Recommitted Steven Motlop

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that was pretty lazy. But my question is, which team actually wants him?

Id definitely have him at the dogs. Our structure, intensity and ball winning masked our lack of class and skill in the forward half.

I think he can get motivated again in the right environment and id be confident that beveridge can get the best out of him.

I think plenty of teams would have Motlop but no one wants to give up a first rounder for him.

Its a massive risk. If you get the Motlop who performs brilliantly its a steal. If you get the Motlop who was selfish in the QF and went missing in the PF then you have been screwed.

And no-one can state with any certainty which of the 2 he will be.

Its a massive risk. If you get the Motlop who performs brilliantly its a steal. If you get the Motlop who was selfish in the QF and went missing in the PF then you have been screwed.

And no-one can state with any certainty which of the 2 he will be.

I almost prefer to keep him, with the suspicion he plays well in what will be a contract year...

Its just not worth it for Geelong to trade Motlop for anything less than a 1st rounder despite the fact that he probably isn't worth a first rounder off the back of his last game. Geelong fans have seen the heights he can reach and as others have mentioned, maybe playing in a contract year might encourage him to put in more effort and consistency.

Very good point. So the Cats should put him on rolling $850k x 1 year contracts.

I don't know where u get the $850 figure....? I'm thinking along the lines of $600k for a good AA half forward.
But if he plays at a AA standard that he has before i guess rolling 1 year contracts will work for us... It has for Sammy for the last 4 years or so.

Apparently only on 500k at the moment so not sure why they'd put him on 850k.

Was a bit of a joke. $500k x 4 years where 2 years he is great, 2 years he is average. If he only does well in contract years then give him a heap more but 1 year contracts so he is always going to have great years.

I don't know where u get the $850 figure....? I'm thinking along the lines of $600k for a good AA half forward.
But if he plays at a AA standard that he has before i guess rolling 1 year contracts will work for us... It has for Sammy for the last 4 years or so.

For older players it makes sense. They are more likely to get injuries which will end their career, and it also encourages them to keep on pushing hard.

Very few players leave football and end up earning more money anywhere else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are getting Vardy for free under that. How did you mind come to the conclusion that that says vardy costs you a first?
the fact we are losing two first round picks and only gaining vardy and prestia

I reckon behind the scenes that the Cat's footy admin must be pissed at the lack of interest in Motlop as they probably need him to go for a good price in order to help land Lids and Tuohy. Lids reportedly told the Cats a while back that he wanted to join them, and with no other notable player going and with salary cap now drum tight for them they lack both the salary cap space and trade value to land the two players that they would love to have.

I reckon behind the scenes that the Cat's footy admin must be pissed at the lack of interest in Motlop as they probably need him to go for a good price in order to help land Lids and Tuohy. Lids reportedly told the Cats a while back that he wanted to join them, and with no other notable player going and with salary cap now drum tight for them they lack both the salary cap space and trade value to land the two players that they would love to have.

Didn't you hear we are trading Smedts and Caddy for Tuohy and Deledio? Trade period is like Christmas for us

And motlop. You know. The guy this thread is about.
well then i apologize the way i read it i was sure he had motlop going to the suns. and us paying 2 first rounders for prestia and vardy. should probably read clearer when im drinking scotch

Its just not worth it for Geelong to trade Motlop for anything less than a 1st rounder despite the fact that he probably isn't worth a first rounder off the back of his last game. Geelong fans have seen the heights he can reach and as others have mentioned, maybe playing in a contract year might encourage him to put in more effort and consistency.

Salary cap.

Beauty is both Lids and Tuohy weren't born and bread in Geelong so they have to pony up for both.

Geelong have been pretty naive thinking they will get anything for Motlop.

They do realize the football world watches finals don't they?

Caleb daniel's prelim and grand final were bad. Very bad. I reckon we'd get a top 10 pick for him.

Motlop had one good final and one bad one. Gotta look at the body of work.

I very much hope Jason McCartney is watching this situation very closely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back