Rumour Steven May: 'personal issues' and drinking

Remove this Banner Ad

What he said was bang on. We smashed collingwood all over the park. We just couldn't convert. It was hard to watch the granny and see the pies hold up the cup knowing that our midfield tore them to shreds and our defence completely smothered their forwards. If the Afl did a best of 5 series like in the nba then dees would win it. We were better. But when it comes down to 1 game, anything can happen.
0-4 in finals over the last two years. You don't want extra finals games.

I’ve got no problem with him holding that view, but saying it at a B&F was pretty stupid as they are public events now.

It just screams sore loser TBH

I didn’t think that the Pies where the most talented team in the comp this year either but they had by far the best system, pressure and ball movement going around and that’s how they won it.

It’s all just opinion in the end but talent alone won’t win it for you.

What he said was bang on. We smashed collingwood all over the park. We just couldn't convert. It was hard to watch the granny and see the pies hold up the cup knowing that our midfield tore them to shreds and our defence completely smothered their forwards. If the Afl did a best of 5 series like in the nba then dees would win it. We were better. But when it comes down to 1 game, anything can happen.

Yet could only beat Collingwood once in the last 5 matches. Not a good record at all.

I’ve got no problem with him holding that view, but saying it at a B&F was pretty stupid as they are public events now.

It just screams sore loser TBH

I didn’t think that the Pies where the most talented team in the comp this year either but they had by far the best system, pressure and ball movement going around and that’s how they won it.

It’s all just opinion in the end but talent alone won’t win it for you.
Spot on. We’ve got weaknesses in our list but our system and the players buy in to it is non conditional

You were 25 points down at three quarter time. Interesting take on “smashing all over the park”.
There is no “Best of 5 NBA system”, both sides knew what was at stake, both sides had a week off to get ready.
Melbourne failed.

We complain that players act like robots, and one opens up a bit people jump all over them.

Let the players speak FFS. There should be more players giving their honest opinions, not less. Nobody's going to agree with every opinion anyway.

Spot on. We’ve got weaknesses in our list but our system and the players buy in to it is non conditional

Except for Ginnivan who was out at the races the night before the GF and the coach clearly wasn’t happy about.

I don't know how this has descended into an argument about how the Demons deserved to progress, however - that's clearly false.. They did not lower their eyes against us, and sprayed it going inside 50 even worse. With the amount of inside 50's they generated, they could've kicked 140+

They were poor entries, and led to difficult opportunities infront of the sticks.

Besides, Collingwood don't actually need a ton of i50's to win as they can be very effective going inside 50. They usually anchor one forward at the top of their 50, and roll him back towards goal with the view to bring him up at the kicker should nobody else get back and take a mark rolling into their 50, or just take an option streaming into 50 like a J Daicos, J Elliott, B Hill, B McReery etc.

Anyway, I like what May had to say and have no issue with the forum he used to discuss it. Just a bloke with a few beers under his belt being candid and speaking what he believes to be true. Doesn't mean it is true, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how this has descended into an argument about how the Demons deserved to progress, however - that's clearly false.. They did not lower their eyes against us, and sprayed it going inside 50 even worse. With the amount of inside 50's they generated, they could've kicked 140+

They were poor entries, and led to difficult opportunities infront of the sticks.

Besides, Collingwood don't actually need a ton of i50's to win as they can be very effective going inside 50. They usually anchor one forward at the top of their 50, and roll him back towards goal with the view to bring him up at the kicker should nobody else get back and take a mark rolling into their 50, or just take an option streaming into 50 like a J Daicos, J Elliott, B Hill, B McReery etc.

Anyway, I like what May had to say and have no issue with the forum he used to discuss it. Just a bloke with a few beers under his belt being candid and speaking what he believes to be true. Doesn't mean it is true, though.
doesn't believe it's false either. Collingwood scraped over the line in all 3 finals. A lot of luck involved. Especially with some questionable umpiring and tribunal decisions. It does seem that the AFL wanted them to get over the line.

doesn't believe it's false either. Collingwood scraped over the line in all 3 finals. A lot of luck involved. Especially with some questionable umpiring and tribunal decisions. It does seem that the AFL wanted them to get over the line.
Man if there are teams I hope to win every week, except against us - it’s Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide. In that order too. I probably want the Pies to win the least of all, yet I don’t denigrate their achievements.. they’re a deserving winner, games aren’t played on the stat sheet or won by how good your individuals are.

Only thing that matters is the score line and they won all three matches this finals series.

* you Melbourne campaigners have been a riot the past month. You realise the more pissing and moaning you do the more we love it? :hearteyes:

Since 2022, the Grand Final was Collingwood's 17th win from 21 in games that are determined by single figure margins.

If you want to call 'clutch' performances, 'luck' instead, you do you 🤣

Since 2022, the Grand Final was Collingwood's 17th win from 21 in games that are determined by single figure margins.

If you want to call 'clutch' performances, 'luck' instead, you do you 🤣

pies played very very well this year. easily the best side and TBH i dont see how the current melbourne side can top that

People who are triggered by what May said have way too much time on their hands. He clearly made that comment in jest after a few drinks and now everyone feels the need to over analyse it.

was it also luck we finished top of the ladder... with the best %.

Geeez we are lucky and your mob, well unlucky.

get ya hand of it

man at team awards night pumps up said team, fosters optimism and hope for younger players for a push next year. Absolute Nothingburger, while saying that they were 'so much better' is a stretch, who hasn't put a bit of Mayo on a statement in an internal setting?

The media witch-hunt on the dees since the whole Maynard thing has been strange to witness. Someone high up has a little bee in their bonnet. But hey, it's better than being irrelevant 🤷

What the f*** does 'Nothingburger' mean? Couldn't you just write 'nothing'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back