Steven Silvagni: Football's Biggest Fraud

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaun Hampson Six years ago
Chris Yarran Four years ago
Ben Griffiths 10 years ago
Nathan Drummond 5 years ago, did two ACLs or he might have made it.
Riley Collier-Dawkins (shown nothing despite all the midfield injuries wow) 1st year player, played his best game for the year in the VFL grand final. The one we won. Along with the AFL one.
Fraser turner (who?) 1st year player, youngest in the draft. Averaged 20+ disposals at VFL level.
Luke English 1st year player, late draft pick
Todd Elton 8 years ago, in the most compromised draft in history
Taylor Hunt (why??) Lol, you're getting desperate
Ben Lennon 6 years ago
Jake Batchelor 9 years ago, compromised draft
Ben Miller 2nd year tall, late pick, won't make it
Reece McKenzie Mental health troll
Troy Chaplin 6 years ago
Liam McBean 7 years ago
Adam Marcon (for every Lambert you’ll find a marcon) 4 years ago
Andrew Moore (and another) 5 years ago
Ryan garthwaite (another terrible pick at 72. What a waste of a pick) Lol
Tyson Stengel (what a waste of a rookie pick. They can’t all be castagnas I suppose) Traded him for more than we paid for him.
Castagna would be your best forward, btdubs.

I can write a s**t list too over the last 3 years. Who’s is longer? Why no category B rookie picks. (Our premiership ruckman Ivan Soldo was a Category B pick. So was Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, the next Houli. And if the Academies had come in a year earlier we'd have had Ratugolea and Simpkin.) What a waste of a draft opportunity. It’s amazing how bad some players look in a developing side. If mullet, O’Shea, Jaksch or whiley has of been drafted to Richmond over the same period in the same system they probably could of been developed at an appropriate rate in a side that could wait. At Carlton we needed them now and they weren’t capable of being the go to people. You have 10-12 players that are the focus at Richmond all in the right age bracket. Midfielders with experience to help develop the players right and minimal injuries apart from very recently exposing depth. And you also get the privilege of bringing in 25-28 year old while I’m the window. We are not in the window. Sos has brought in arguably the best young KP players under the age of 23 at both ends. Watch out. It’ll turn very quickly.
Three years, huh? You can't even count. Then again, perhaps you are just gob-smackingly ignorant.

"Sos has brought in arguably the best young KP players under the age of 23 at both ends." Lol. No.

Part of the reason you're not in the window is Sos bringing in s**t trucks like Mullett, O'Shea and co, where we brought in guns like Houli, Grigg, Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis.

Last edited:
You are a classic know nothing MB poster. Thanks for playing.

View attachment 768649View attachment 768649

I have Rance as the best defender in the comp but that stat isn’t an accurate reflection of 1v1 contests. It counts Rance’s work as a loose defender* picking off loose opposition players with his closing speed as 1 on 1 contests. That’s how he has so many more than the next closest key defenders because of the role he plays at Richmond.

If Rance has a weakness as a defender I would say it is when caught in a traditional 1v1 contest in a battle of strength.

*I’m aware Rance isn’t really a designated loose defender but am unsure how else to categorise his role in Richmond’s zone accurately.

No.
You were 13 months older on average than Sydney when you beat them. Average age 25 years 1 month to 24 years 0 months. 25 years 1 month, that's not a young side, not the profile of a rebuilding side.
You were 14 months older per man when you beat Gold Coast, and 11 months older when you lost to them. At home.
You were the same age as St Kilda when you beat them.
FFS, you were 2 months older per player than Richmond when we beat you the second time!
I hope you’re looking at median not mean as it’s a better indicator for skewed data. Lol.

Three years, huh? You can't even count. Then again, perhaps you are just gob-smackingly ignorant.

"Sos has brought in arguably the best young KP players under the age of 23 at both ends." Lol. No.

Part of the reason you're not in the window is Sos bringing in s**t trucks like Mullett, O'Shea and co, where we brought in guns like Houli, Grigg, Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis.
I’m glad you put so much effort into my list. I was making up one just to take the piss out of this terrible witch hunt that this board is. Just move on from Carlton and sos. It’s a worthless exercise. People make mistakes in the trade period. I just googled Richmond’s list and picked who I thought was s**t.

