heading in his direction, May leapt into his path at the last second which is why Berry wasn't expecting the contact.. You can SEE this for yourself is you watch the reply carefully in slow motion... However people generally post first and think later.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Berry wasn't even heading in his direction, May leapt into his path at the last second which is why Berry wasn't expecting the contact.. You can SEE this for yourself is you watch the reply carefully in slow motion... However people generally post first and think later.

Tosh. May was right in front of him, moved slight to the left and projected himself forward slightly back to the right. Berry was running nowhere but right towards him, embarrassingly unaware he had an opponent in front of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back