Autopsy Stevie J Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Tarnished a great career by going to GWS.

Just curious as to why you would say this. Did Mitchell tarnish his career by going to West Coast, or Chapman or Kelly going to Essendon, or Doug Hawkins for going to Fitzroy?

Or is it just that it's GWS?

Plenty of players who are greats for their club finish with a year or two at another. Do they all tarnish their careers with the move?

Stevie J is a Geelong great who will be remembered for his great career at Geelong - and that he helped a young team develop at the Giants at the end of his career. Hardly a "tarnish"

Just curious as to why you would say this. Did Mitchell tarnish his career by going to West Coast, or Chapman or Kelly going to Essendon, or Doug Hawkins for going to Fitzroy?

Or is it just that it's GWS?

Plenty of players who are greats for their club finish with a year or two at another. Do they all tarnish their careers with the move?

Stevie J is a Geelong great who will be remembered for his great career at Geelong - and that he helped a young team develop at the Giants at the end of his career. Hardly a "tarnish"

All of them are tarnished except for maybe Pops Kelly. Not sure why I feel Kelly is different.

Hawkins to Fitzroy was a travesty.

All of them are tarnished except for maybe Pops Kelly. Not sure why I feel Kelly is different.

Hawkins to Fitzroy was a travesty.
Fair enough.

Respectfully disagree, given what he has done for our group.

Maybe Kelly is different because he actually retired with no intention of playing on, but was coaxed out of it to help a club in crisis.

Fair enough.

Respectfully disagree, given what he has done for our group.

Maybe Kelly is different because he actually retired with no intention of playing on, but was coaxed out of it to help a club in crisis.

Spot on with Kelly there.

In truth I am just old and still value being a one club player. Obsolete outlook I know....

He really isn't a character either... man people will call anyone interesting these days...

Because he got suspended for dumb things he had character apparently.

Smart footy brain but not very smart in general
People seemed to laugh at his press conferences but I found them pretty average. Honestly with unfunny memes like Jayden Hunt being considered as rebellious as Doc Wheildon, or Patrick Dangerfield as funny, people will eat anything up so long as they don't speak in cliches. Such a warped world.

Loved the way SJ played his footy, was surprised when he was moved on by Geelong as IMO as he still had plenty of footy to give.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should've retired two seasons ago, or at least at the end of last season. I think he could be a good assistant coach though. (He has a brilliant football brain) I agree with Grant Thomas, you need man management to be a successful coach, you can't rely on footy strategy and footy brains only. Stevie j is a different "species" and definitely looks outside the box, the rules change weekly in this game and Stevie J might be the sort of bloke who adapts best? I hope he returns to Geelong in a role. We need all the help we can get.

You've said he's tarnished his career by playing on at GWS. I've refuted it by showing his numbers since going - to put it into perspective, he averaged 1.9 more touches at Geelong and 0.2 goals extra.
So I'm curious as to how you think he's tarnished his legacy when even in a side where is less of a focal point, he's kept up more or less with his previous output.

You've said he's tarnished his career by playing on at GWS. I've refuted it by showing his numbers since going - to put it into perspective, he averaged 1.9 more touches at Geelong and 0.2 goals extra.
So I'm curious as to how you think he's tarnished his legacy when even in a side where is less of a focal point, he's kept up more or less with his previous output.

It's not about stats for me. It's the romance of it. No big deal.

Exactly what are the people saying 'he wasn't a character' looking for?

I think the single funniest thing I've seen on a footy field in recent years is this: I don't care that the whole idea of the segment was a bit of a wank by the end. This still makes me laugh.

remember his cash or credit comment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back