List Mgmt. Steven Motlop nominates Port Adelaide, Geelong declines to match, COMPO IS PICK 19

I thought listening to that Wells interview that Mots is GOOONNNEEE
Was the quickest brush over and slight change of direction you'd hear

EDIT: I didn't realise this would become an OP for a thread and thus it wasn't written as one, was simply an obvservation amongst an interview being discussed

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought listening to that Wells interview that Mots is GOOONNNEEE
Was the quickest brush over and slight change of direction you'd hear

The interviewer asked him, what about Motlop, is he a free agent this year? Wells answered: yes, he's a restricted free agent, and Menzel is an unrestricted free agent.
The interviewer (not Wells) then changed tack and asked about something else.

People are reading an awful lot into a 7 minute interview, of which about 2-3 minutes was about player contracts for next year.

The interviewer asked him, what about Motlop, is he a free agent this year? Wells answered: yes, he's a restricted free agent, and Menzel is an unrestricted free agent.
The interviewer (not Wells) then changed tack and asked about something else.

People are reading an awful lot into a 7 minute interview, of which about 2-3 minutes was about player contracts for next year.
I did think it was poor by Granland to not follow it up with another question.. but I do think Mots is gone based on a tiny bit of information from a source who does miss at times as well.. and by gut feel.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I did think it was poor by Granland to not follow it up with another question.. but I do think Mots is gone based on a tiny bit of information from a source who does miss at times as well.. and by gut feel.

You may be right, you may be wrong, but I don't think there was anything in the interview to tell us one way or another.

In fact the interview smacked very much of "Wellsy, can you give us 5 minutes?" "Well yeah, but make it snappy, I'm watching this junior match". ;)

You may be right, you may be wrong, but I don't think there was anything in the interview to tell us one way or another.

In fact the interview smacked very much of "Wellsy, can you give us 5 minutes?" "Well yeah, but make it snappy, I'm watching this junior match". ;)
I did note it killed off a few myths that recruiting/trade calls are all Scotts fault, or Wells etc etc... and as anyone with a brain would realise a group decision

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I did note it killed off a few myths that recruiting/trade calls are all Scotts fault, or Wells etc etc... and as anyone with a brain would realise a group decision

Particularly when coupled with Scott's previous categorical statement that it's a collaborative decision, but that in the case of an impasse (Scott's actual expression), Wells has the final say.

Not related specifically to Motlop, (although it may be) but Wells gave a slight impression that he has plans to trade back into the first round at the draft.

That may involve a compensation pick for Motlop or it may involve another avenue whether that be a player swap or a swap of picks.

I think Motlop will stay.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Not related specifically to Motlop, (although it may be) but Wells gave a slight impression that he has plans to trade back into the first round at the draft.

That may involve a compensation pick for Motlop or it may involve another avenue whether that be a player swap or a swap of picks.

I think Motlop will stay.

It was more like a distant shadow of a hint. But it was there.:D

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I posted quite some time back now that I though Mots was playing like a footballer who already knew were he's be next year and that's not Geelong,that's my gut feeling.

Motlop "gone" presumes someone else wants him....which wasn't the case in the last trading period. He's talented and in our best 22...I thought he was ok last week...

Anyway...the topic is Jake...and it seems he is keen on staying if reports are anything near accurate.

Motlop "gone" presumes someone else wants him....which wasn't the case in the last trading period. He's talented and in our best 22...I thought he was ok last week...

Anyway...the topic is Jake...and it seems he is keen on staying if reports are anything near accurate.

There may have been clubs interested last year, but knowing he was a free agent this year they decided to hold off for 12 months

Yes and no I think people need to read between the lines a bit, clearly Wells consults and collaborates among the whole club but ultimately he makes the call on all our list management decisions. Last trade period for me shows that well it's pretty clear Deledio wanted to come and both the players and coaches were keen for him to come but Wells wasn't so he didn't pursue it (I suspect he didn't fit the 24-27 age group that Wells likes to recruit and that was that) and equally the players wanted Caddy to stay and the coaches were happy enough for that to happen but Wells saw more value in the draft pick so he shifted him (early days but it looks like Wells got both those calls right). Equally Tuohy was a Wells call. He consults the whole club for their opinions but he's not afraid to make the calls himself irrespective of anything else.

It's one of the reasons why I think Motlop could go even if he and the players and coaches want him to stay, if Wells really rates the draft and wants picks in the first 2 rounds or he wants picks to trade for players he has lined up (ala Tuohy) or he wants the cap room to use on other contracts then Motlop will be gone regardless of what he or anybody else wants. I still reckon Motlop will stay but I am convinced it will be Wells call.

Incidentally it's also why GC will be wasting their time trying to get us to trade anything of value for Ablett as while i reckon the players and coaches would be happy to do that it will be Wells call and I can't see him trading decent draft picks for a player of that age.

Motlop is a high risk high reward player though, big difference for clubs between trading a first rounder for that type of player (this would have been our asking price last year) or no trade and salary only (what he costs this year) so last year doesn't tell us much about whether clubs will be interested this year.

Agree on Jake and the news we are in negotiations is good.

I posted quite some time back now that I though Mots was playing like a footballer who already knew were he's be next year and that's not Geelong,that's my gut feeling.
Yep, mine too.

Let's face it... Motlop hasn't looked happy at Geelong for quite some time now. He's gone I reckon and I'd be surprised if the club didn't have a fair idea as to what his plans are aswell.

Said something similar earlier in the year watching him play, he is playing not to be hurt

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I can't understand why Motlop gets so much negativity from our own fans. If he goes we will struggle to replace him. It's more difficult to see on tv the impact he has. But at games you can see the link up and running he does. I'd be keen to see him spend more time forward especially with the injuries we've got there.
If we got a first round pick as compo obviously that could be used to get a good player and on less money. But I'd be disappointed to lose him and could see him playing very well at another club.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Really going to diminish Geelong's forward potency losing Menzel and Motlop in one go. Hopefully some more forwards can be drafted to fill the hole. Makes getting someone like Smith a necessity.
I also think they both will go. But I also think GAJ and DSmith are already done deals and have been since the beginning of this year.
Menzel's marking ability will be hard to replace though.

Back