Traded Steven May [traded with Kade Kolodjashnij to Melbourne for pick 6]

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was a Dees fan I wouldn't be worried about paying slight overs on this one. Filling the need was way more important. In 2 years time nobody is going to give a crap whether it should have been pick 6 or something like pick 10.

The great thing about May is that he's the perfect guy to take the best forward so that probably means McDonald moves onto number 2 and Lever gets to do his intercept thing which he is great at. I've always been a big May fan and now that he's playing at a stronger club I wouldn't be shocked if he went on to become a genuine elite player. Probably the most important thing for him is to reign in his aggression just a little bit so he doesn't get suspended as often.

With a good run of injuries Dees could go all the way next year. I think they have done a good job identifying and improving their key weakness in the back half with successive recruitment of Hibberd, Lever and now May. Its OK for them to devote so much resources to the back half because their midfield and forward lines are already working really well.
So you are saying it is slight overs ( which for May and KK by the way) but you have alwaysbeen a big fan and saying he might become a genuine elite player.

I don't get it. Seems a complete contradiction.

As a Suns supporter I have watched May his whole career and you guys have struck gold here.
He will give you guys outstanding service for the next five years.
Speed , aggression ,tough ,beautiful kick everything to be an elite defender.
Icing on the cake.
In my opinion a better pick up than Lynch who has genuine injury concerns long term

With Hogan wanting out, you guys probably did the best you could do for the short-term. But to me, i think you got underpaid for Hogan and then overpaid for May, so unlike many, I don't think it was a good trade period for you guys. I don't think a tall defender was a particular short-term need for Melbourne, so if the top end of the coming draft is as good as people claim, the Dees would have been better off taking Pick 6 to the draft, May is 27 and not elite in my opinion.

I agree with being underpaid for hogan and over paying for may but have to disagree with us needing a KPD, as has been pointed out i dont think oscar is physically big enough to take the like of Hawkins, Lynch and Kennedy and Frost is big enough to but doesnt have the footy smarts. May hasnt been elite but he has also played in a pretty poor team, hopefully he can go to the next level.

Even with the pies, i feel like 2 first rounders for beams was overs for a guy that is 29 and your midfield wasnt really your weak point, but in saying that beams makes your midfield scarily good, you guys paid over for beams but he will make your team much stronger next year which is more than a speculative pick at 18 would have done.

And to be fair we would have probably just picked up another mid at 6 anyway, something we really dont need right away.

In 12 months we will have a better read on this trade.

As a Suns supporter I have watched May his whole career and you guys have struck gold here.
Icing on the cake.
In my opinion a better pick up than Lynch who has genuine injury concerns long term
Great post.

Some melb supporters don't understand how good this trade was for them.

You may not want to hear this as a Suns fan, but this was the most one sided trade of the trade period. That might change if Scully comes good, but I doubt that.

So you are saying it is slight overs ( which for May and KK by the way) but you have alwaysbeen a big fan and saying he might become a genuine elite player.

I don't get it. Seems a complete contradiction.

I'm saying its overs compared to what I would have expected his cost to be based on his performances. Not necessarily overs based on my optimistic view of what he may accomplish at Melbourne. Anyway its all semantics and not really too important.

I'm saying its overs compared to what I would have expected his cost to be based on his performances. Not necessarily overs based on my optimistic view of what he may accomplish at Melbourne. Anyway its all semantics and not really too important.
You know it is May and KK for pick 6.

Nothing but unders for Melb.

I agree with being underpaid for hogan and over paying for may but have to disagree with us needing a KPD, as has been pointed out i dont think oscar is physically big enough to take the like of Hawkins, Lynch and Kennedy and Frost is big enough to but doesnt have the footy smarts. May hasnt been elite but he has also played in a pretty poor team, hopefully he can go to the next level.

I'm looking at the combined trades and I appreciate that Melbourne probably didn't have a choice regarding letting Hogan go, so may have done as well as could be hoped for, but overall I think you guys took a bit of a list hit. The only real reason I'm commenting is because I keep reading how well Melbourne did. In and ideal world where they could keep Hogan, if they really needed a KPD, which I'm not convinced of, they would have been better off keeping Hogan and moving McDonald back.

I'm looking at the combined trades and I appreciate that Melbourne probably didn't have a choice regarding letting Hogan go, so may have done as well as could be hoped for, but overall I think you guys took a bit of a list hit. The only real reason I'm commenting is because I keep reading how well Melbourne did. In and ideal world where they could keep Hogan, if they really needed a KPD, which I'm not convinced of, they would have been better off keeping Hogan and moving McDonald back.

