Discussion StK v Adel

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny stuff!

I think Bock will play on Sir Nick.

Begley was not a bad player and Scott Stevens will tear you a new one and kick five this week!

Agree Gillneeds a wash but Moran is the pom you are looking for.

Perfect Sqizzy :thumbsu:

I had several giggles as I read that :D

I took the liberty of copying it unedited to the Adelaide board

I also took the liberty of copying Dandy Go's opening post to this thread (one page back). Link

i heard that 3rd level has been sold out.

Really ? I don't think so - it's not even a fully ticketed game (yet).

And - great preview, Squizz, made my day.

Last 10 meetings:

Code:
Year  Rd   Team   Score       vs   Team    Score     Gnd   Result Marg 
2007 15  St Kilda 11.16  (82) vs Adelaide 12. 8  (80) TD   [B]WON[/B]   2 
2006 12  St Kilda  8.12  (60) vs Adelaide 18.15 (123) TD   [COLOR="Red"]Lost 63[/COLOR] 
2005 1QF St Kilda 10. 5  (65) vs Adelaide  8. 9  (57) AAMI [B]WON[/B]   8 
2005  9  St Kilda  8. 9  (57) vs Adelaide 15.13 (103) TD   [COLOR="red"]Lost 46[/COLOR] 
2004 19  St Kilda 14. 7  (91) vs Adelaide 10. 8  (68) Aur  [B]WON[/B]  23 
2004  4  St Kilda 18. 5 (113) vs Adelaide 15. 8  (98) AAMI [B]WON[/B]  15 
2003 17  St Kilda 13. 8  (86) vs Adelaide 22.11 (143) AAMI [COLOR="red"]Lost 57[/COLOR] 
2003  2  St Kilda 15. 9  (99) vs Adelaide 13.13  (91) TD   [B]WON[/B]   8 
2002 15  St Kilda 12. 9  (81) vs Adelaide 15. 9  (99) AAMI [COLOR="red"]Lost 18 [/COLOR]
2001 15  St Kilda  9. 5  (59) vs Adelaide 23.18 (156) TD   [COLOR="red"]Lost 97 [/COLOR]

Win/Loss sequence at each ground:

Code:
Gnd  Pl W L D First Last WL Seq 
AAMI 12 3 9 0 1991 2005 WLLLLLLLLLWW 
MCG   1 0 1 0 1997 1997 L 
Mor   2 2 0 0 1991 1992 WW 
TD    6 2 4 0 2000 2007 LLWLLW 
Wav   5 2 2 1 1994 1999 dLWWL 
Aur   1 1 0 0 2004 2004 W

Begley was just coming good for us when we released him to return to Adelaide following the death of his best mate Josh Deegan in Bali.

And we have recently discovered why Fergus Watts never made it - he has no plantar fascia. Despite kicking a swag for Collegians this year, it's likely his career is over after this year, and he plays despite not being able to really run for any sustained period of time.

I'm bullish about this game. I think X Clarke in for Milne, and maybe McEvoy in for C Gardiner, but no other changes required.

I can't follow (nor stomach) your comments on X.

Bit more respect warranted for a 100 game player.

Played 18 games last year and is still one of our best tacklers.

Had the last three games at Casey and performed well (didn't even break down once! :rolleyes:).

Rarely doesn't have an impact on games, and locks the ball into the F50 which is a problem area for us.

Shouldn't have played that final against Melbourne, but we went in with a half dozen injured players. X hardly lacks courage as he showed that night (maybe a problem given his frame).

Do you think Burkey just hands his jumper to anyone? Maybe he just licked his finger, held it up to the wind and said "oh s**t X will do for now".

:confused:
Mate, how many times has he come back from a Hammy after a game or 2 or 3 @ Casey, only to break down mid match and leave us 1 player short? AFL is a much different pace to VFL, that's why he gets through those games.

At round 21, he has only 5 afl games under his belt this season, and is far too much of a risk. Send him to Germany for all i care, i love the kid, but he is a massive risk.

Mate, how many times has he come back from a Hammy after a game or 2 or 3 @ Casey, only to break down mid match and leave us 1 player short?

The grand total of ... ... ... ... zero!!!

The club has hardly played him at Casey until the last 3 weeks, so this is a completely different preparation than in the past.

He has been rushed into the Saints side on a number of occasions - probably before he was tickety-boo.

Definitely past of the best 22, and in my view would be close to top 10.

If you write off every player who has a bad one through injury, well there's Goose, Hayes, Goddard, Baker, and Ball all out the door (Harvs is probably struggling under that logic too).

But the proof will be in the pudding when X inevitably returns, as he should have no excuses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to be careful with this game.... last year when st kilda won...