I suppose it’s good that the “how s**t is Carlton” super page has gone but it’s just turned into something else.

Nah not jealous. No skin in the game re Weitering either.

Just saying that if you swapped Rance with say, Jake Carlisle, then Carlisle would be racking up the accolades and awards while Rance is cracking the shits and forearming prone players in the back of the head.

Andrews, Rampe, Davis, Talia, Jonas, Frawley and Hooker all better 1 v 1 than Rance.

Howe, Sicily, Hurley, McGovern and Carlisle all as good (if not better) at playing the loose CHB/3rd man role.

It's not an insult to Rance. It's a massive credit to Richmond that their system works the way it does. Rance plays his role to a T but it's not because he is some uber elite defender like Matty Scarlett. He's closer to Tom Harley/Nick Maxwell/Chris Newman in the role he plays. Stick any half decent player in that spot for that team and they would grab an AA nomination.
Delete your account.

I have Rance as the best defender in the comp but that stat isn’t an accurate reflection of 1v1 contests. It counts Rance’s work as a loose defender* picking off loose opposition players with his closing speed as 1 on 1 contests. That’s how he has so many more than the next closest key defenders because of the role he plays at Richmond.

If Rance has a weakness as a defender I would say it is when caught in a traditional 1v1 contest in a battle of strength.

*I’m aware Rance isn’t really a designated loose defender but am unsure how else to categorise his role in Richmond’s zone accurately.

“BEST ONE ON ONE DEFENDER”. Did you actually read the columns? If you don’t watch him or trust the people who do watch, or believe your own eyes with what i posted, then i can’t help you.
C71E3947-6C14-4AE4-AAC9-8F0A72D9D8A6.jpeg

2020 and 2021 will be big tests for Silvagni's list management. That's when the long-term plan reaches its prime.

Players on Carlton's list aged 23-29 in 2019 and available to play: Cripps, McGovern, Newman, Lang, Plowman, Phillips, Casboult (plus Curnow/Kreuzer who were 29 for part of the season and 30 for part). That's 1 star, 2-3 decent players and a bunch of journeymen. That's it - 7 players for the entire list in their prime

Players on Carlton's list aged 23-29 in 2021: Silvagni, SPS, Kennedy, Cripps, McKay, McGovern, Docherty, Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering, Newman, Fisher, Macreadie, Cuningham, Polson, Curnow, Williamson, Setterfield, Pittonet (Martin) + anyone we recruit in the meantime. That's 20 players, with 15 currently best 22 (and likely to therefore still be there).

It takes time if you rebuild through the draft, but the next 2 years will see a lot of players entering their peak years; and you would hope to see a commensurate improvement in performance That's where we'll start questioning if we aren't improving...

“BEST ONE ON ONE DEFENDER”. Did you actually read the columns? If you don’t watch him or trust the people who do watch, or believe your own eyes with what i posted, then i can’t help you.
View attachment 768751

But it’s the system he plays in ;)

Seriously though SOS is a disaster and the recent trade period was that of a man with zero plan.

Let’s no forget that the blues pursued Brandon Ellis and Dan Butler from a fair way out, and then when something shinier came along the blues just dropped both. Player managers will be skeptical of interest from Carlton in their players in the future. It’s a bad look.

Then to completely * up the Martin Trade because they were so obsessed with Papley. A player the swans said wouldn’t be traded unless they got Daniher. SOS should of had 9 down to 15 plus the 2nd ready to go with an hour left.

Player managers would have to have reservations about Carlton in future. Is their interest real and can they get the trade done? Managers are a huge part in facilitating trades and they weigh up these things when trying to move players.

But it’s the system he plays in ;)

Seriously though SOS is a disaster and the recent trade period was that of a man with zero plan.

Let’s no forget that the blues pursued Brandon Ellis and Dan Butler from a fair way out, and then when something shinier came along the blues just dropped both. Player managers will be skeptical of interest from Carlton in their players in the future. It’s a bad look.

