Roast Stevic and co - all anti-Swans conspiracies within

Remove this Banner Ad

the umpires have been putrid on a continual basis this year

I know its sooky to blame umpires, but we won this week, but geez every time we get stevic we get reamed up the rear big time.

Yesterday in the second quarter mills took a mark and not paid and even dunstall said it was a mark, then heeney had his shot taken off him. Geelong seemed to get 5-6 frees in a row until they finally scored, so instead of us building a lead it turned the momentum and made it a close game.

Watched other games this week, the umpiring is just non stop and over the top league wide at the moment.

Last night the crows game was painful, richmond collingwood being ruined now]

End rant, delete and call me a sook but i think we are getting a raw deal too often and its s**t everywere generally.

Also just wanted to say stevic is a cheating campaigner

The umpiring has been poor for about 4-5 years - not just to us but overall. The annoying part is the AFL is all for it. They always talk about dictating how the game is played which shows what their intention is. The AFL use the umpiring department to bend the game into what they deem as attractive. As a result umpires are making decisions based off of what they feel is attractive for the game, not always what is the right call.

It also has to be noted, umpiring AFL is extremely hard as is. Most of it are judgement calls, nothing very clear cut

The umpiring has been poor for about 4-5 years - not just to us but overall. The annoying part is the AFL is all for it. They always talk about dictating how the game is played which shows what their intention is. The AFL use the umpiring department to bend the game into what they deem as attractive. As a result umpires are making decisions based off of what they feel is attractive for the game, not always what is the right call.

It also has to be noted, umpiring AFL is extremely hard as is. Most of it are judgement calls, nothing very clear cut

Have they made it too hard to officiate by complicating the rules or not leaving interpretations anymore?

Theres no feel for the individual game anymore imo

Have they made it too hard to officiate by complicating the rules or not leaving interpretations anymore?

Theres no feel for the individual game anymore imo
Too complicated enough IMO. They keep attempting to correct issues that never exist ( such as the change in ruck rules). Then they change interruptions of the same rules without actually changing anything (deliberate out of bounds) which shows how much grey area our game has

Holding the ball shits me.

You’re better off dropping the ball cold than attempting a hand pass and not making contact. Both are incorrect disposal but they get interpreted differently, which they shouldn’t.

Then there is prior opportunity, some players seem to get an age to dispose of the ball.

I also personally believe some of the incidental contact frees such as brushing the shoulder as high, unless it affects the players ability to contest (or is dangerous), could be changed via interpretation. Those kind of soft frees really kill me lol. But that’s another thing altogether.

Amazingly the fans on every other board on bigfooty also think the umpires are biased against them.

Perhaps everyone focuses more on the decisions that don't go their way, and tend to overlook the ones that do?

I'm 100% happy to agree that the umpires make mistakes and the standard could be better, but the idea that umpires are given an agenda by the AFL and told to disadvantage certain teams is tin-foil stuff.

Amazingly the fans on every other board on bigfooty also think the umpires are biased against them.

Perhaps everyone focuses more on the decisions that don't go their way, and tend to overlook the ones that do?

Forget me being a sook over stevic then

The umpiring standards seemed to have dropped

What do you think of the idea of having 3 umpires in a team and called be called team 1 and so on .
Possibly then they will get more consistant in the rules.
As they will talk between themselves and maybe start to be on the same page .
In yesterdays game almost as if changed umps for the final quarter .

I actually think the umpiring hasn't been too bad this year overall. Holding the ball is always hard to adjudicate because 'prior opportunity' is often subjective, and umpires seem to have a more liberal definition of a handball, as they seem to want to encourage players to get rid of the ball quickly. But from what I've seen so far this year they've at least been umpiring more or less the same way for everyone, with no teams appearing to be consistently favoured. We'd have to check the research room for detailed stats though.

If you consider the level of whinging to be correlated with the standard of umpiring, there haven't been as many #freekickbulldogs and #freekickhawthorn memes this year I've noticed.

It does get frustrating for both sides when they pay frees in the first three quarters and put the whistle away in the last (we benefited from it in Round 1 but it cost us the following week against Port). I don't think there is an actual umpiring conspiracy, as there is no evidence to suggest that is the case, but I do think they are afraid of making the wrong calls when the game is on the line, since they are under so much scrutiny these days from the media, the fans and the Scott brothers. :p It's a tough job!

And for all the angst about Stevic, we've won our last 2 games with him umpiring. So maybe we're adapting better to the interpretations, as the frees we do concede haven't been costing us games.

I'm 100% happy to agree that the umpires make mistakes and the standard could be better, but the idea that umpires are given an agenda by the AFL and told to disadvantage certain teams is tin-foil stuff.
As a man of stats how do you explain Stevics bias in the two games he's umpired us this year? Yesterday till the 3rd he gave 15 of 22 against the swans and various no calls. How about Jeffrey in the 16 gf, Pannell dogs vs crows. Any cats supporter complaining about the umpiring yesterday is delusional. Not saying there is an agenda but there is a definite bias against teams by some umpires and no one in the media or the afl system will talk about it. Yeh, a hard game to umpire, but they should be held to account when it's so obvious that it's not always a two street. Some will say it's subconscious bias, some will say it's human error but to ignore it is plan stupid.

