Stevie J bump on Josh Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't high. The AFL just stitched up SJ ....again. They showed incomplete vids, and worst look stills. But check this. Johnson is looking straight at the ball, going for it:

1ai1e9.jpg

The video I got this from clearly shows Johnson following the ball and actually trying to change course to get to it and Kennedy was just in the way. And that is about as high as Johnson's forearm gets on Kennedy. Kennedy got hurt hitting the ground.
Looking straight at the ball? His eyes must be located inside his ears, he is looking directly at Kennedy, he was looking at Kennedy all along and took him out, the ball never entered his mind nor his line of vision. Unless he can rotate his head like Linda Blair he ain't seeing no football! The only thing Stevie J was interested in was nailing Kennedy!

I am all for some leniency from the MRP but can't help but think I'm missing something with this one. To me he runs at Kennedy, who does not have the ball, and cracks him on the jaw with an elbow, decking him and giving him the staggers. JK then is off the ground crook for a while.

Have I overlooked anything? At the time I couldn't believe he would be such a dumb campaigner.
No, that's what i saw and i love Stevie J. IMO he has sacrificed himself by taking out the Swans best player and believing he would be rubbed out for it. He is dead set lucky he will be available for the GF.

Looking straight at the ball? His eyes must be located inside his ears, he is looking directly at Kennedy, he was looking at Kennedy all along and took him out, the ball never entered his mind nor his line of vision. Unless he can rotate his head like Linda Blair he ain't seeing no football! The only thing Stevie J was interested in was nailing Kennedy!
At the ball up he was looking straight at the ball and running to the contest, not Kennedy. As soon as the ball got hit out he changed direction and was in the line of Kennedy who also took a step to the contest. He pushed Kennedy off with a forearm to the chest. To the chest. Kennedy hit his head on the ground. This is just fact. Once you take out all the worst case pics etc that the media and the AFL have been putting out.

Huh? The footage on the AFL site (which is different to that which was up over the weekend) absolutely shows the high contact. It was with the arm rather than flush with the elbow (for which both Johnson and Kennedy are probably pretty fortunate) but it is undoubtedly high and was of sufficient impact to have Kennedy wobbly on his feet for a couple of minutes (and off for 20 minutes getting checked out).

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-09-12/how-the-mrp-saw-stevie-js-kennedy-hit
Nope the video clearly shows they wer both going for the ball, it then went over Kennedy's head and he reached up for it while SJ changed direction towards it but ran into Kenedy, and just fended him off with forearm and then hands as he was going down. It's such bs and what is wrong with people that they can't se what is right in front of them and can't alow for slo-mo which doesn't show how little time players have to react in situations like this?
Quite disturbing because it shows how easily controlled people are and why they are so easily lead to support really sick things like mass-murdering "war on terror".

At the ball up he was looking straight at the ball and running to the contest, not Kennedy. As soon as the ball got hit out he changed direction and was in the line of Kennedy who also took a step to the contest. He pushed Kennedy off with a forearm to the chest. To the chest. Kennedy hit his head on the ground. This is just fact. Once you take out all the worst case pics etc that the media and the AFL have been putting out.

Johnson did the right thing blocking Kennedy out of the contest and I'm certain he intended to make contact to block him. I just doubt the forearm was intended for his head rather than chest though. It wasn't really a run through him and bump either, he just wanted to stop his momentum. That's why I think the media scrutiny and the ruling is a bit over the top.

I've seen far worse high fend offs this year that haven't resulted in a suspension. I don't see why a forearm to the chest to shepherd that accidentally goes high on a crouching player is a suspension while an intentional elbow to the face as a fend off isn't.

The incident was so blah that if it wasn't Stevie J and Kennedy got straight up, no one would have even thought of replaying it.

It wasn't high. The AFL just stitched up SJ ....again. They showed incomplete vids, and worst look stills. But check this. Johnson is looking straight at the ball, going for it:

1ai1e9.jpg

The video I got this from clearly shows Johnson following the ball and actually trying to change course to get to it and Kennedy was just in the way. And that is about as high as Johnson's forearm gets on Kennedy. Kennedy got hurt hitting the ground.

You paused the video about half a second too late after the contact had been made...

High contact, not looking at the ball

upload_2016-9-13_22-4-52.png

I reckon 2 down to 1 is about right.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-09-12/how-the-mrp-saw-stevie-js-kennedy-hit has the best footage of it. Just a pain you have to watch an advert first.

Angle one highlights the intent to bump (once he realises he can't get the ball, he focuses on Kennedy)

Angle two shows the high contact.

Watched it and I'm still lost as to why this is reportable.

By the way, you get concussed normally from your head getting a sudden jolt. Can be caused as easily from whiplash in an unexpected collision as from a direct hit to the head.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took out a player high and late that caused that player to miss 30 minutes of the game. He's lucky he's only getting a week, it was a cheap shot.

