Discussion StK v Adel

Remove this Banner Ad

Any chance Birss, Steven, Armo, McEvoy, Xavier Clarke this week?

Thought we needed lead-up forwards at Subi, so fair enough with Chucky but 5 kicks in 82% TOG was probably indicative of his impact (albeit presented which was important structurally). Would Macca have a bigger impact as a forward (and support ruckman) now he's got some good touches with Casey?

Milney might not get up - so one spot available? My money is on X, but Ross seems to fancy The Flea?

Assume Raph has earned another game (hopefully they don't throw him back ever again)? The coaching staff are falling into the trap of playing Gwilty in defence - I'd really rather they develop him as a runner with Casey instead of getting dragged to full-back with the Saints.

CJ, Mini, Eddy, Dempster all quite serviceable (so Birss may be unlucky again)?

I doubt the side will change since they had a good win. Unless Milney is injured or Luke Ball is ready to come back, neither of which I think is the case.

Any chance Birss, Steven, Armo, McEvoy, Xavier Clarke this week?

Thought we needed lead-up forwards at Subi, so fair enough with Chucky but 5 kicks in 82% TOG was probably indicative of his impact (albeit presented which was important structurally). Would Macca have a bigger impact as a forward (and support ruckman) now he's got some good touches with Casey?

Milney might not get up - so one spot available? My money is on X, but Ross seems to fancy The Flea?

Assume Raph has earned another game (hopefully they don't throw him back ever again)? The coaching staff are falling into the trap of playing Gwilty in defence - I'd really rather they develop him as a runner with Casey instead of getting dragged to full-back with the Saints.

CJ, Mini, Eddy, Dempster all quite serviceable (so Birss may be unlucky again)?
Mostly Agree:
Chuck out Chucky. But not sure about Macca to take this spot. Maybe!

X Should be in. Even if it means dropping someone who dosn't deserve it.
I wouldn't be upset if Mc Qualter or Eddy went out for X.
If Milne is out, i think Birss could play the forward crumbing role, plus would be better when he moves back.
I don't know if we would want to add both Macca and Steven at the same time.

Ball and X Clarke in if available.

I thought St Kilda's least effective players yesterday were Gilbert, C Gardiner, Eddy & Gwilt. Gilbert is needed for structure, but the other three may be in trouble. Also Milne may be injured.

If C Gardiner comes out, we probably need to replace him with a marking target. Remember that Matthew Ferguson was named as an emergency this week.

Having said all that, the fewer changes the better.

Ball and X Clarke in if available.

I thought St Kilda's least effective players yesterday were Gilbert, C Gardiner, Eddy & Gwilt. Gilbert is needed for structure, but the other three may be in trouble. Also Milne may be injured.

If C Gardiner comes out, we probably need to replace him with a marking target. Remember that Matthew Ferguson was named as an emergency this week.

Having said all that, the fewer changes the better.

Exactly. Despite those named above being ineffective, I wouldn't say they had a bad game. Eddy still contributed a goal, whilst Gwilt was involved in many passages of play.

Would love to get Bally back if we could though.

Mostly Agree:
Chuck out Chucky. But not sure about Macca to take this spot. Maybe!

X Should be in. Even if it means dropping someone who dosn't deserve it.
I wouldn't be upset if Mc Qualter or Eddy went out for X.
If Milne is out, i think Birss could play the forward crumbing role, plus would be better when he moves back.
I don't know if we would want to add both Macca and Steven at the same time.

My gosh.... are you serious?

You must work at St Kilda cos thats been a major problem on thursday nights; picking guys on their reps, not their output.

X has not played since round 5, and has had 1 good game with casey since, and you want to drop an UNDESERVING player, just cos of X's rep of being a decent player? X is a liability with his hammy, and at the pointy end, is not worth the risk.

Mini has been surperb (barring his effort against Swan) Has tagged, and BEATEN, Murphy, Pearce, Mitchell, Farmer (once on him in the 2nd half) and a few others.. and you want him dropped?

Eddy is a good developing kid who tries very hard and has an impact. his forward pressue has been awesome! half our problem this season has been that we have had 0 forward pressure. he gives that, and you want him dropped?

Thats the thing with St Kilda - a lot of people never notice the guys who do the team effort.

