Discussion StK v Adel

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie will be gone at season end. Has played the odd 60 AFL games, so I think he has actually done very well for a player with his talent. There are much more gifted players who did not play as many games as he did.

Just does not have the ability to have an impact week in week out.

L.Fisher, M. Ferguson and one of M.Rix and M.gardiner may all go. You would of thought both McQualter and Eddy have done enough to recieve promotions to the senior list. So there could be one or two more delistings after that, to go along the Harvey and G-Train retirements.

For this week: Milne and C.Gardiner out
Birss and X.Clarke in.

Please stick to the topic.

If you want to discuss player management, start a thread on it and discuss it there. There is too much of the same discussion spilling over several threads all of it off topic.

Ins: Birss, X.Clarke, Armo/Steven
Out: Milne (inj), Gardiner, Raph
Hopefully Birss can get back in and be given a job as a defensive fwd on McLeod as he did so well on Heath Shaw earlier this season.
X.Clarke to come in to give us a bit more creativity and pace to the line up, and one of either Armo or Jack Steven. Jack Steven if we feel the need to fill the void left by Milne or Armo if we choose to bolster the midfield rotation

Chucky had four games in a row earlier in the year, getting four kicks in the fourth game.

Then had three in a row rounds 12-14 and had 6 kicks in the third game.

Had 5 kicks on the weekend.

His manager asked to Saints to pick him up, we obliged, and to date it hasn't worked out. There should be no obligation to offer another contract.

They won't delist Gwilt in my opinion. I don't think he fits in to an AFL team, but the coaching staff have rapts on him. So I think the coaches would need to go for Gwilt to be delisted.

Fiora has a contract next year, so you're happy to flush it down the dunny?

I am.:thumbsu:

Just while I think of it, there's no chance Rossco would pick Fiora again for Milney's spot or to replace Chuck? He couldn't, coud he?

I'm thinking (hoping) the light bulb has gone "PING!!!!" in the minds of the coaches and we stop relying on smalls to be marking targets. Our lack of forward line structure is affecting ball-movement upfield (has done all year). If you have an "out" via bombing the ball into F50 (by always having a tall target) the players are more likely to be able to take a risk with carrying the ball. No point asking a Milne or Eddy or Harvey to take a pack mark (we've fallen into that trap more than once!!!).

We do not need any more exposure to those underpants (as seen on Before The Game).

btg-tool-of-the-week-rnd-18.jpg

I reckon Birss coming back to tag McLeod would be a pretty good idea. He tears us up every single time we play. Need to negate his influence.

We do not need any more exposure to those underpants (as seen on Before The Game).

btg-tool-of-the-week-rnd-18.jpg
Dear oh dear oh dear...

You know THAT'll be up on a big screen at his 21st in a few years time...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our cheersuad sit down at the lockett end.
It would be very wise to pre-book tickets just because the game is dubbed the Robert Harvey Appreciation day/game and there should be quite a few extra sainters there. :thumbsu:

Funny, for the crap milne has copped @ times, he is a massive loss this weekend. Because if Schneider doesn't turn up, we have no crumbing forward...

Out: Milne (inj) C Gardiner (useless)

In: X Clarke (hope he is fit, if he goes down it'll only hurt the team again) Fiora (not my choice, but you watch the morons on Thursday night pick him)

Emerg: Birss, Rix, C Gardiner

Now for my thoughts

Out: Milne, C Gardiner

In: X, Birss

Emerg: Geary, Steven, Rix

Armitage had a pretty average game @ casey on the weekend, won't be selected.

I can't follow (nor stomach) your comments on X.

Bit more respect warranted for a 100 game player.

Played 18 games last year and is still one of our best tacklers.

Had the last three games at Casey and performed well (didn't even break down once! :rolleyes:).

Rarely doesn't have an impact on games, and locks the ball into the F50 which is a problem area for us.

Shouldn't have played that final against Melbourne, but we went in with a half dozen injured players. X hardly lacks courage as he showed that night (maybe a problem given his frame).

Do you think Burkey just hands his jumper to anyone? Maybe he just licked his finger, held it up to the wind and said "oh s**t X will do for now".