Absoloutly no doubt keeping hogan would have been the ideal situation but i think we would have lost him next year anyway and could have recieved less, plus May might not be available next year.

Moving Mcdonald back wouldnt be that smart in my opinion, he managed to kick 53 goals in 20 games, if he had played the whole season he would have been right up there in the coleman race.

I think we did the best we could out of a crappy situation.

Moving Mcdonald back wouldnt be that smart in my opinion, he managed to kick 53 goals in 20 games, if he had played the whole season he would have been right up there in the coleman race.

I think we did the best we could out of a crappy situation.

Agree on Macdonald up forward. I was just suggesting that if you were really keen on having another tall defender. It sounds like I am overrating your KPD stocks, pre-May. They look pretty good to me. So with my opinion of your other defenders - Oscar, Lever, Frost, I would have taken Pick 6 to the draft, if the top end of this draft is as good as it is reported to be.

Agree on Macdonald up forward. I was just suggesting that if you were really keen on having another tall defender. It sounds like I am overrating your KPD stocks, pre-May. They look pretty good to me. So with my opinion of your other defenders - Oscar, Lever, Frost, I would have taken Pick 6 to the draft, if the top end of this draft is as good as it is reported to be.

I guess our mentality is to try win a flag while our window is open.

For all those knocking the May recruitment & spraying about paying overs, I suggest you watch Melb's finals exit again.

T. McDonald has been gr8 fwd but because the backline was getting smashed, he had to cover there more than fwd and so, wasn't as effective.

Think maybe a lot of you haven't seen too much of May, he is very good.

For all those knocking the May recruitment & spraying about paying overs, I suggest you watch Melb's finals exit again.

T. McDonald has been gr8 fwd but because the backline was getting smashed, he had to cover there more than fwd and so, wasn't as effective.

Think maybe a lot of you haven't seen too much of May, he is very good.

Our finals exit was an anomaly, our midfield did not show up at all and was obliterated by the Eagles midfield.

No matter what defenders were back there, the rate that ball was coming in there was absolutely no hope for any defender.

Icing on the cake.

Mate, nice post considering your team is losing great players, I know how that feels

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our finals exit was an anomaly, our midfield did not show up at all and was obliterated by the Eagles midfield.

No matter what defenders were back there, the rate that ball was coming in there was absolutely no hope for any defender.

Don’t disagree but some of the goals we conceded were basic errors. May will give our backline more benefits than we realise.

Overs for May alone. For May and KK? Great trade for Melbourne.

We were going to get KK for a future 4th but since the May deal went through they just threw KK in instead of getting another pick they won't use.

I'm happy to get May but we overpaid.
What happened with KK to make his value plummet so much? I remember him being a gun in his first couple of years.

Concussion and neck issues I believe.
Still reckon pick 6 will end up being a bargain for those two. KK is a jet if you can keep him healthy. Like a version of Hunt who’s a beautiful kick of the footy.

Brilliant pickup / trade for melbourne

May is the player that the pies are desperate for and have missed out
Melbourne are a young team building very nicely and have a good foward line but were missing a defender that can play on the beast fowards in the game and whilst they may have over paid if they win a flag that wont matter and it will be well worth the trade similar to Boyd (dogs) Prestia (tigers)

Melbourne are now a genuine flag contender and certainly a top 4 team

New 6-6-6 rule. No hand in the back rule anymore. The value of gorilla backmen and forwards has gone up, so any Melbourne supporter who thinks they overpaid for May is insane. If you seriously think Lever and Oscar are up to the task of taking on gorilla forwards when wrestling in marking contests has just been reintroduced...

Question for the Dees supporters, does Kolodjashnij fit in your backline when Lever comes back? Though Salem stepped up this year so have Lever/Salem on the flanks.

I guess KK to a back pocket?

Question for the Dees supporters, does Kolodjashnij fit in your backline when Lever comes back? Though Salem stepped up this year so have Lever/Salem on the flanks.

I guess KK to a back pocket?
I think if he plays it’ll be as a running half back or on the wing. I have a feeling if this guy gets through pre season he’ll be best 22. Interesting to see how he fits in and who’d miss out. Salem is a lock in the side so I’d assume KK will fight it out with Hunt for a spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back