Steyn cricinfo analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
following on from a conversation in the Sa -SL thread the other day as to where Steyn and other fans bowlers rank, this article popped up on cricinfo tonight:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story?id=24128428&dale-steyn-greatest-fast-bowler-century

Really strong and deep analysis of his numbers, on their own, relative to others, and across conditions.
We will not realise what we’ve had until it’s retired unfortunately

He's everything you want in a Fast Bowler - fast, controlled, enduring (other than the last couple of years), swings it both ways traditionally and reverse. There's probably only been two or three fast bowlers in history that you can say the same thing about.

If he'd maintained fitness he'd probably be challenging Anderson as the bowler to catch McGrath's record.

western royboy - be interested to get your take on the comparison with Marshall. I never saw Marshall, but they seem like pretty similar bowlers.

Green SA wickets makes his average look flattering! Bowling to mostly subcontinent sides in SA helps as well.

You obviously didn’t read the article.

It’s precisely the fact that his record IN ASIA is so good that makes his record stick out like dogs balls against those of other fast bowlers.

2 tests in Pakistan - takes a 5-fer and averages 15

2 tests in UAE - 14 wickets at 32.

5 matches in Sri Lanka - 23 wickets at 26, two five-fers

6 matches in India - 26 wickets at 21. 7/50 at Nagpur, another 5-for as well.

4 matches in Bangladesh - 20 wickets at 14, 0 five-fers.

He averages a 5 wicket haul BETTER than once every four tests he plays in Asia, and he’s done it without taking any against Bangladesh. And he’s taken two four-fers in the same game against Pakistan. 101 wickets in 19 tests. For a fast bowler. From South Africa. In Asia.

In fact if you want to read right into it, the two places he’s fared the worst (and it’s like saying a batsman ‘struggled’ in a certain country because he ‘only’ averaged 42 there) are Australia and England, which traditionally help a bowler like him. He’s averaged 28 in Australia and 31 in England.

You obviously didn’t read the article.

It’s precisely the fact that his record IN ASIA is so good that makes his record stick out like dogs balls against those of other fast bowlers.
McGrath has an economy rate of 2.49. Marshall’s ER was 2.68. Steyn’s is 3.23. Steyn’s bowling at times obviously goes for a lot of stick which can result in a better strike rate. Hence his ODI record and why SA haven’t won a World Cup.

McGrath has an economy rate of 2.49. Marshall’s ER was 2.68. Steyn’s is 3.23. Steyn’s bowling at times obviously goes for a lot of stick which can result in a better strike rate. Hence his ODI record and why SA haven’t won a World Cup.

What?
He averages 26 and goes at less than 5 an over in the highest scoring era in the history of the game.
Likewise his test economy rate has occurred in the period of the flattest wickets, smallest boundaries and biggest bats in the game's history.

Anyone who has watched him extensively knows that he goes for a few runs because he attacks. mcgrath choked batsmen but as Lara always said, if you were prepared to play the game you could sit him out. Wasim Akram, the bowler who stylistically matched Steyn more than just about anyone (left handedness aside) was the one Lara said you couldn't sit on because he would get you sooner or later.

He's everything you want in a Fast Bowler - fast, controlled, enduring (other than the last couple of years), swings it both ways traditionally and reverse. There's probably only been two or three fast bowlers in history that you can say the same thing about.

If he'd maintained fitness he'd probably be challenging Anderson as the bowler to catch McGrath's record.

western royboy - be interested to get your take on the comparison with Marshall. I never saw Marshall, but they seem like pretty similar bowlers.
Great Bowler - all time great no doubt - I’d place him below Marshall - Marshall excelled on all types of decks and probably had a few more gears from what I’ve seen. Steyn was definitely nasty and let batsmen know it was game on - Marshall kept you guessing and did it with a bit more guile and was terrifying to face because you knew if he wanted to hit you - he could do it whenever he wanted - his knowledge of fast bowling was amazing - all handed down from Andy Roberts & co.