:confused:

St. Kilda vs Adelaide
Sunday August 24, 1:40 PM local time, Telstra Dome
Betting: St. Kilda $1.75 vs. Adelaide $2.05
Weather - showers forecast for the weekend, so strong chance the roof will be closed (I hope).​

Milestones:

Robert Harvey tribute match
Ben Rutten – 100 games
Scott Stevens – 100 games

Recent encounters:

St Kilda: 3, Adelaide 2, not including that NAB cup grand final that we lost
2007 - R15 St Kilda 2.3 6.8 9.13 11.16 (82) dftd Adelaide 5.2 6.5 9.8 12.8 (80) Telstra Dome
2006 R12 St Kilda 2.1 3.7 5.10 8.12 (60) lost to Adelaide 5.3 10.7 13.12 18.15 (123) Telstra Dome
2005 QF Adelaide 3.3 3.5 5.7 8.9 (57)lost to St Kilda 1.0 6.3 9.3 10.5 (65) AAMI Stadium
2005 R9 St Kilda 5.2 5.4 8.6 8.9 (57) lost to Adelaide 1.2 7.3 13.7 15.13 (103) Telstra Dome
2004 R19 St Kilda 6.1 9.5 11.5 14.7 (91) dftd Adelaide 2.0 7.1 9.4 10.8 (68) York Park

Recent Form:

Adelaide (4 wins, 1 loss)
vs Essendon - WIN (56 points)
vs Richmond - WIN (63 points)
vs Carlton - WIN (8 points)
vs Sydney - WIN (24 points)
vs Port Adelaide - LOSS (12 points)

St. Kilda (3 wins, 2 losses)
vs Fremantle - WIN (43 points)
vs Collingwood - LOSS (14 points)
vs Port Adelaide - WIN (8 points)
vs West Coast - LOSS (17 points)
vs Hawthorn - WIN (30 points)

Last time we met:

Truck Rutten was injured before half time, wrecking our structure. Bock, playing up forward, was forced into the backlines, but we were unable to contain Fraiser Gehrig (4 goals 4) and Nick Reiwoldt (18 marks, 2 goals 1), whilst Sam Fisher went berserk in defence (15 marks, 30 possessions) and Lenny Hayes (32 touches, 10 tackles), Robert Harvey (33 touches, 8 marks), Leigh Montangna (32 touches) and Justin Koschitzke (18 touches, 21 hitouts and 1 goal) ripped us apart in the midfield. Adelaide battled well with Burton, Welsh, Bock and Ricciuto combining for 10 goals. Mcleod, Goodwin, Thompson and Doughty were our highest ballwinners with 27, 26, 24 and 25 possessions respectively. I don't imagine much can be drawn from this game, as both sides have changed a fair bit, however it did show that we need to contain Reiwoldt, curb their run from defence, and get on top of their midfield to win. Can't let so many good players get that many touches this time around.

Likely Adelaide team:

B: Nathan Bassett, Ben Rutten, Kris Massie
HB: Brad Symes, Nathan Bock, Andrew McLeod
C: Nathan van Berlo, Brent Reilly, Michael Doughty
HF: Simon Goodwin, Scott Stevens, Tyson Edwards
F: Richard Douglas, Nick Gill, Graham Johncock
Foll: Ivan Maric, Scott Thompson, Robert Shirley
I/C: Bryce Campbell, Brad Moran, David Mackay, Chris Knights
IN: Chris Knights
OUT: Patrick Dangerfield

Possible Changes:

Chris Knights is available for the game, so he's pretty much a certainty to return, as we'd be keen to get him back in the side before finals. Fan favourite Patrick Dangerfield, unfortunately, may be the one to make way, although Campbell, despite his good form in limited gametime, may also be the one to get cut. Either way, someone will be very unlucky. Jared Petrenko is also a chance to come in, given his recent upgrade from the rookie list, and since Otten and Dangerfield have recently been given games to see who we can rely on come finals. With Johncock up forward, he could be used in a back pocket position. Despite being on the emergency list quite a lot recently, I still consider his selection unlikely, but a chance none the less. Porplyzia hasn't yet been ruled out for this week, but I don't expect to see him until at least round 22.