Chucky out, permanently. R Clarke out, permanently (while im sympathetic to his situation, he just doesnt cut it) Gwilt out, permanently. I dont care if they were 'servicable' on the weekend,. Their entire careers have been based on 1 good game and 3 shockers that cause turnovers and goals.

Birss in, Armo in (play him on the ball, not in a pocket), Macca in as a fwd

Imagine if those outs dont happen, and fiora comes back in

Chuck
Fiora
R Clarke
Gwilt

all in the same game.....

Negative? No. Realistic? Yes

EDIT: Gilbo must be dropped, has been in horrible form. Gives away easy goals weekly. In a game against the crows, goals will be at a premium

Has Clarke played three or four games in the reserves? If so, he has proved his fitness. If they don't play him now, then he should be delisted. Count me as someone who believes he should play next week. And Bally is an automatic selection if fit.

At this stage of the year we have to settle on a squad of about 25 guys to play the rest of the year. I would suggest that group is the 22 who played yesterday, with Luke Ball, Xavier Clarke and one more (probably Shane Birss or maybe a marking option like Matthew Ferguson - who has played finals football).

My gosh.... are you serious?

You must work at St Kilda cos thats been a major problem on thursday nights; picking guys on their reps, not their output.

X has not played since round 5, and has had 1 good game with casey since, and you want to drop an UNDESERVING player, just cos of X's rep of being a decent player? X is a liability with his hammy, and at the pointy end, is not worth the risk.

Mini has been surperb (barring his effort against Swan) Has tagged, and BEATEN, Murphy, Pearce, Mitchell, Farmer (once on him in the 2nd half) and a few others.. and you want him dropped?

Eddy is a good developing kid who tries very hard and has an impact. his forward pressue has been awesome! half our problem this season has been that we have had 0 forward pressure. he gives that, and you want him dropped?

Thats the thing with St Kilda - a lot of people never notice the guys who do the team effort.

Chucky out, permanently. R Clarke out, permanently (while im sympathetic to his situation, he just doesnt cut it) Gwilt out, permanently. I dont care if they were 'servicable' on the weekend,. Their entire careers have been based on 1 good game and 3 shockers that cause turnovers and goals.

Birss in, Armo in (play him on the ball, not in a pocket), Macca in as a fwd

Imagine if those outs dont happen, and fiora comes back in

Chuck
Fiora
R Clarke
Gwilt

all in the same game.....

Negative? No. Realistic? Yes

EDIT: Gilbo must be dropped, has been in horrible form. Gives away easy goals weekly. In a game against the crows, goals will be at a premium
X has had a couple of good games with Casey, you don't have to play them in the reserves for a year every time they are injured!
X is bloody good and can play better footy than Eddy even though I think Eddy looks great for his age and experience.

Gilbert was a second round pick the year before Armitage. He is coming along nicely. All backmen concede goals or we would be getting none kicked against us. You can't just get rid of him unless you have someone better in mind.

X has played the last 3 games with Casey, and is integral to St Kilda.

Interpol - let us be the judge of whether you are being realistic. Gilbo has been set mismatches by the coaching staff all year (playing on short people) and just when he gets his sh#t together you want to drop him? No chance - very highly rated by many.

Every club has depth players, who are not integral to winning a flag but are expected to come in and do a job when asked.

With long term injuries to Gehrig, Goose, Clarke, Baker, and Attard, a few players not coming up as expected (Allen, Howard, Geary, Armitage - all of whom can play), and a couple of young 'uns who were longer term prospects (McEvoy, Connors, Steven) we are relying heavily on the older guys who have been around the mill a few times.

I would think that there will be a minumum of changes of the end of the year, and the club has already stated they rate Raph and will support him into next year. Not my fav as a player but that's the decision the club has made.

Along with #35 and Gehrig there will be four changes and Ferguson, Chucky, and Leigh Fish would be looked at. Clearly Gwilt is highly rated by Ross (more than me). Not sure who the 4th one will be (won't be Gardi and doubt Fiora who has a contract).

If we were able to have another draft like this one (King, Dempster, Schneider, McEvoy, Steven), and get the long-term guys rehabilitated we will be much better placed for a tilt. Doesn't need slash & burn.

give charlie gardiner a chance he hasnt had enough consecutive games to have effect on games.. gwilt should have gone 2 years ago he's hopeless & fiora shouldnt come back ever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, Rixy might be the 4th.