A privilege to have faced him in a game - and the hour so in the bar afterwards was money cant buy stuff

Great Bowler - all time great no doubt - I’d place him below Marshall - Marshall excelled on all types of decks and probably had a few more gears from what I’ve seen. Steyn was definitely nasty and let batsmen know it was game on - Marshall kept you guessing and did it with a bit more guile and was terrifying to face because you knew if he wanted to hit you - he could do it whenever he wanted - his knowledge of fast bowling was amazing - all handed down from Andy Roberts & co.

A privilege to have faced him in a game - and the hour so in the bar afterwards was money cant buy stuff

You FACED him?!?

Holy s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGrath bowled on as many flat wickets as Steyn.

Steyn and Mcgrath's Asian records are close in some respects, but the only area that McGrath has the advantage is in economy rate. Steyn took a wicket two overs quicker on average than McGrath did. McGrath was undoubtedly a very good bowler in Asian conditions, but Steyn was a matchwinner.

Glenn McGrath http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...orderby=default;template=results;type=bowling
Dale Steyn http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...orderby=default;template=results;type=bowling

Steyn was an absolute superstar. He and McGrath are the clear two best quick bowlers of this century for mine.

But when it comes to "best to watch" he is a clear standout for mine and been easily my favourite to watch over the last 25 to 30 years.

Brilliant mechanics and his aggressive approach meant there was always action happening when he had the ball in hand. For an all time elite bowler he's relatively expensive (3.23 runs an over, where as most of the all time greats hover around the 2.6 region) but that's totally offset by his amazing strike which is only bettered by pre-WWI bowlers George Lohmann, Sidney Barnes and Kagiso Rabada (who's only taken 150 wickets in his young career).

From a neutral perspective that's great because you know it's going to be a lively affair when the captain brings him on for a spell.

From an opposition perspective he also gave you a bit of a chance (very occasionally it must be said and the far more likely scenario was he ran through your batting line-up). 7 times he took 0 or 1 for 100+ which is - relative - to other legendary bowlers quite high, but once again this is offset by the fact he is 9th for 5 wicket hauls (4th amongst quick bowlers).

The game was rarely played in slow motion with Steyn bowling.

Only 9 players have a sub-23 average whilst taking 300 test wickets and he is one of them. And done in the best ever era for batting. When you talk about elite bowlers in test cricket history he is at the very very pointy end of that list.

McGrath bowled on as many flat wickets as Steyn. Mural was a chucker!

You really think Australian wickets during mcgrath's career, BEFORE they used drop in decks at half the grounds, and before even India were able to come over here and rack up huge scores, were flat? Come on mate, you don't have to have an opinion that matches everyone else's but you should at least try and accept fact.

You FACED him?!?

Holy s**t.
I’ve written about it on here before - he was guesting in the Subbies many years ago, it was my 2nd or 3rd game in the 1sts, week 1 I was listed to go in at 9, as the wicket fell our No.10 (West Indian Off Spinner) thought * this and headed out the gate ahead of me, he returned quickly, batting at 10 I got a pretty handy 49 putting on 100 for the last wicket. Next week we’re playing Maco and another collapse ensues this time I’m listed at 8 but as no.6 heads out there’s no one racing me to get the pads on. The great Jeff Moss follows me in to give me a few tips and starts off with “whatever you do - don’t try to hook or pull him!” I thanked him for his advice but suggested it was the last thing I was going to be doing, he said “good because he’s got two bouncers and the second one will take your head off!”
The wicket falls and I’m in - nervously scratching around, Maco is smiling and winking at me - I’m shitting myself. First ball I see well but it darts back at me and smashes into bat and pad and squirts away in front of square. Next ball same delivery but turns sideways and leaves we with nothing - he’s just smiling and winking at me. Eventually I squirt one away and get down the other end. A few overs later he gives me the half rat power bouncer and as advised I take evasive action. He nods and winks to let me know all is ok. I was batting with our overseas Pom who didn’t lack confidence. He played a bit of county cricket was about 21 and though he was the business. He got the half rat power short ball and smashed it one bounce forward of square for 4 and arrogantly strutted down the pitch. I met him and said “get ready” he said he’d be fine. He wasn’t. The ball smashed into the side of his lid before he’d moved. As I ran down the pitch to assist my fallen comrade, Maco turned on his heel and said “Too Late” Later in the Bar he showed me how he swung the ball by rotating the seam off his thumb - he was a freak!

