Bumped Steven Motlop (merged roast threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

motlop is getting slammed for 2 ok games
but veryone is geting excited about recruiting a 35 year who was shite last week

I thought he was very good against Freo - looked like the Motlop of 2013

Very ordinary against NMelb - clever bit of play in the last - resulted in a critical goal

Revisit this thread 7-8 games in

Absolutely. Also find it funny that when the team is down, Motlop is the scapegoat. What about the 16 other poor performers at the time?!
Another poster put it very well (or maybe it was you?) - he's effectively the barometer, because he's dependent on others to get the ball to him to a certain extent. To that end, there are very very few games where Motlop has played well in a losing side.

Another poster put it very well (or maybe it was you?) - he's effectively the barometer, because he's dependent on others to get the ball to him to a certain extent. To that end, there are very very few games where Motlop has played well in a losing side.
I agree with that completely, here is the closest thing I said to that:
Or it's just the natural ebb and flow of a player who is best when winning most of his possessions away from the contest.

Some days he'll roll a 6, other days he'll roll a 1. A bit like permanent forwards, he relies on the rest of the team to have a large impact on the game.

We like to see patterns and call them something, but I'm not sure if his form or fitness has changed at all over the season.

As long as he doesn't become the 'gasometer' ( apologies to Mick Nolan . Only those older heads amongst us will get that lame joke)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like he saying - if Motlop plays well enough that we want to keep him we are on a good thing for the future.

But if he plays really well, gets taken as a restricted free agent then we also win because:
- we free about $600k from the salary cap
- we receive a round 1 (maybe round 2) compensation pick
- we then use that freed up salary cap space and either the newly acquired draft pick and/or the 2nd round pick linked to Carlton to get Ablett from the Suns.

I'm sorry but if we are going to pay Ablett anywhere near $600k and give up draft picks on the order of round 1 and/or 2 then he isn't worth it.

If Motlop leaves and we get a 1st round pick I hope we take it to the draft ourselves

What they're saying without saying it is that if Motlop has a good season, the club can offload him to free up salary cap space and/or obtain a good draft pick to use on Ablett, or someone else.
Which all and sundry already knew anyway. Just seems like he was struggling to find something to write about so closed his eyes and his finger landed on number 32.

Seems to have lost some pace this year.
I noticed this in the first JLT game, I'm pretty sure I commented on that same thing on here. He has definitely lost pace, and that's not a good thing for his style of play. I reckon he'll be traded at year end.

I am actually indifferent if he is traded or not.

Christ Ralph is a complete degenerate, we're trying to win flags. Trading Motlop for Ablett isn't the answer. The HS is full of it.

If we are trying to win a premiership, surely Ablett achieves a lot more than what Motlop will next year?
Even if Gary's possessions drop to 24, half of those will still be contested possessions and then you factor in his ability to kick a goal and we are essentially talking about a superior version of Motlop and that's a declining Ablett.
Furthermore, you would not need to worry about him under-performing in a final like you do with Motlop.

And of course, if you don't think Geelong are a chance at premiership (I don't), then we may as well use the Motlop 1st rounder on a young CHF.

Gold Coast would be dumb enough to give him 800K what does that get us
A pick let's say 10-18

Actually well after seeing this Frawley got Melbourne a Pick 3
Heck hopefully a top 10 pick how good would that be

Gold Coast would be dumb enough to give him 800K what does that get us
A pick let's say 10-18

Actually well after seeing this Frawley got Melbourne a Pick 3
Heck hopefully a top 10 pick how good would that be

Compensation picks are tied to a club's original draft position, coming one pick afterwards (unless they're specified end-of-round picks). Geelong would only receive a top 10 pick if they finished in the bottom half of the ladder, which I assume you don't want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back