List Mgmt. Steven Motlop nominates Port Adelaide, Geelong declines to match, COMPO IS PICK 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Motlop gets vilified even when another player makes a mistake and Motlop is 30 metres away from the play ... and If you think I'm joking I've heard it multiple times this year.

Nakia you're right
Motlop is villified on here, too many pessimists on here

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can and I have. It was a poor handpass to give.

We can't seriously judge a handball in tight. We can only judge what happened there after.

Yet again Motlop proved he's a confidence player and his issues are clearly between his ears.

For him to have only one outstanding game and more poor games than the ones he does the team things in, he either has to go or his salary is severely reduced.

I love it when he's on song, but that has been too few many times to remember.

We can't seriously judge a handball in tight. We can only judge what happened there after.

Yet again Motlop proved he's a confidence player and his issues are clearly between his ears.

For him to have only one outstanding game and more poor games than the ones he does the team things in, he either has to go or his salary is severely reduced.

I love it when he's on song, but that has been too few many times to remember.
Nope. It was a bad turnover but I'm sick of Motlop being the scapegoat on here. He shouldn't have been given the ball to begin with.

Are you just going to ignore the easy out ball Motlop had down the line and say he made the right decision blindly turning into traffic?
"easy out ball"... He's got no left foot so not exactly easy.
It was a s**t turnover, for that there is no argument.

I think you can trace the turning point back to him rocking up fat to pre-season before the 2016 season. Pretty much from then on, he's gone from being a fan favorite to scapegoat.

Football is a meritocratic environment and it's telling to see how much more successful Aboriginal people are compared to other industries. But in this particular case, I think fans have a vivid image of Motlop and his vest and don't think they'd be forgiving of any player Aboriginal, white or whatever afterward if their form was anything less than stellar.

Doesn't need a left foot to handball it down the line to said easy outball.
Nope. Henderson had a player less than 2m away from him, a 15m handpass merely puts Henderson under pressure.
You will get no squabbles about it being a bad turnover, I'm not budging on it being a poor handpass to him, in the pocket, with Pies players around him.

Doesn't need a left foot to handball it down the line to said easy outball.

There was no easy kick down the line, Henderson was covered, the correct defensive option was to handpass it backwards to Thurlow.
He made a wrong choice to handpass it to Guthrie because he was running straight into the Collingwood player; as it was, the Collingwood player received the ball direct from Motlop instead of by tackling Guthrie, because it was misdirected by a good 2 metres or more.
It was a bad choice, poorly executed.

There was no easy kick down the line, Henderson was covered, the correct defensive option was to handpass it backwards to Thurlow.
He made a wrong choice to handpass it to Guthrie because he was running straight into the Collingwood player; as it was, the Collingwood player received the ball direct from Motlop instead of by tackling Guthrie, because it was misdirected by a good 2 metres or more.

That was the handpass down the line I was talking about. Not the one to Henderson, the one backwards to Thurlow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'
Quoting for accuracy....an easy out was hand balling backwards...Motlop chose the wrong option. In the context of the game, it was a poor error.

That being said, I wouldn't crucify him for it. (even if I wanted him burnt at the stake when watching it)

Completely agree..

And for balance, #35 has made some poorly executed instances as well.

Of course, he balances them out better as well.

Go Catters

Completely agree..

And for balance, #35 has made some poorly executed instances as well.

Of course, he balances them out better as well.

Go Catters

Well, I wasn't going to say this, but if we are going to pillory people for poor defensive turnover handpasses resulting in opposition goals, then Tom Lonergan would have spent a fair amount of time in the stocks over the past 2 or 3 years.

I think the issue people have with him is price vs output.. From what I understand he is on a very high salary and given that we should not put up with his inconsistency in output. For that reason he either takes a big pay cut or hopefully we can move him on for something (salary cap space or some picks/player).
I'd say that is spot on, and people can wring their hands all they like about him getting unfairly judged... but the facts are that he will always be judged on if he is value for money. If he is 'on' he is absolutely worth every dollar he gets. If he isn't on he can look uninterested and timid, the worst of someone that plays his game will always look bad.. but if you are one of the highest paid players in the side there are certain expectations for your performance... and I have no issue with people questioning someone if they aren't meeting these expectations
And I don't think many would dispute his form hasn't been as good since his last deal as it was prior to that

I'd say that is spot on, and people can wring their hands all they like about him getting unfairly judged... but the facts are that he will always be judged on if he is value for money. If he is 'on' he is absolutely worth every dollar he gets. If he isn't on he can look uninterested and timid, the worst of someone that plays his game will always look bad.. but if you are one of the highest paid players in the side there are certain expectations for your performance... and I have no issue with people questioning someone if they aren't meeting these expectations
And I don't think many would dispute his form hasn't been as good since his last deal as it was prior to that
He hasn't performed well but he's a forward and a goal kicker. We saw how how went in rnd 1 playing forward.
He's way too good to be a "running pattern" pressure mid or whatever we call them IMO.
Just get the athletes who aren't great footballers to do that sort of stuff.
Put your xfactor and talented players forward.
You don't see eg. a Robbie Gray or a Chad Wingard playing that sort of role cause it's just a big waste.

He got paid on what he'd delivered and the promise of more of that and an expansion of that base.

And overall, he's missed there. So there is a difference between promise and delivery.

Thus, its unlikely that he will get the same again. That said, he can still deliver.

Im not for killing him over one moment in a game - and honestly he's had worse. Pulling out of the contest in the GCS game and Pies game earlier in the year IMO was way worse than a bad handball in this one

HE can still offer the team upside - but at a lesser $$ level.

Go Catters

Let him go, partying like a maniac with a few of the Newtown & Chilwell boys on Saturday night. Eyes like dinner plates. Who knows, maybe it will bring out cousins like form over the rest of the season.

Let him go, partying like a maniac with a few of the Newtown & Chilwell boys on Saturday night. Eyes like dinner plates. Who knows, maybe it will bring out cousins like form over the rest of the season.
Not having a crack Chook, just curious... Did you see him first hand or is it 2nd hand knowledge?

Not having a crack Chook, just curious... Did you see him first hand or is it 2nd hand knowledge?
First hand. I know it's unfair to hold him to a higher standard than myself or others that were around, but Jesus I know twos players locally who stop drinking let alone other stuff 6 weeks before finals. Can't be that hard surely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back