Then to completely fu** up the Martin Trade because they were so obsessed with Papley. A player the swans said wouldn’t be traded unless they got Daniher. SOS should of had 9 down to 15 plus the 2nd ready to go with an hour left.

Player managers would have to have reservations about Carlton in future. Is their interest real and can they get the trade done? Managers are a huge part in facilitating trades and they weigh up these things when trying to move players.

Even though both Martin and Papley’s managers have said they are very happy with how Carlton handled the trades and that we couldn’t have done much more? Martin will most likely get to us on an inflated contract now so I’m sure he’s not exactly spewing.

Next.

Even though both Martin and Papley’s managers have said they are very happy with how Carlton handled the trades and that we couldn’t have done much more? Martin will most likely get to us on an inflated contract now so I’m sure he’s not exactly spewing.

Next.

Jack might not be spewing cos of the cash involved but you’ve had to up your offer to scare off the Dees and it’s still an unnecessary nervous wait. But it’s 100% a red flag for other managers when choosing a club. Marty Pask (Ellis manager) has publicly said it makes him wary of the Blues, if he’s the manager of target you’ve burnt a bridge you didn’t need to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah not jealous. No skin in the game re Weitering either.

Just saying that if you swapped Rance with say, Jake Carlisle, then Carlisle would be racking up the accolades and awards while Rance is cracking the shits and forearming prone players in the back of the head.

Andrews, Rampe, Davis, Talia, Jonas, Frawley and Hooker all better 1 v 1 than Rance.

Howe, Sicily, Hurley, McGovern and Carlisle all as good (if not better) at playing the loose CHB/3rd man role.

It's not an insult to Rance. It's a massive credit to Richmond that their system works the way it does. Rance plays his role to a T but it's not because he is some uber elite defender like Matty Scarlett. He's closer to Tom Harley/Nick Maxwell/Chris Newman in the role he plays. Stick any half decent player in that spot for that team and they would grab an AA nomination.
Then why was he considered the best defender in the league in a crap year for us like 2016? He was AA in 2014 right through 2018 for a reason. Our system and defence was a shamble in 2016 and was not really a standout in the league in 2014 and 2015. Yet, he got his AA accolade in all of those years.

In fact, Rance’s one-on-one defending was exactly what made him break out as a defender. He used to nullify Buddy in his prime one on one, something that was very difficult for defenders to do. Grimes has followed in his footsteps and has become a fantastic defender one on one now.

Jack might not be spewing cos of the cash involved but you’ve had to up your offer to scare off the Dees and it’s still an unnecessary nervous wait. But it’s 100% a red flag for other managers when choosing a club. Marty Pask (Ellis manager) has publicly said it makes him wary of the Blues, if he’s the manager of target you’ve burnt a bridge you didn’t need to.
If SOS is a red flag then what the hell would Dodoro be considered!?

Agree it is an unnecessary wait. Would’ve like to see the deal get done at the trade table but they asked for far too much.

Depends who you’d like to believe. Apparently a deal with Ellis was agreed in principle and then when Coniglio fell through he put his hand out for more $$.

If you read what Pask said after we cooled on Ellis, it makes no sense at all.
He said that we had agreed to terms but later mentions no specific amount or term had been agreed to or words to that effect...
Pask has done his reputation more harm than Carlton has.
At the end of the day, Ellis has ended up getting far more than he is worth, we are glad he didn’t come, most Tigers supporters are happy to see him go and Suns are happy to get him. Pask made a fool of himself with his comments.

View attachment 768751

Did you even read my post? Rance playing as a zone defender and coming in late to spoil an unmarked opponent counts as 1 on 1 contest. Those situations aren’t exactly the same as standing under a high ball 1 on 1 in a battle of strength.

Rance is the best defender in the comp because of his ability to anchor the zone and read the play. Not his on 1v1 ability against gorilla key forwards imo

I don't think the Suns asked for too much. I do think they rate him a lot higher than the Blues do.
The proposed trade of Martin and pick 15 for pick 9 was perfectly reasonable IMO, especially for a player you’ve pursued and offered big money for and committed to get to your club, just get the deal done unless the other team is being unreasonable, which the suns weren’t.
Bad reputation to get

Remove this Banner Ad

Back