I’ve written about it on here before - he was guesting in the Subbies many years ago, it was my 2nd or 3rd game in the 1sts, week 1 I was listed to go in at 9, as the wicket fell our No.10 (West Indian Off Spinner) thought **** this and headed out the gate ahead of me, he returned quickly, batting at 10 I got a pretty handy 49 putting on 100 for the last wicket. Next week we’re playing Maco and another collapse ensues this time I’m listed at 8 but as no.6 heads out there’s no one racing me to get the pads on. The great Jeff Moss follows me in to give me a few tips and starts off with “whatever you do - don’t try to hook or pull him!” I thanked him for his advice but suggested it was the last thing I was going to be doing, he said “good because he’s got two bouncers and the second one will take your head off!”
The wicket falls and I’m in - nervously scratching around, Maco is smiling and winking at me - I’m shitting myself. First ball I see well but it darts back at me and smashes into bat and pad and squirts away in front of square. Next ball same delivery but turns sideways and leaves we with nothing - he’s just smiling and winking at me. Eventually I squirt one away and get down the other end. A few overs later he gives me the half rat power bouncer and as advised I take evasive action. He nods and winks to let me know all is ok. I was batting with our overseas Pom who didn’t lack confidence. He played a bit of county cricket was about 21 and though he was the business. He got the half rat power short ball and smashed it one bounce forward of square for 4 and arrogantly strutted down the pitch. I met him and said “get ready” he said he’d be fine. He wasn’t. The ball smashed into the side of his lid before he’d moved. As I ran down the pitch to assist my fallen comrade, Maco turned on his heel and said “Too Late” Later in the Bar he showed me how he swung the ball by rotating the seam off his thumb - he was a freak!

Mate that is absolutely ripping!

I’ve written about it on here before - he was guesting in the Subbies many years ago, it was my 2nd or 3rd game in the 1sts, week 1 I was listed to go in at 9, as the wicket fell our No.10 (West Indian Off Spinner) thought **** this and headed out the gate ahead of me, he returned quickly, batting at 10 I got a pretty handy 49 putting on 100 for the last wicket. Next week we’re playing Maco and another collapse ensues this time I’m listed at 8 but as no.6 heads out there’s no one racing me to get the pads on. The great Jeff Moss follows me in to give me a few tips and starts off with “whatever you do - don’t try to hook or pull him!” I thanked him for his advice but suggested it was the last thing I was going to be doing, he said “good because he’s got two bouncers and the second one will take your head off!”
Great read

I think the famous Mike Gatting photo where he looks like a panda , big swollen nose and bruised eyes was courtesy of the ‘2nd bounced’

He is the best fast bowler I’ve seen , Steyn in the next bunch behind him . Top class though .

Great read

I think the famous Mike Gatting photo where he looks like a panda , big swollen nose and bruised eyes was courtesy of the ‘2nd bounced’

He is the best fast bowler I’ve seen , Steyn in the next bunch behind him . Top class though .
There was an article in Wisden or The Cricketer a while back about the year he dominated the County Championship - think it was called “When Maco ruled The Shire” I’m glad I read it post playing against him - he passed away way to soon, he was a very kind man off the pitch and had a tremendous knowledge of bowling

Steyn and Mcgrath's Asian records are close in some respects, but the only area that McGrath has the advantage is in economy rate. Steyn took a wicket two overs quicker on average than McGrath did. McGrath was undoubtedly a very good bowler in Asian conditions, but Steyn was a matchwinner.

Glenn McGrath http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...orderby=default;template=results;type=bowling
Dale Steyn http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...orderby=default;template=results;type=bowling

McGrath is a match winner to me as well.

I could never warm up to Steyn (I blame him being in an Adam Sandler movie) but god damn the guy can destroy teams and produce a match winning spell out of nowhere. Too bad injuries cut parts of his career.

McGrath is a match winner to me as well.

I could never warm up to Steyn (I blame him being in an Adam Sandler movie) but god damn the guy can destroy teams and produce a match winning spell out of nowhere. Too bad injuries cut parts of his career.

That performance is so cringeworthy. Yet still better than half the regular actors in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back