Steven May - 1 week

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you decide to bump. You are accepting the risk be being whacked by the MRP if you touch the opposing players head. It was poor technique by May.

Doubt he will ever tidy up his game though. He is just that kind of player. It's a shame really, he is good enough without having to do that dumb s**t.

I'm thinking the other players and the head honcho's have had a word or two to May. Got away with it at GC but don't think he will at Melbourne

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was it obviously a hit to the head?

You must have seen footage I havent.
Have you watched it properly? Shoulder straight into the chin which is a part of the head I would've thought. Dumb move on Mays part , hitting berry didn't even impact the play

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Have you watched it properly? Shoulder straight into the chin which is a part of the head I would've thought. Dumb move on Mays part , hitting berry didn't even impact the play

Actually it's shoulder to body first and Berry's head goes forward and hits May's shoulder as a result of the hit to the body, mind you nowhere near hard enough to be classified as medium impact.

Also it's a block which prevents Berry from continuing his run providing a handball target.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is really simple.

The head is sacrosanct.

You hit the head, you take the responsibility and consequences.

That simple.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Actually it's shoulder to body first and Berry's head goes forward and hits May's shoulder as a result of the hit to the body, mind you nowhere near hard enough to be classified as medium impact.

Also it's a block which prevents Berry from continuing his run providing a handball target.

Theoretically, he was no chance to get the handball receive. Block was a fair way off the ball anyway.

Shoulder to body first.... please

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tosh. May was right in front of him, moved slight to the left and projected himself forward slightly back to the right. Berry was running nowhere but right towards him, embarrassingly unaware he had an opponent in front of him.

If May was right in front of him why did he need to spring to the left to collect him? Berry was clearly expecting to be able to run past him until May jumped into his path at the last moment, you need to get new glasses

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s not like we’ll need him to belt Port anyway, take an extra week to freshen up for Whiskers in round 2 Mayzie.

Good to see how chirpy Brissy supporters are after such a huuuuuuuge win.

FyfeToAdelaide

Club Legend
May 18, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Probably should of broke the guys jaw then have a state of outrage over there and they'd get rid of the suspension...

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
He didn’t make any contact with Berry’s head. Any concussion would have come from Berry smacking his head on the ground. It should be a free kick on field and no more. Sometimes I feel like the AFL forgets that each player has a duty of care to themselves. You need to be ready to take a bump if you’re anywhere near the ball. If you’re not then that isn’t showing any duty of care.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Same as about 5 incidents with the Suns. For which he was suspended every time. Not sure why Melbourne supporters - or anyone for that manner thinks this time is any different from every other previous incident.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
If May was right in front of him why did he need to spring to the left to collect him? Berry was clearly expecting to be able to run past him until May jumped into his path at the last moment, you need to get new glasses

May was standing right in front of him. “Sprang” right abt half a body width to collect Berry up in the middle, so yeah not sure how he could’ve been anywhere but in front of him. I can post stills to prove it if you really want?

Berry didn’t even see May let alone expect or not expect anything from him. Deadset looked like a guy who bumped into a glass door, embarrassingly unaware for a guy playing contact sport.

demon21

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2003
Tasmania
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
melbourne/Chargers
I've got not problem with May getting a week as long as they are consistent about it, But i'm pretty confident come round 18 and a brownlow contender did it that it would most likely be downgraded to low contact and giving a fine Or if it happened on PF week.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
May was standing right in front of him. “Sprang” right abt half a body width to collect Berry up in the middle, so yeah not sure how he could’ve been anywhere but in front of him. I can post stills to prove it if you really want?

Berry didn’t even see May let alone expect or not expect anything from him. Deadset looked like a guy who bumped into a glass door, embarrassingly unaware for a guy playing contact sport.
Perfect description.
I don't give a * who you support, Berry needs to have more awareness of the field around him.
I played alot of footy when I was younger and I never got hit up the middle like that after dishing off the ball because I protected myself.

Take off the red and blue glasses.

May launches himself towards a Brisbane player who just handballed the ball.

I have no idea how this has become about May protecting himself and Berry seemingly not protecting himself.

When you kick or handball the ball in footy you aren’t in a position to brace for a last minute tackle or bump. Hence why it results in a free kick when a defender collects a player after he has already disposed of it.

How can anyone seriously watch this footage and think May needed to do that? It was typical Steven May trying to act tough. He wasn’t running at a full speed unable to stop in time, he was practically stationary and decided he’d make Berry earn his disposal. Just a boneheaded decision from a bloke with a history of making s**t decisions.
May takes maybe one step after Berry gets rid of the ball, he didn't charge or line him up cheaply as some of the fairies on her would have you believe. Berry is running straight at him with no awareness of what is coming. May turns his shoulders and hips and hits him in order to protect himself

The fact that that is illegal is a ******* joke. Regardless of what teams that hit involves young players like Berry need awareness and to protect themselves.

So what the AFL is saying is a football related hit will get you suspended, yet if he clearly punched him in the face (ala Mumford last week) he would have been cleared of suspension.

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
While I don’t think it was worth a week, just an incredibly dumb move by May in a meaningless practice match with little benefit for his team. I don’t know why he feels the need to do crap like this so regularly. It’s cost his team in the past and will continue to until he pulls it in. Doesn’t need it in his game.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
and Buddy on Cousins... If the Mrp are now judging on the "look" how the hell does Mumford get off?? If that landed sweetly ol mate would still be unconscious
Mummy should never have had to react to Rohan having him in a headlock. He should have been paid after kick. He was entitled to react but not to strike. With minimal force he gets a fine.

Bit like when a player has someone lying on him in the ground. He's entitled to push the player off forcefully, but cant strike him.

Aug 17, 2008
Devonport
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mummy should never have had to react to Rohan having him in a headlock. He should have been paid after kick. He was entitled to react but not to strike. With minimal force he gets a fine.

Bit like when a player has someone lying on him in the ground. He's entitled to push the player off forcefully, but cant strike him.
minimal force?? And the retaliator always gets busted. You can't try to justify that strike cos headlock. If he had landed properly he'd of got 6 weeks and that sort of thing "looks" a lot worse than a pretty fair bump to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back