Last edited:
I like the idea of umps ump'ing in teams. Would certainly help with consistency of interpretation.

Stevic, like McLaren once did, has an umpiring view at odds with the way our mob plays. The result is lop sided decisions. I believe the Club should privately seek an explanation from the Umps about Stevic's umpiring viewpoint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see detailed stats on the performance of each umpire.At the moment they are unaccountable.

What peeves me most about umpiring is:

Interpretations that change from week to week and even during a game.

Not paying marks that should be paid and ignoring interference thereby discouraging high marking contests.

Giving technical frees that have no impact on the fairness of the game (eg Hanners protected area free that resulted in a goal) instead of reining in all the holding the man off the ball infringements (Buddy) or paying a push in the back for hands slightly touching the back and not paying frees for gigantic body shoves in the back that don't involve hands.

Overall, it appears to me that the umpires themselves are stats minded and where there is an imbalance in the frees at 3/4 time you can bet there will be an evening up in the last.

Of course the poor and inconsistent adjudication of over the shoulder and holding the ball or man frustrates everyone.

I think there needs to be a review of the rules based on its basic objectives which make it such a great game:

Reward the player going for the ball by punishing unfair holding etc.
Protection of players from injury.
Real ruck contests
High marking.
High scoring.
Minimal intervention unless in conflict with the above.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Just noting here as well, I hate that players and coaches can't complain about the umpiring without facing a fine. I understand why the AFL had introduced that rule but all it means is they are unaccountable for their actions and it hasn't stemmed the tide of fans complaining about umpires at all

Just noting here as well, I hate that players and coaches can't complain about the umpiring without facing a fine. I understand why the AFL had introduced that rule but all it means is they are unaccountable for their actions and it hasn't stemmed the tide of fans complaining about umpires at all
Unaccountable lol. They’re subject to a huge amount of investigation internal to the department.

Unaccountable lol. They’re subject to a huge amount of investigation internal to the department.
Are they? What is considered harsh and unfair criticism to one is a light tap to another. We know the umpiring department comes out and says they review the decisions and talk about it but doesn't mean they're made accountable

Without focusing on the Swans and what they didn't pay for us if I were a cats fan I would have a few complaints about non calls during the game. And calls that could have had an effect on the momentum we had going.

What I think is difficult is for them to stay composed when the crowd lifts and the momentum swings, their human nature gets them involved or at least stimulated towards that almost tangible build up or heat. Sometimes the Swans fans at home games don't seem to impact the way they do in AFL heartland states. It's the same at a Suns home game or Lions match up here. There is barely enough home town support to have any major impact.

As far as the OP though it is tough to justify when individual umpires seem to pay a lot against us 15 of 22 is a concern that certainly fuels the feeling of them specifically being against the Swans. Perhaps that is more about their own ego as a group and the individual being the alpha ump on the day.

Potentially controversial, but maybe ‘prior opportunity’ has got to go. Either you dispose of it properly when tackled, or it’s a free kick (incorrect disposal or holding the ball).

Is the club doing anything about it?
Surely we could put someone in charge of - asking for clarification - on a weekly basis.

No team should have a consistently good (or bad) run with the umps. AFL frees are too subjective.

Stevic can only cheat.

He always has a tendency in the middle quarters to over officiate games. Literally every time. He's always letting the last quarter go, and the first for the most part, but always, ALWAYS, ******* up in the middle quarters.

He's shown time and time again he's bloody inconsistent in big matches and hates the big moments. It's as though he doesn't have the confidence, or thick enough skin, or the mental fortitude to make those calls.

When the s**t really starts turtling hes hiding on the field.

Ever since Hawthorn invited him to spend some time with the club during the off season, his decision making has been pretty poor. For some reason always seems to be harsher on some teams than others, to the point that there's clear bias.

There were rumours at one point that he was a Swans supporter, which would make sense if he's over compensating for his ego. I've been there, you make a s**t call you even it up with a gray one, or you apologise to the captain/coach after the match.

This guy just makes a run of bad calls, some clearly guessing at. Occasionally positionally suspect, he needs work and he shouldn't be umpiring big games. Scott Jefferies level.

the umpires have been putrid on a continual basis this year

I know its sooky to blame umpires, but we won this week, but geez every time we get stevic we get reamed up the rear big time.

Yesterday in the second quarter mills took a mark and not paid and even dunstall said it was a mark, then heeney had his shot taken off him. Geelong seemed to get 5-6 frees in a row until they finally scored, so instead of us building a lead it turned the momentum and made it a close game.

Watched other games this week, the umpiring is just non stop and over the top league wide at the moment.

Last night the crows game was painful, richmond collingwood being ruined now]

End rant, delete and call me a sook but i think we are getting a raw deal too often and its s**t everywere generally.

Also just wanted to say stevic is a cheating campaigner

Nah!
Longmire can't coach & isn't using Stevic correctly.
Once we move Longmire on, Stevic will be utilised as the potential star he could be for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back