I actually rate him higher than many, but he should have been moulded into a backman. As they are playing him as a forward at Casey (which he wouldn't play as with the Saints) I assume they will delist him.

McEvoy, Haretuku and McGrath will probably need the game time and I assume Gardi and King will be around next year.

give charlie gardiner a chance he hasnt had enough consecutive games to have effect on games.. gwilt should have gone 2 years ago he's hopeless & fiora shouldnt come back ever

Chucky had four games in a row earlier in the year, getting four kicks in the fourth game.

Then had three in a row rounds 12-14 and had 6 kicks in the third game.

Had 5 kicks on the weekend.

His manager asked to Saints to pick him up, we obliged, and to date it hasn't worked out. There should be no obligation to offer another contract.

They won't delist Gwilt in my opinion. I don't think he fits in to an AFL team, but the coaching staff have rapts on him. So I think the coaches would need to go for Gwilt to be delisted.

Fiora has a contract next year, so you're happy to flush it down the dunny?

Chucky had four games in a row earlier in the year, getting four kicks in the fourth game.

Then had three in a row rounds 12-14 and had 6 kicks in the third game.

Had 5 kicks on the weekend.

His manager asked to Saints to pick him up, we obliged, and to date it hasn't worked out. There should be no obligation to offer another contract.

They won't delist Gwilt in my opinion. I don't think he fits in to an AFL team, but the coaching staff have rapts on him. So I think the coaches would need to go for Gwilt to be delisted.

Fiora has a contract next year, so you're happy to flush it down the dunny?

When some of us posted comments about his Chucky's earlier games - inconsistant, shows promise then nothing, etc, some of the Cats supports commented that he had always been like that for them as well.

I would like to hope that if the Saints do offload the likes of Rix, Fish, Fiora etc that they try to get them the kind of late pick freeby trade we used to get King and Chucky. I would imagine there would be room on the lists of Melbourne, Essendon, etc.

Ball straight back in if available. X. Clarke and Birss should be close to a call up as well and if we are dropping Gardiner then Big Ben might be in line for a call out. As for outs, Gardiner, Raph, Gwil and Eddy could be in trouble. Either Gardiner, Raph or Gwilt must stay in as a forward option if needed though. If Milne is injured then Steven should get his small forward spot
In: 3 of Ball(inj?) X. Clarke Birss McEvoy +[Steven]
Out: 3 of Gardiner Gwilt Eddy Raph +[Milne(inj?)]

I question whether the Big Mac is ready for AFL footy yet, but from what I have seen I love the bloke, convinced he'll be a star and honestly even performing like he did last time he doesn't add any less than say Chuck does (in fact he adds more with his rucking). Now might not be the best time to give him a crack though admittedly.

Anyway, my prediction St. Kilda by 41, Lenny Hayes BOG, Harves 25+ touches, Roo 4 goals (I had a dream about it)

St Kilda coach Ross Lyon says forward Stephen Milne is likely to miss next week's clash against Adelaide at Docklands Stadium. Lyon says Milne's injury appeared to be worse than first thought, with the forward staying behind in Perth to have the damage to his eye assessed."He has had it scanned over there and [has] been delayed with his flight. It looks like he might miss a week."
Lyon said it may give another player a start for the club.

"It is about someone else stepping up and taking their opportunity."
Link
FSN reporting that it's a broken cheekbone and he will need to be driven back. But i'll wait for official word me thinks.

Perhaps an opportunity for Jack Steven? Lets hope so. :thumbsu:

Don't need to change it up a whole lot.

In: Steven/Birss
Out: Milne

CHB - you've seen some Casey games.

Do you think Chucky deserves another game in front of X who has now played 3 on the trot?

I really can't remember him having an impact at the Casey games.

IMO Chucky's just a good solid VFL player. Much the same as Sautner, Podsiadly etc. He looks the goods playing Ressies but can't build on it at AFL level. I don't think he can improve from here, he's already 25 and will only ever be as good as a fringe player. With the impact aspect you have a good point there, i don't know why he doesn't impact games. Raph and Gwilt had more impact on the weekend, to be honest i didn't even realise he was playing. Obviously the match committee see something we don't.

X i think has had 3 games at VFL level just as a precaution to make sure he's match fit. He broke down last time when he was about to come back. Would definitely expect X to be in contention for selection this week.

X>>>Chucky every day of the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back