Opinion Stick a fork in Him

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m pretty sure both Tyson & Hall are contracted until end of 2021.
I don’t know how often contracted players are delisted? They won’t have any trade value, unless they play some decent regular senior footy this season. In which case, we would likely keep them...
A lot of players out of contract at the end of the year though. It could be a huge list turnover if those on the fringes (Durdin, McKay, Haydon, even Wood & Ahern) continue to be unable to break into the team & stay in. Plus there is the perennially injured (Jacobs, Garner, EVW)
Last chance saloon for a fair chunk of our list... gonna be an interesting post season!

SnowRoo

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Time to close the thread mods

time to stop focusing on negatives

Didn't intend this at all to be negatively focused.

More a celebration that we now have, some genuine talent on the list that has moved past what we were relying on.

Tyson - Ziebull, Cunnington, Higgins, Anderson, Simpkin, Jacobs, LDU, Dumont, Bonar, Thomas all in front of him.

McKay - Brown, Larkey, Hosie, Durdin, Wood, Daw, Tarrant, Walker all ahead. Then Comben

Hall/JMac - LMAC, Polec, Ahern, Bonar, Pittard, Atley, Turner, EVW, Scott most if not all should be ahead.

The list has talent, why hold it back.

Celebrate it

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

More a celebration that we now have, some genuine talent on the list that has moved past what we were relying on.

Tyson - Ziebull, Cunnington, Higgins, Anderson, Simpkin, Jacobs, LDU, Dumont, Bonar, Thomas all in front of him.

McKay - Brown, Larkey, Hosie, Durdin, Wood, Daw, Tarrant, Walker all ahead. Then Comben

Hall/JMac - LMAC, Polec, Ahern, Bonar, Pittard, Atley, Turner, EVW, Scott most if not all should be ahead.

Celebrate it
Which McKay are you celebrating?

The one you forked in the OP?

For fork sake

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Celebrate it

Whoda thunk a thread nominating a bunch of our players up for delisting (in the forking pre-season) would have become negatively focused?

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Murphy , McKay , BJ are all under the pump.
Murphy last year of contract and hasn’t shown much
McKay is tracking pretty slowing but big men take time - hopefully he lifts he urgency.
BJ obviously needs to play or it’s curtains

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Ziebell? Where does he fit into this year's team. He's not a fwd and with the wealth of young mid talent he could struggle.

I'm expecting LDU to have a breakout year to be a top 50 player in the league by the end of the year.

The only weak parts of the side is another key back and quality defensive pressure fwd.

Murphy , McKay , BJ are all under the pump.
Murphy last year of contract and hasn’t shown much
McKay is tracking pretty slowing but big men take time - hopefully he lifts he urgency.
BJ obviously needs to play or it’s curtains

Ziebell? Where does he fit into this year's team. He's not a fwd and with the wealth of young mid talent he could struggle.

I'm expecting LDU to have a breakout year to be a top 50 player in the league by the end of the year.

The only weak parts of the side is another key back and quality defensive pressure fwd.
Wherever we need him
Mix of forward and mid in games

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Been a long time but I'm back.

Let's start some fun debate and disagreement.

At the end of 2020 who is done and why?

For me:

Dom Tyson
Was never what we needed, was never at the standard, too far back in line to see much best 22 time. Just doesn't stand out in any way, in every aspect we have better options. Should be a solid VFL contributor.

Ben McKay
BUST. Was never a 1st round pick and we over reached. Doesn't have the drive, doesn't have the desire, doesn't have the footy smarts, doesn't have the mongrel. Sorry all i see is a big ball of dopey fluff.

Jamie McMillan
Look he tries, you have to respect that, but in the end just doesn't have the skill level to be anything more than he has ever been, close but not quite. So many better options right now and in development, it's time JMac accepted he's better letting go and moving into coaching and development. Does have a good football mind.

Aaron Hall
We missed him at his prime and outside influences haven't helped since then. Even as depth material there are still so many ifs buts and maybes. "IF" he plays in honesty it's just stifling what could be the development of younger future. Get around the kids, share some knowledge then say thank you and goodnight.

Mason Wood
Could be, Would be, Should be. BUT HASN'T. I love Mason but reality has to hit somewhere. For some reason it just hasn't worked out. It's 2020 or bust. Of all players mentioned I do hope Mason is the one to prove me wrong. Sadly I think the odds are against it.

Bring it on!

Harsh on Macmillan. I don't think he's in our best 22 anymore, but of the other 4 listed, only Wood could ever claim he was. JMac has played 150+ games and is heading into his 11th season with the club. Tyson, McKay and Hall have played 13 games between them in 5 seasons between them. If JMac is done, then I think he's carved out a decent career with the skills he was born with.

JMac has had a decent AFL career - a pick #37 who has played 150+ games at one club. The others haven't. Tyson is a #3 pick who could not get established at two clubs and has made no impact at a third. Hall was a pick #7 who played 100 games at a basket case, but aside from a good month in 2016 has not lived up to anything. McKay has just turned 22 and hasn't had the opportunity to show what he has. Wood's body hasn't allowed him to hit the heights he looks capable of.

Tyson, Wood and Hall are at risk of wasting promising careers (Hall turns 30 this year, unless he does something amazing this year you could argue that his career is already wasted). McKay hasn't had a go at showing what promise he has. Macmillan might be the least talented of the five but he's easily carved out more than the others.

Anyway, back to the OP. I doubt Macmillan, Tyson or Hall can be part of anything beyond 2020 at any club. Wood can but unless he is truly awful this year, he'll find a home somewhere else. And unless McKay is nowhere near it in 2020, he could have some opportunity somewhere else.

I think Ziebell can play forward, he played a lot more up forward in 2018, he kicked 35.29 and had 13 goal assists. I think he has the potential to be a 40-45 goal scorer and that is without him being a major target. Brown kicked 60+ goals the last few years but the vast majority of I50s are directed at Brown. Ziebell is a bit like Martyn in that he can be difficult to match up against if the ball is coming inside the forward 50 pretty quickly.

If Jacobs is able to return or Bonar/LDU play more of a midfield role then it makes it hard to have Ziebell in the middle.

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
Probably says more about the personnel we had playing in the 2010’s than the opinions of some around here. I’m not in the MacMillan, Atley and Wright are spuds crew but I also don’t think they are team of a decade quality.
The team of the decade should have been the 2015 team.

would be easier listing who didn't and i'd be one of the very few that stayed the journey

I suspect the silent majority stuck with him throughout but cbf’d having to repeatedly negate the “concrete hands” crew.

Back