Toast Still the biggest

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Yes so I think we should stop beating our collective chests about being number one.
Although we could look upon not dropping off as a positive I suppose.

So our number 1 mantle is absolutely meaningless and basically a lie.

I'm curious as to whether our 75 number includes AFLW and Netball memberships.
The article says AFLW memberships are included. They don't give a club by club break down, but 7k were included across the league. Whether that 7k is only new members or includes add ons to an existing membership is also unknown. We had both options, but from memory I don't think all clubs did.

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wow!
That must men top Four at the least.
Oh wait.......
We are a laughable club in the world of AFL.
Thank f@rk we have enough less than menza member prepared to part with their hard earned.

I think you might struggle to get into menza, perhaps you should try Mensa instead.

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
The reality is unless you get a breakdown of these membership numbers in terms of categories and what one club offers compared to another or does or doesn't include in the final total it doesn't give an accurate description of how a side is faring for that season or from one year to the next.

For example we offer a 3 game membership whereas I have no idea if all teams do.

Likewise if we or another team have 5,000 people downgrade from an 11 game season ticket to that of a 3 game one it's hardly equal in terms of revenue.

Transparency is what I'd like to see.

The better test of how well a club is supporter is membership revenue, and for the past 2 seasons ours went down.

I'd expect given those figures, with only a very slight increase in total numbers, that it will go down again as many downgrade from the big packages (legends, captains) to cheaper packages that offer better value.

anshell

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
manchester united
If we massage the figures don't you think that the other clubs do that as welL?It's naïve to think that we're the only ones who do that.For example does anyone really believe that GWS has 21,000 members?

Last edited:

thatday

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd like to see an actual breakdown on how many members we have in each category. I remember when we were making finals we'd sold out of legends memberships which I think is capped at under 20,000 given we all get Grand Final access. I'd be amazed if we had over 10,000 now - although in saying that level 2 does always seem to be the fullest part of the ground so maybe we've held onto the higher priced membership holders. The people sitting around me haven't changed much in the last 5 years.

Our revenue is still pretty good from memberships though, from memory on average Collingwood memberships are on the more expensive side in comparison to other Vic clubs.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
Emperor Ed: “In a period where it’s been tough for Pies fans, they have voted with their membership dollars. We want to make sure they get rewarded next year.”

Wonder how the Emperor is planning to reward us next year??
Should be interesting, this year they rewarded us by axing the VFL streams and the Black and White show.
Who knows what next years reward will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Richmond don't come close when it comes to support. When we are up and firing eg 2010-2011 our crowds were big and loud every week. The noise at a few of our more recent prelims has been off the Richter scale. Yet the media still try tp push the myth of the sleeping giant at Richmond. They have played finals three of the past four years and still can't go past us as we slide further down the ladder each year.

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
Something seems very off about those figures......

So I checked in with my Collingwood source ( yeah I know I refer to this person all the time ) he mentioned that we do something different in our numbers that other clubs don't . I won't go into detail but had to do with how we count our members and what we include in the functions we put on. ( complicated ) having said that he did say Eddies focus had always been to look after members first. This yeah we did it differently which resulted in a massive increase in $$$$
Something like that...

Anyway in about 2 weeks my source is having dinner with those in the "know" about recruiting etc, so stay tune, I'm on the case!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So I checked in with my Collingwood source ( yeah I know I refer to this person all the time ) he mentioned that we do something different in our numbers that other clubs don't . I won't go into detail but had to do with how we count our members and what we include in the functions we put on. ( complicated ) having said that he did say Eddies focus had always been to look after members first. This yeah we did it differently which resulted in a massive increase in $$$$
Something like that...

Anyway in about 2 weeks my source is having dinner with those in the "know" about recruiting etc, so stay tune, I'm on the case!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He has failed.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
The numbers are important, just like ratings and crowds as it can validate a larger sponsorship deal for the club.

That is the big win and selling point of these such totals, so from that perspective it doesn't matter if they are a 3 game or legend member.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond don't come close when it comes to support. When we are up and firing eg 2010-2011 our crowds were big and loud every week. The noise at a few of our more recent prelims has been off the Richter scale. Yet the media still try tp push the myth of the sleeping giant at Richmond. They have played finals three of the past four years and still can't go past us as we slide further down the ladder each year.
Richmond being a big club is a myth, their crowds from 1963 (iirc) to the 1990s were massively enhanced due to being one of only 2 clubs who played their home games at the MCG, and even then Collingwood were pretty much on par with them even though we played at Vic park, they had a massive advantage in stadium size-location and car parking.

Ever since Collingwood moved to the G Richmond have outdrawn us once iirc.

All being equal i have Richmond 4th-5th.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond being a big club is a myth, their crowds from 1963 (iirc) to the 1990s were massively enhanced due to being one of only 2 clubs who played their home games at the MCG, and even then Collingwood were pretty much on par with them even though we played at Vic park, they had a massive advantage in stadium size-location and car parking.

Ever since Collingwood moved to the G Richmond have outdrawn us once iirc.

All being equal i have Richmond 4th-5th.

Looks like your boycott went gang busters this year Frankie boy!

Keep up the good work in 2018 mate. :thumbsu:

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks like your boycott went gang busters this year Frankie boy!

Keep up the good work in 2018 mate. :thumbsu:
Crowd figures don't backup the membership numbers, unless there's a change in coach i can see us taking a big hit in memberships next year, 60k max IMO (before Ed and his creative book keepers get to work).

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Crowd figures don't backup the membership numbers, unless there's a change in coach i can see us taking a big hit in memberships next year, 60k max IMO (before Ed and his creative book keepers get to work).

You want to make a bet Mr "Collingwood Club In Crisis"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back