List Mgmt. Steven Motlop nominates Port Adelaide, Geelong declines to match, COMPO IS PICK 19

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't recall Kelly disappearing much last year.
It's what made last week a bit surprising/disappointing.
nearly won our B & F, but I seem to recall some very innocuous games between the great ones.
He seems a real all or none player to me
Way to say a lot by saying very little. :thumbsu:

The last two years where his disposals were right on his career averages (and well above in the 2017 finals series) and he also kicked sixty goals as well, those two "poor" years you mean.

Not sure if serious.

Way to say a lot by saying very little. :thumbsu:

The last two years where his disposals were right on his career averages (and well above in the 2017 finals series) and he also kicked sixty goals as well, those two "poor" years you mean.

Not sure if serious.
You mean the years where most people were screaming for him to be dropped? Or the years the club tried to trade him and got no takers? Or the year we didn’t offer him a contract and let him walk so we could take the compo?

I’m talking about his last 2 years at the club. He put in some shocking efforts. Just looked completely disinterested at times. He had some good years earlier in his career.
Ohhhhhh “never”. ;)

You mean the years where most people were screaming for him to be dropped? Or the years the club tried to trade him and got no takers? Or the year we didn’t offer him a contract and let him walk so we could take the compo?

"Most" people, gilding the lily again I see.

And don't hide behind what the club did (they also got rid of Chapman and Johnson while they were still playing excellent footy don't forget) Motlop's last two years were very good by any measure, eighteen disposals and an average of thirty goals is not the output of someone "running around at half pace, wanting to be somewhere else"

Tell me there is not serious discussion comparing the merits of Motlop and Kelly?

I was one who said we would not be able to replace what Motlop provided as he was one of the few that could run and provide spark (when he was on). Happy to eat my words on that very humbly. Kelly has been nothing short of superb.

Which reminds me, I think it was Willo_ who at the end of 2017 told me he’d heard the club had their eyes on a player in the draft they were confident would replace Motlop. Bloody oath!

Bit like Kelly? Maybe 3-4 good ones , then nearly invisible
If you’re talking about last week Kelly was playing injured and had de Boer on him for part of the game

If you’re talking about last week Kelly was playing injured and had de Boer on him for part of the game
Referring to some games last year, not that many, but enough to make me recall them.

Sorry don't you mean Kelly - 25 outstanding games and one shocker where he may have been carrying an injury? Was it a joke?
No joke. Some games last year were very quiet. They were not all outstanding.

Tell me there is not serious discussion comparing the merits of Motlop and Kelly?

I was one who said we would not be able to replace what Motlop provided as he was one of the few that could run and provide spark (when he was on). Happy to eat my words on that very humbly. Kelly has been nothing short of superb.

Which reminds me, I think it was Willo_ who at the end of 2017 told me he’d heard the club had their eyes on a player in the draft they were confident would replace Motlop. Bloody oath!
There is worthwhile serious discussion - the comparisons are there. Motlop was great for us early on. Kelly has been a sheer revelation, but no need decrying the value that Motlop was early on- he too was one of our MVP's for a few seasons.
Let's see how we remember Kelly next year when he's in WA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those "quiet" games obviously robbed Kelly of the B&F
Given that Blic won it, and I was about the only person who wanted/thought that would happen, there did not need to be a full season of great games to win it.

Those "quiet" games obviously robbed Kelly of the B&F
He had some quiet games. There's no doubts about it. Anyone that remembers the season knows it.
Same with the guy who reckons Motlop wasn't inconsistent in his last few years.
He was. Anyone who remembers those years knows that too.
Not that it matters with Kelly .Amazing first year performance.

"Most" people, gilding the lily again I see.

And don't hide behind what the club did (they also got rid of Chapman and Johnson while they were still playing excellent footy don't forget) Motlop's last two years were very good by any measure, eighteen disposals and an average of thirty goals is not the output of someone "running around at half pace, wanting to be somewhere else"
He was the board whipping boy. Yes “most” people were fuming at his lack of effort. Especially his stick his arm out fake tackle attempts. Not to mention his avoidance of contact.

Go back and read game reviews from that year. He had some shockers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back