Recommitted Steven Motlop

Remove this Banner Ad

Can let him go next year for better return. No need to move now.

You get the feeling that the Cats don't agree.

Motlop is relatively overpaid.
Cats want to create cap space for other deals now
Motlop underperformed in finals.
Cats are clearly shopping Motlop now

It seems pretty simple.

If the Cats can get rid of Motlop to create space even if they have to take unders in trade terms they will - if it helps them get Lids.

Be interesting to see what happens.

You get the feeling that the Cats don't agree.

Motlop is relatively overpaid.
Cats want to create cap space for other deals now
Motlop underperformed in finals.
Cats are clearly shopping Motlop now

It seems pretty simple.

If the Cats can get rid of Motlop to create space even if they have to take unders in trade terms they will - if it helps them get Lids.

Be interesting to see what happens.

I reckon your wrong on most of your points as it's based on your own opinion.... IMO.;)
There will be no "getting rid of Mots for cap space".
There will be plenty of money to go around with Boris & Bartel money....:)

I reckon your wrong on most of your points as it's based on your own opinion.... IMO.;)
There will be no "getting rid of Mots for cap space".
There will be plenty of money to go around with Boris & Bartel money....:)

Ah guess we find out in a week or so.

I'm tipping Motlop goes for less than a first rounder.

At least neither of us has said 'bookmark it'...;)

Caleb daniel's prelim and grand final were bad. Very bad. I reckon we'd get a top 10 pick for him.

Motlop had one good final and one bad one. Gotta look at the body of work.

I very much hope Jason McCartney is watching this situation very closely.

Cant image you would have the cap space...especially if you get Cloke.

It depends how desperate Geelong are to tip Motlop out for salary cap relief. He's worth a good pick but its sounds like nobody is interested so they won't get it.

Would clubs consider:

Essendon: Motlop
Richmond: Pick 20
Geelong: Deledio

?

Id happily give our second rounder from the Hibberd trade for him. Or even 19. He has the leg speed we need, might be inconsistent but we can live with that.

We threw $700k a year at Hurley. Cap space there is.

Cats would need to stump up for some of his salary.

And we appear to be trading out established players like Stevens that would be earning a lot more than the draftees replacing them. Plus Minson is retiring and he was on big bucks.

No cap issue at the Dogs.

Allegedly $500k....

Bartel's $450k Kersten's $300k Mackie's $450 Vardy's $250k will do wonders to our tight cap i reckon...

Then why is Wells saying your cap is tight? And this may stop you getting Lids and Tuohy?

Just doesn't gel with what you are saying.

It depends how desperate Geelong are to tip Motlop out for salary cap relief. He's worth a good pick but its sounds like nobody is interested so they won't get it.

Would clubs consider:

?
I would consider doing that. Considering Deledio's age, I'd have thought that is fair for him. Unders on Motlop, but between the salary cap relief and the perceived risk, Geelong might do it.

Depends a lot for us if we can do the 2 for 1 deal on pick #1. If we can get two good young kids in, then trading #20 (or the Hibberd pick) for Motlop doesn't hurt the development side much, and has a lot of upside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we appear to be trading out established players like Stevens that would be earning a lot more than the draftees replacing them. Plus Minson is retiring and he was on big bucks.

No cap issue at the Dogs.

Then why is Wells saying your cap is tight? And this may stop you getting Lids and Tuohy?

Just doesn't gel with what you are saying

Wells comment is correct at this point in time.
If you actually read what i wrote.....
With Bartel retiring, Kersten off to Freo, Mackie most likely retiring and Vardy off to Port or where ever...
There is about 1.3 Million free.... More than enough for Touhy & Lids.
So i hope that helps it all GEL for you :)

Wells comment is correct at this point in time.
If you actually read what i wrote.....
With Bartel retiring, Kersten off to Freo, Mackie most likely retiring and Vardy off to Port or where ever...
There is about 1.3 Million free.... More than enough for Touhy & Lids.
So i hope that helps it all GEL for you :)

Mackie and Bartel have a year each to go, and I haven't heard they are retiring. Can't see Mackie letting coin go to waste especially. But you seem to know otherwise.

Surely Vardy is on minimum as he rarely plays? Doubt a non best 22 like Kersten is on much either.

But all good, you seem to know best. :thumbsu:

Would clubs consider:

?
I'd do that trade as a Tiger

Would clubs consider:

?

If that pick 20 enabled us to get Prestia without giving up pick 6 I would be all for it.

The only thing is I think it is blatantly obvious that no clubs want Motlop for whatever reason and so the Dons could probably get him cheaper than that.

If that pick 20 enabled us to get Prestia without giving up pick 6 I would be all for it.

The only thing is I think it is blatantly obvious that no clubs want Motlop for whatever reason and so the Dons could probably get him cheaper than that.
The more I think about Geelong's trading plans so far, I think that Touhy is a done deal since they've offered him a contract and I think Deledio will depend entirely on if Motlop is traded (salary cap). If Geelong can't convince someone to pay a price that'll suit the Deledio trade then the trade won't happen and Lids will come to Geelong as a FA next year, with Motlop likely leaving as a FA then too.

The more I think about Geelong's trading plans so far, I think that Touhy is a done deal since they've offered him a contract and I think Deledio will depend entirely on if Motlop is traded (salary cap). If Geelong can't convince someone to pay a price that'll suit the Deledio trade then the trade won't happen and Lids will come to Geelong as a FA next year, with Motlop likely leaving as a FA then too.
If that happened, you would get no compo for Motlop.

And from the experience over on the Blues board with us getting none for Eddie Betts (75 or so goals this year as a tiny forward) because we brought in Daisy for somewhere between 2 and 3 million (can't kick the required 15 metres, or run), you will never, ever hear the end of it.

I think teams would be interested in Motlop but no way you would show your hand now. Will be a last couple of days type of deal you'd think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back