How was it late? Kennedy was the closest player with a Giants guy bursting away from the contest toward the ball. Johnson had to try to block him. It would be most players' instinct. They definitely weren't out of the play.

How was it late? Kennedy was the closest player with a Giants guy bursting away from the contest toward the ball. Johnson had to try to block him. It would be most players' instinct. They definitely weren't out of the play.

You don't 'block' taking a bloke's head off! You have a duty of care to not knock a bloke out! It was high, the ball was past him, and he had other options. He didn't have to snipe and take Kennedy out.

You don't 'block' taking a bloke's head off! You have a duty of care to not knock a bloke out! It was high, the ball was past him, and he had other options. He didn't have to snipe and take Kennedy out.

The ball went straight past them a split second before. I'm not sure if you are looking at the actual video or the result...

The ball went straight past them a split second before. I'm not sure if you are looking at the actual video or the result...

Duty of care. As a player you have a duty to not take players out and have them sit down for a good quarter. Consequences are always taken into account when charging players. Johnson is fortunate he didn't break Kennedy's jaw..that isn't what I call playing the game tough. That is sniping.

Duty of care. As a player you have a duty to not take players out and have them sit down for a good quarter. Consequences are always taken into account when charging players. Johnson is fortunate he didn't break Kennedy's jaw..that isn't what I call playing the game tough. That is sniping.

I doubt he was being tough. He was just blocking a player with his forearm who ended up being in an awkward position relative to him. He didn't line up or charge a player with a huge bump.

I'm just surprised that a player can get rubbed out for a Prelim for that by watching a tonne of inconclusive videos in slow mo, whereas in the Geelong game multiple players punched other players in the head and weren't cited.

As much as I think the decision is BS, Giants will be a stronger team without him anyway, so the MRP probably did them a favour.

I'm not worried about where his forearm is, as he doesn't get him with his forearm.

My pic shows SJ's upper arm/shoulder in contact with the side of JPK's head...

The video on the AFL website I quoted earlier shows much clearer footage then the broadcast footage.

Watched it and I'm still lost as to why this is reportable.

By the way, you get concussed normally from your head getting a sudden jolt. Can be caused as easily from whiplash in an unexpected collision as from a direct hit to the head.
Well aware that you can get concussion from whiplash.

Video shows contact to side of JPKs jaw/face, I'm comfortable concluding that this is where the concussion has come from

I'm not worried about where his forearm is, as he doesn't get him with his forearm.

My pic shows SJ's upper arm/shoulder in contact with the side of JPK's head...

The video on the AFL website I quoted earlier shows much clearer footage then the broadcast footage.

Johnson didn't make contact with his forearm? SJ truly is a magician.

Your pic suggests thats what happened. But other pics, and the vid, show what really happened: that he bowled Kennedy over with a forearm to the chest.
The vid I posted shows clearly there was no head high contact.

But I get that the media has pushed only certain angles like the one you posted, to the point where one video showed what looked like SJ lining him up from the start. They edited out the moment before where you can clearly see Johnson had eyes for the ball and he is only turning toward the moving ball and bumping Kennedy out of the way.

BTW, for the other thread, but Mummy definitely holds back Tippett's right arm as he crashes to the ground leaving him unable to protect himself. No pics or slow mo on that. The AFL and the media really have it co-ordinated. They pick and choose

You're as clueless as they come.

Johnson didn't make contact with his forearm? SJ truly is a magician.

Your pic suggests thats what happened. But other pics, and the vid, show what really happened: that he bowled Kennedy over with a forearm to the chest.
The vid I posted shows clearly there was no head high contact.

But I get that the media has pushed only certain angles like the one you posted, to the point where one video showed what looked like SJ lining him up from the start. They edited out the moment before where you can clearly see Johnson had eyes for the ball and he is only turning toward the moving ball and bumping Kennedy out of the way.

BTW, for the other thread, but Mummy definitely holds back Tippett's right arm as he crashes to the ground leaving him unable to protect himself. No pics or slow mo on that. The AFL and the media really have it co-ordinated. They pick and choose

Didn't make contact *to the head* with his forearm.

Media/AFL editing out footage? Have you looked at this one (http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-09-12/how-the-mrp-saw-stevie-js-kennedy-hit). Just the footage rolling from 2 different angles. No editing there...

Also, what reason would the AFL have for rubbing Johnson out but saving Mumford?

Might need to take the tin foil hat off mate.

Didn't make contact *to the head* with his forearm.

Media/AFL editing out footage? Have you looked at this one (http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-09-12/how-the-mrp-saw-stevie-js-kennedy-hit). Just the footage rolling from 2 different angles. No editing there...

Also, what reason would the AFL have for rubbing Johnson out but saving Mumford?

Might need to take the tin foil hat off mate.
too grainy that vid.

but ok, still looks like he pushed Kennedy off with a forearm to the chest. There is no side on pic showing shoulder to the head, and there is a pic showing SJ had his forearm out before contact.

1akhwm.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back