Gehrig kicked four goals and hit the post 3 times.
Riewoldt had only one goal against his name.
Rutten & Bassett both went down during the game.
The win was only 2 points.
Luke Ball played and was in the best players.
Matt Maguire played as well (even though he gave a few free kicks away).

To think this game's in the pocket would be a mistake.

The grand total of ... ... ... ... zero!!!

The club has hardly played him at Casey until the last 3 weeks, so this is a completely different preparation than in the past.

He has been rushed into the Saints side on a number of occasions - probably before he was tickety-boo.

Definitely past of the best 22, and in my view would be close to top 10.

If you write off every player who has a bad one through injury, well there's Goose, Hayes, Goddard, Baker, and Ball all out the door (Harvs is probably struggling under that logic too).

But the proof will be in the pudding when X inevitably returns, as he should have no excuses.

He's made of glass Squiz. He is so scrawny but he goes hard and under the ball. I remember cringing when he would go for it. I felt like he would get injured every time he went near it. He needs to put some weight on. I think a few of them need to put some weight on over summer. But he definatley has ability. No doubt.

He's made of glass Squiz. He is so scrawny but he goes hard and under the ball. I remember cringing when he would go for it. I felt like he would get injured every time he went near it. He needs to put some weight on. I think a few of them need to put some weight on over summer. But he definatley has ability. No doubt.

Trouble with someone like X putting on weight, is that it puts more load on the legs which can cause problems with knee's etc as well as mobility and speed.
I think you have to have a large frame to carry large weight.
Xavier is 25 and I think his weight is what it is. ( Interestingly he is a fair bit heavier than Andrew McQualter , 2Kg lighter than Birss or Armitage ).

Have to be careful with this game.... last year when st kilda won...

Gehrig kicked four goals and hit the post 3 times.
Riewoldt had only one goal against his name.
Rutten & Bassett both went down during the game.
The win was only 2 points.
Luke Ball played and was in the best players.
Matt Maguire played as well (even though he gave a few free kicks away).

To think this game's in the pocket would be a mistake.

Riewoldt was far and away BOG despite his 1 goal. Koschitzke also had a big role to play. S Fisher & Hayes were very good, and Harvey played a blinder against his favourite enemies.

Adelaide also jumped out of the gates that day, and that probably won't happen.

The side for that match?

B S Gilbert S Fisher L Fisher
HB J Gram M Maguire J Blake
C L Montagna N Dal Santo S Baker
HF A Fiora N Riewoldt R Harvey
F S Milne F Gehrig X Clarke
Foll J Koschitzke L Ball L Hayes
Int M Rix A Thompson J Attard S Birss

Only half of this team played last week. They were:

S King - in our best players in the ruck
M Hudghton - the best spoiler in the league
A Schneider - four goals last week in his best game for the club
R Clarke - really good first up across HF
B Goddard - best kick on the team
S Dempster - really good player this season
C Gardiner - was ordinary v Freo
A McQualter - blanketed J Farmer out of the game
J Gwilt - at least he made up for a howler of a mistake with a magnificent run-down
C Jones - one of our best runners, with improved disposal
R Eddy - provides pressure in the forward line

Even with the loss of Milne, who only had 5 touches last year v Adelaide (admittedly for two goals), I still think we look pretty good.

Ideally he would pick and choose his moments of madness, particularly with his size, but going into the danger zone is also a problem for Kosi, Goose, Ball and Max (I have been tempted to shield my eyes with all these guys at times).

It's a danger game. Adelaide rarely perform poorly, you have to beat them on merit. They're well coached, well disciplined, and generally have an even spread of contributors amongst their team.

Having said that, I believe their best is not as good as ours, (and their worst is not as poor as ours either), we play well at the Dome, and have enough good players in form to win. But only with an even effort across the board; cameos (like the Collingwood game) won't be good enough.

Saints by 12 points.

Official Changes
In: X. Clarke Birss Allen
Out: No one as yet

Allen is a surprise but the other two are some very good ins. I assume if Allen plays it'll be at the expense of Chuckles whilst X man and Birssy (the man needs a nickname btw, any suggestions?) in for Milney and maybe Eddy.

I'm liking the Birsswagon. Maybe Lucky instead of Luckless, for an ironically witty twist?

I have seriously been sitting here for 15 minutes trying to think of a word that sounds like Birss. The closest I have got with Burst, but it's gonna be nigh impossible to make a nickname out of that without some sort of homoerotic undertones. Maybe come seasons end Birss can take the number 9 and become the Shane-Train?

More on topic though, it'd be funny if after missing out so many times and Saints fans demanding his call up for months Birss finally gets called up and has an absolute shocker. I say funny, I mean embarrassing and deeply upsetting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back