Media StFly steps aside from Gumbies leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 22, 2004
Safety Bay WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Brentford FC, Geelong Gumbies,
There have been rumours circulating around the SFA the past few days that Geelong Gumbies veteran had stepped down from his co-captaincy position at the club.

Geelong Gumbies management today confirmed that these rumours were indeed true and explained @StFly's reasoning.

"The rumours the SFA community have been hearing are true. StFly has stepped aside from his co-captaincy position and as a result A Bit High has been promoted from vice captain up to Co-captain alongside club stalwart peterss."

"Streets was a fantastic captain of this side when he was in the role and will continue to be a leader even thougg he has decided to no longer be in the leadership group. Unfortunately for Streets he hasnt been around as much as he would have liked due to having a very ill mother at present so his priorities lay with looking after her and making sure she is ok and that is completely understandeable"

"We are fully supportive of Streets and will be providing him and hia family with any support they need during this difficult and challenging times" "He is a quality player on and off the field and family always comes first over football especially in this situation"

"A Bit High has been promoted from vice captain to co-captain to work alongside club legend peterss to build on last years premiership and to continue to make this club stronger"

"He has been sensational since joining us and his efforts on and off the field and his commitment to this club and sexind to none and he has certainly earned the promotion to co-captain"

As a result of A Bit High's promotion it means there is a vacant vice captain position and the club has confirmed that veteran Bucketss has moved into the role.

"Bucketss will be taking over as vice captain, he is a much loved figure around the club and the way he sticks around after training to do some extra skill sessions is a credit to him. Hes held the role temporarily for the back end of last season but he now certainly deserves the role on a full time basis"

peterss, StFly, A Bit High and Bucketss were taking part in a skills session with local primary school children so were unavailable for comment but they have agreed to make a statement in this thread when the skills session wraps up.

Thanks peterss and StFly its an honour to be promoted to Co-Captain.

I look forward to and am committed to assisting in putting the Gumbies on the map. We have some exciting times ahead and it will be an enjoyable ride.

To StFly I want to thank you for the guidance and leadership you showed in my short time with you and I hope we see you again real soon as active and as confusing as ever.

To peterss I thank you for showing confidence in me to help lead this group of fine quootyers.

To Bucketss your work has been outstanding and I have expressed it to you in others posts, congratulations on the promotion and well deserved, I look forward to working closely with you to bring some of the young talent along that we have out Gumbyland.

To my team mates, my PM box is always open, feel free to contact me with any issues you may have. You have been fantastic so far since I became VC but lets not rest on it. We need to keep fighting for the respect we deserve. Keep active and lets make this season another one to remember.

To the SFA I have enjoyed being around most of you and have learnt a little bit from all of you. This is a great league and it probably took me a season or 2 to appreciate and understand it.....but be warned, that is the end of me being Mr Nice Guy. The gloves are well and truly off!!

There is only one thing left to say------

Drinks are on me!

Wait, his name isn't pronounced as Saint Fly? Well I'll be.

I always through of him as a flying nun...

The_Flying_Nun.jpg

Thanks peterss and StFly its an honour to be promoted to Co-Captain.

I look forward to and am committed to assisting in putting the Gumbies on the map. We have some exciting times ahead and it will be an enjoyable ride.

To StFly I want to thank you for the guidance and leadership you showed in my short time with you and I hope we see you again real soon as active and as confusing as ever.

To peterss I thank you for showing confidence in me to help lead this group of fine quootyers.

To Bucketss your work has been outstanding and I have expressed it to you in others posts, congratulations on the promotion and well deserved, I look forward to working closely with you to bring some of the young talent along that we have out Gumbyland.

To my team mates, my PM box is always open, feel free to contact me with any issues you may have. You have been fantastic so far since I became VC but lets not rest on it. We need to keep fighting for the respect we deserve. Keep active and lets make this season another one to remember.

To the SFA I have enjoyed being around most of you and have learnt a little bit from all of you. This is a great league and it probably took me a season or 2 to appreciate and understand it.....but be warned, that is the end of me being Mr Nice Guy. The gloves are well and truly off!!

There is only one thing left to say------

Drinks are on me!

Oh you big meanie.

Shame for him but thank god he didn't post this news as no-one would have understood what he was on about!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the best StFly , hope to see you back on here soon.

The appointment of A Bit High as Co-Captain is going to make that proposed trade a bit more awkward......... ;)

Shame for him but thank god he didn't post this news as no-one would have understood what he was on about!

The committee understood it easily enough, since when you trot out "it's a terminal illness" it's pretty obvious.

Whilst I also appreciate the well wishes, I also did not want to make this a thing, despite being my reasons for not being here. We all have stuff that otherwise keeps us off forums and out of games, the gravity and end result of mine is simply unbearable and still very raw.

All I've ever asked from anyone at the Gumbies is that they enjoy it here, and worked purely to that end, so that we had a good time and there was no real pressure on people to feel like they had to be here 24/7 to fill some manner of quota or some opinion on a random set of rules we deemed as "appropriate", because if you don't want to be here, and aren't enjoying it then what is the point prolonging the pain? I'm happy with the people we have managed to gather together, I'm happy that they're largely happy, and there was a little bit of relief from my beginnings at season 12 at winning the premiership considering the work pete and I did to rebuild the club and those who have contributed and held the club together since.

This is also not a new thing, I knew Feb this year 2013 was going to go into a tiny bin so I could set it on fire and forget it existed, prior to this season starting I attempted to step down because I knew I would have to, and that someone would either need to step into the position and redefine it, take it further than I could, or help out simply to help the club out so we didn't crash back to where we came from when I started. I just couldn't manage both, and there was no real choice of which was more more important.

It's a testament to those who have stepped up, ABH, Burger & Bucketss to fill that void and ABH especially for showing the desire to want to help us, so I can be happy that the club and pete will be left in good hands during my absence.

So is StFly dying?

If that is the case then I can only offer my deepest sympathies and will not comment on his inactivity.

If he wants to be honest then he might as well tell the whole story because I'm a little confused.
It's pretty obvious what's happening. Just read the OP again.

Second quote if you can't find anything.

It's pretty obvious what's happening. Just read the OP again.

Second quote if you can't find anything.

There we go, sometimes a giant block of text just blurs into one big tl:dr even though I've actually read it.

Another weird awkward question while we're here. Are you disabled? I saw your post about wheelchair soccer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back