Down back:

Our backline continues to be as solid as ever, having conceded less points than any other side bar league leader Geelong. St Kilda, more through their gameplan than anything, have not been kicking big scores this year, having less points overall (marginally) than a certain Adelaide based team renowned for having a non-existent forward line. With Milne out, Reiwoldt and Schneider, who combined for 9 goals 5 last week, loom as the men to stop. Bock will start on Reiwoldt, and has good previous form on him, although we shouldn't expect as much run from Bocky if this matchup occurs. With Stiffy playing in the forwardline, the deceptively agile Kris Massie would be my pick to take Schneider. Rutten will likely take the inconsistent Charlie Gardiner, providing he isn't dropped, and should hold him well. Milne out is handy, as he often sneaks a few against us, but his likely replacement, Birss, is capable of taking McLeod out of the game, and kicking a goal or two himself. Overall, if Bock can curb Reiwoldt's influence, I don't see us being troubled too much here.

In the middle:

St Kilda, even without Luke Ball, have a quality midfield unit, with Lenny Hayes and Robert Harvey both more than capable of breaking games wide open, as Harvey tends to do against us with great regularity. I don't see us putting a strong tag on both of these blokes, but I'm sure Shriley will start on one or the other; probably Hayes given his strong game last weekend. Dal Santo needs to be made accountable, despite not having his best season, and Xavier Clarke MAY come back in, although he's still yet to play with any consistency. If we can stop Harvey and Hayes running wild, it will go a long way towards winning the game for us, and I believe we have the cattle to do it, with Shirley, Doughty, van Berlo and Thompson all in close to career best form. King and Kosi are a decent ruck duo, and Kosi, despite not matching his dominant pre-injury form, can still be a handful up forward. Our ruckmen can too, however, so it'll be interesting to see who wins this battle.

Up forward:

Where will our goals come from this week? Spin the wheel, basically. We might have a makeshift forwardline, but we're kicking goals. Three weeks ago it was our ruckmen, two weeks ago pretty much everyone scored one or two, last week Nick Gill stood up. St Kilda's backline, led by the underrated Max Hudghton, is a strong one, especially given the rather defensive tactics Lyon has employed. Hudghton is a very good match for Gill, so I don't imagine his output will be the same as it was last week against Ryder, if only because Maxy at least knows how to spoil and won't continuously attempt and fail to take mark of the year. It might well come down to a battle of the resting ruckmen, with Moran and Maric up our end and Kosi up theirs. St Kilda get a lot of run from defence, particularly from Sam Fisher, who's been in excellent form. Our forwards and midfield will need to work hard to make sure Fisher, Blake, Gram, Montagna and Gilbert are under pressure at all times. It will likely be a struggle to score goals, and, even at the dome, I don't see us getting close to the massive scores posted in previous weeks.

Summary:

St. Kilda are a basketcase this year. I can't predict if they'll win or how they'll play. We may see a low scoring grind, we might see a free flowing shoot out. Either way, it won't be an easy victory, and, despite their inconsistent form, they're a strong side. They have a habit of playing like crap for the first half, and blowing a team away in the second, so we'll need a good 4 quarter effort here. We play the dome as well as anyone, and our form has been good but it'll be interesting to see if we can kick a score, given that our previous 3 opponents weren't exactly defensively strong. We needed injured Porplyiza to win the game for us last time we played a decent defensive side, so we're probably out of luck there. Don't expect anyone to kick a bag. The game will likely be won by goalkicking midfielders and ruckmen. Goodwin, Moran, Maric and Douglas loom as potential matchwinners for us, whilst I'm tipping Gram, Kosi and Dal Santo to be damaging on the scoreboard for them.

Prediction:

Again, it depends on which St. Kilda turns up, but I'm not confident this will be a blowout. Hopefully we can continue our run towards the top 4.
Adelaide by 10.

Our cheersuad sit down at the lockett end.
It would be very wise to pre-book tickets just because the game is dubbed the Robert Harvey Appreciation day/game and there should be quite a few extra sainters there. :thumbsu:

An extra 50 saints supporters are expected to turn up :) defiantly pre book!

