MRP / Trib. Steven May gets 5 weeks (MRP/Tribunal)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great bump but slightly off in execution. 3 weeks down to 2 because he should've only got 2 weeks not 3 last year. Stephanie is doing fine. No damage done other than a bruised ego. Was seen calmly chatting with Maysie after the game.

Great bump but slightly off in execution. 3 weeks down to 2 because he should've only got 2 weeks not 3 last year. Stephanie is doing fine. No damage done other than a bruised ego. Was seen calmly chatting with Maysie after the game.

Would have been better if he did not have his feet leave the ground. I wish it was against Zorko or Josh Green.

Hit above the head at high speed, with full intent to play the man not the ball. Maysie better hope that the Lions medical report says Stef will play next week

Would have been better if he did not have his feet leave the ground. I wish it was against Zorko or Josh Green.

Hit above the head at high speed, with full intent to play the man not the ball. Maysie better hope that the Lions medical report says Stef will play next week
We better hope their coach doesn't get to review the initial draft for improvements before it's submitted.

4+ weeks. Wouldn't be surprised if he got 6 to be honest. Ran passed the ball, lined up the man. Jumped off the ground. Head high contact. Definitely flattened Stefan, so it wasn't a light tap.

edit: mind, May is still my favourite Suns player. He goes very hard at the contest, and this is the price you pay for having a physically imposing backman at times.

Anyone thinking less then 4 is crazy. Im going to be honest. It would have been a bloody great hit if he didnt leave the ground. If he kept his feet and hit him in the chest it would have been fair bump play on. (Which i would of loved to have seen) and we wouldn't even have been discussing it. Seeing mays leave the ground which resulted in him hitting martin high is whats gonna hurt. At the ground it looked like 6 weeks plus.

watching at home, it looked pretty bloody bad. few things to consider. one, the pure force of the hit, and the ability to down a 110kg+ ruckman. it looked like a bloody car crash haha. i think the publicity it's created won't help may's chances of getting less weeks either.

second, the location of the impact (shoulder onto head), which was obviously a major factor in the fact may was able to flatten him. if it was a fair bump into the chest like Milux stated then i'd say both players would have been a little sore, but it would have been a ripper bump.

third, the fact it seems martin recovered okay from the hit. seems like the overall injury to the player is a major factor in the length of a suspension.

initially i was thinking for sure it'd be something like 5/6. i'd say you could compare it to jeremy cameron's hit on rhys mathieson in the preseason, which earnt him 4 weeks. both players going for the man, not the ball; left the ground to lay the shoulder into the other player; shoulder makes contact with the jaw. obviously there are differences, like how may's bumps is more front on and seems at a higher velocity than cameron's, and that mathieson's impact resulted in a broken jaw (6 or so weeks out).

i reckon 5 weeks + 1 carried over from last season would be plenty, but if they take into account the lack of a significant injury to martin, then perhaps he might get off a little lighter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking something in the order of 5+1 weeks considering his previous history of on field violence. He's let the team down badly with Thompson out for a few more weeks. Looks like Schade and Leslie will be getting a call up.

I'm thinking something in the order of 5+1 weeks considering his previous history of on field violence. He's let the team down badly with Thompson out for a few more weeks. Looks like Schade and Leslie will be getting a call up.
Football is a contact sport. If anything the same as last year +1 Even then May has a bad reputation for a bump last year that was crap and was totally incidental with both trying to compete for the ball. It's getting blown out of proportion and anymore than 3-4 weeks is ridiculous.

No injuries didn't even go to hospital on the night so i will go with 2 + 1 (for the bad record he got after that soft hit on Brisbanes weak captain last year)
Haven't seen Rockliff the same way since that hit. Soft player and a soft bloke. It was clearly accidental by May and Rockliff didn't have the balls to say anything publicly or to the tribunal to help out May at all.

I'm still pretty confident May will get 4 weeks.

So he'll miss Kangas, Geelong, Melbourne, and Giants. If he misses 5, he'll miss Adelaide too and that would be ******* disastrous.

I know we can't rely on a single player, but the next four games should be games we can be confident about. Without May (and Thompson), they're all a worry. *

Remember what side of town you're on mate, Save the circle jerkery for your own board.

Or better yet, Ask Elliott Yeo or James Aish what they think of... Oh that's right all your draftees ran home the first chance they got, Awkward...

Moving back onto the topic at hand, At first glance live and in person I thought it was a clean pop, Shoulder to chest and I'll be damned if I'm going to be convinced otherwise.

Granted the jumping makes it look bad but the Gabba groundsman should get more weeks than May for that damn stupidly hard surface that he cracked his head on after he was knocked on his ass.

I take solace in the fact that for every time I see this posted on social media for every "filthy grub" comment there's a few "clean hit, games gone soft" comment.

I'm happy to play the bad guy on this one. Looking forward to the stream of hate directed at this post.

To close: Ray Lewis would have been proud of that hit, I've gained oodles of respect for Stef Martin for taking it like a champ and not making a fuss over it.

Start with the Cameron comparison - 4 weeks for leaving the ground and hitting an unprotected bloke in the head, and breaking bones. This is the type of bump they want to get rid of. Fair enough.

Remove the broken bones, take off 2 weeks. (Whatever we might think, the outcome for the injured player is a factor.)
Take into account previous record, plus 1 week. (Although plenty of coaches last year said that bump on Rocky was what they want their players to do; he was unlucky last year but guilty this year).
If Martin is concussed and might not play next week, plus 1 week.

Given the variability in the tribunal outcomes, looks like 4 weeks or maybe 3 weeks with a guilty plea or 5 weeks since May appealed last year and they want to discourage that sort of thing.

5 is fair. He has history and their best player on the ground at the time missed half of the game.

Im glad most of you arent one eyed enough to see there was high contact.
This is completly wrong though.
Remember what side of town you're on mate, Save the circle jerkery for your own board.

Or better yet, Ask Elliott Yeo or James Aish what they think of... Oh that's right all your draftees ran home the first chance they got, Awkward...

Moving back onto the topic at hand, At first glance live and in person I thought it was a clean pop, Shoulder to chest and I'll be damned if I'm going to be convinced otherwise.

Granted the jumping makes it look bad but the Gabba groundsman should get more weeks than May for that damn stupidly hard surface that he cracked his head on after he was knocked on his ass.

I take solace in the fact that for every time I see this posted on social media for every "filthy grub" comment there's a few "clean hit, games gone soft" comment.

I'm happy to play the bad guy on this one. Looking forward to the stream of hate directed at this post.

To close: Ray Lewis would have been proud of that hit, I've gained oodles of respect for Stef Martin for taking it like a champ and not making a fuss over it.

I for one am all for the big hits. And geez wasnt it good to see. Until you realise he hit him high. Left the ground and shouldered him in the head. I don't hate your post or your stance on this. Just think your a tad blind beleiving there is zero head contact with mays shoulder. I would of loved it if may planted his feet and laid his shoulder into martins sternum. Same result minus the knock out. Then we would all be saying footies back.

History of on field violence?
Violence.
Noun.
1. behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt or kill someone.
Synonyms include - savagery, cruelty, sadism, barbarity, inhumanity....
I think you're being a little hysterical describing his soft bump on Rockliff last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back