Play Nice Still no evidence against Melbourne re: tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy for the Dees that this will go no further but puzzled as to what it all means, like everybody else I guess.

If Connolly said to secure a priority pick and Bailey felt pressured to do so, and as a result of that Connolly direction, Bailey changed his selections and played around with positions, and that is clearly what the AFL have said he did that was prejudicial to the AFL's best interests, then clearly that has been enacted on the field and affected a match.

If Bailey changed selections and positions for a reason other than Connolly's direction, i.e experimentation, future development blah blah blah, then what the hell has Bailey been suspended for?

There is absolutely no middle ground there.

If doing what Bailey did is prejudicial to the AFL's best interest, then suspend every bloody coach that has done that towards the end of a season.

No, the issue is that the AFL have found Bailey did something at Connolly's direction that affected the team on match day. The only way for the AFL to find this is for Bailey to tell them. Of course the players tried hard in whatever position they were in, and didn't deliberately exhibit less skill on the day in order to lose.

Sanction Connolly for saying it in the first place ... deserves it for being so indiscreet. Fine Melbourne because they are responsible for the performance of their employees ... fine. They did that to Carlton after the idiots had been ousted from the club prior to our salary cap penalties. All good on that score.

However, you can not sanction Bailey unless Bailey tried to affect the result of a game. He has no other bearing aside from this. The AFL stuffed up. This only flies if Bailey walks away unscathed.

Sgt Schults says so

At the risk of taking your posts seriously I think the management of the club in 2009 was absolutely terrible. With Jimmy terminally ill there was no one to control the egos at the place and Bailey wasn't strong enough to deal with Connolly.
The club is completely different with Neeld and Craig in control of the FD.

Nah. You just got it wrong. Yesterday was the first time I'd posted re the penalties for tanking.

It's all a matter of opinion here, as I deem you to peddling more crap than anyone else in this thread.

Yet you're still here posting crap

Nah. Pretty sure Carlton paid that off with a loan from the AFL :D

Well that is handy for the Dees seeing as how a precedent has been set it would be remiss of the AFL not to "loan" Melbourne 500k.

I hope Vlad is happy now that he has completely turned our once great sporting competition into a made for tv money making entertainment business.

Happy for the Dees that this will go no further but puzzled as to what it all means, like everybody else I guess.

If Connolly said to secure a priority pick and Bailey felt pressured to do so, and as a result of that Connolly direction, Bailey changed his selections and played around with positions, and that is clearly what the AFL have said he did that was prejudicial to the AFL's best interests, then clearly that has been enacted on the field and affected a match.

If Bailey changed selections and positions for a reason other than Connolly's direction, i.e experimentation, future development blah blah blah, then what the hell has Bailey been suspended for?

There is absolutely no middle ground there.

If doing what Bailey did is prejudicial to the AFL's best interest, then suspend every bloody coach that has done that towards the end of a season.

No, the issue is that the AFL have found Bailey did something at Connolly's direction that affected the team on match day. The only way for the AFL to find this is for Bailey to tell them. Of course the players tried hard in whatever position they were in, and didn't deliberately exhibit less skill on the day in order to lose.

Sanction Connolly for saying it in the first place ... deserves it for being so indiscreet. Fine Melbourne because they are responsible for the performance of their employees ... fine. They did that to Carlton after the idiots had been ousted from the club prior to our salary cap penalties. All good on that score.

However, you can not sanction Bailey unless Bailey tried to affect the result of a game. He has no other bearing aside from this. The AFL stuffed up. This only flies if Bailey walks away unscathed.

That's because the AFL approached the issue with the desired outcome and worked backwards. I believe they knew/thought Melbourne tanked, wanted to punish them, but couldn't admit it due to gaming regulations etc. Therefore their findings are completely illogical for all parties as you can't have one without the other. The real question will be if the AFL obtained enough evidence to convict Melbourne of tanking but choose not to for the good of Vlad and Melbourne. If that is the case, then the VIC gaming commissions investigation is going to come up with a different outcome. They also have the power to get people prosecuted by police if they are found to be lying, it could give them a few more teeth and I'm not sure Bailey will be wanting to go to jail when he's been hung out to dry already.

What is very evident is the lack of loyalty to Bailey and Connolly by the 'club'.

Check your facts. Connolly will keep his job, it has been suggested at an increased salary, and will be "looked after" by various benefactors in the interim. He has been (very) publicly supported by the club. My understanding is that we covered or helped cover Bailey's legal expenses.

Check your facts. Connolly will keep his job, it has been suggested at an increased salary, and will be "looked after" by various benefactors in the interim. He has been (very) publicly supported by the club. My understanding is that we covered or helped cover Bailey's legal expenses.
Probably wishes he made his off-the-cuff remark a year earlier now.

That's because the AFL approached the issue with the desired outcome and worked backwards. I believe they knew/thought Melbourne tanked, wanted to punish them, but couldn't admit it due to gaming regulations etc. Therefore their findings are completely illogical for all parties as you can't have one without the other. The real question will be if the AFL obtained enough evidence to convict Melbourne of tanking but choose not to for the good of Vlad and Melbourne. If that is the case, then the VIC gaming commissions investigation is going to come up with a different outcome. They also have the power to get people prosecuted by police if they are found to be lying, it could give them a few more teeth and I'm not sure Bailey will be wanting to go to jail when he's been hung out to dry already.
But one also needs to factor in that the Commission will almost certainly be subject to a higher standard of proof. If balance of probabilities didn't do it - and I'm convinced the AFL would have found tanking if its rules permitted it to do so - then I doubt anything will be proven beyond reasonable doubt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But one also needs to factor in that the Commission will almost certainly be subject to a higher standard of proof. If balance of probabilities didn't do it - and I'm convinced the AFL would have found tanking if its rules permitted it to do so - then I doubt anything will be proven beyond reasonable doubt

Tell them a fib & you can be prosecuted by the Police. I dont believe any close scrutiny of 800 pages would not find an inconsistency or nine.

The Gambling guys are looking at whether the management of the club, including the board, have integrity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back