An extra 50 saints supporters are expected to turn up :) defiantly pre book!

Obviously you don't remember Burkey's last game where we pounded your sorry @rses back to Punt Rd.

A great crowd that day lapped it up that your team didn't turn up to play.

Given Kildonan's set me the task of a write-up for the Croweater's board, I may as well share the un-edited version!!!

The Scene : Telstra Dome – remains a fortress for the Saints with a 7-2 record this year against teams who are not tenants of the Dome.

The Occasion : The final regular season home game for Saints fans to thank Robert Harvey for being Robert Harvey. The club has located just about all of the 210 players who have pulled on the jumper with the great man to be present at the game for a guard of honour. Robert “Mad Dog” Muir will probably turn up even though he didn’t play with Harvs, so watch out Adelaide fans. I expect Barry Hall has been made as welcome as a dog t u r d on the front lawn.

The opponent : Adelaide, who have won the past four in a row after previously losing four in a row against decent opposition. Their season is well and truly back on track and the Crows have snuffed the life out of Carlton and Richmond’s seasons, although the Tigers are not ruling out a serious challenge for 9th spot.

The Dirt : Whilst Saints fans have been able to take an immediate dislike to a number of Port Adelaide players, Adelaide is a much more difficult proposition. They play the game hard but I can’t really recall any low dog acts which is quite disappointing (although they did belt the sh!t out of Harvs in '97). They also don’t flop over backwards with the slightest front-on contact like their ugly SA cousins (you know, the ones you see at Xmas but regret it each and every year).

There also hasn’t been much trading between the clubs other than us fobbing Begley on you, and us shuddering that we gave up pick 17 for Fergus (which you guys promptly blew on Darren Pfeiffer).

It’s pleasing that Kenny McGregor hasn’t been playing, as he reminds me far too much of Shane “Who?” Ellen – I still have nightmares about 1997. But then so does Nick Gill who also doesn’t look like he’s had a wash in a month (is he English?).

Mind you, Malcolm Blight is not flavour of the month at the moment (well I suppose he’d be poo-flavoured if were talking ice-cream), and there is that horrible link with the Crows we are all trying to forget. We’re still trying to work out what a "rat’s toss-bag" is, and have not ruled out anything involving golf in the Qld sunshine with an un-earned $1m pay-packet.

The match-ups : Adelaide’s got a raft of mids who rack up good numbers and seem to be able to kick goals. Very difficult to shut down, but that’s the task set for the Saints to win this game. Stephen King returned to form last week against the Jolly Purple Giant, which is an area the Saints may try to exploit, and we excelled in the clearances with Lenny (as usual) and Dal in an unfamiliar role. Montagna, Goddard, Gram and Harvey all found space and Sam Fisher provided rebound (despite playing on The Pavlova) which Adelaide will need to restrict.

Riewoldt has been on fire for the last 8 weeks. Who will take him? Will Ben Rutten get bad chafing having to chase Roo around with those tree-trunk legs (in his 100th game) or will they try Nathan “Dog” Basset-hound? Possibly “The C o ck” will help out as he looks like he’s been a little down lately and won’t have Milney annoying him.

The issues :
Will the Perth travel be a problem for anyone bar Milney?
Which St Kilda outfit will turn up to the game with the difference between our best and worst probably being greater than any other team?
Will the players be inspired for Harvs?
What impact will the occasion have on Banger who normally likes to shun the limelight?
Will the Crows ever be able to recruit someone with a cooler surname than Dangerfield?

Bizarre fact : St Kilda has not played Adelaide in a home & away game away from The Dome since 2004.

Look out for : Stephen Milne’s stopover in Adelaide. Lock up your daughters (he’s got a permanent wink thing going on). Rundle Mall will never be the same.

Result : Whilst Adelaide travel well, and have a chance of jumping us early (like last time) given emotions will be running high, I think the occasion is enough to get the Saints over the line by 10 points.

Footnote : Well done to Rhett Big-Balls who has announced his retirement after 134 games of good service to the Crows. Congratulations to Scott Stevens who has somehow made it to 100 games (it’s got me stuffed anyway).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back