Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

isnt there an argument that you could have won the 2020 prelim with Howard still in your side?
Howard wouldn’t had made a difference. Hinkley didn’t rate him as a defender, likely would had been playing forward anyway. So even if we had Howard he likely wouldn’t had been playing anyway. And if he did play in defence your talls would had gave him a bath anyway

What would you do if you were Ratten to improve the effort, confidence and unity of the playing group as it appears that they aren't playing for each other.

Given that StKilda have been belted a few times this year, if I followed St Kilda I'd love for Ratten to have one training session this week with plenty of high intensity contact drills to really reiterate team expectations.
I'd follow up that training session with a BBQ and some beers as a team bonding session for which the players can have an open and honest discussion about team performance.
It's an old-school mode of thought I know but I think that most coaches are too scared of what the media would think if they went down such a path.

Not good enough to cost pick 12, 18, and a third rounder (with Ryder included).

give it up

you sound like David ******* King and the Carlisle trade "why didn't they just give up pick 5 for Gresham" s**t

The Power traded young swingman Dougal Howard, veteran ruckman Paddy Ryder, Pick 10 and a future fourth-round selection to the Saints in exchange for Picks 12, 18 and a future third-round pick.

What would you do if you were Ratten to improve the effort, confidence and unity of the playing group as it appears that they aren't playing for each other.

Given that StKilda have been belted a few times this year, if I followed St Kilda I'd love for Ratten to have one training session this week with plenty of high intensity contact drills to really reiterate team expectations.
I'd follow up that training session with a BBQ and some beers as a team bonding session for which the players can have an open and honest discussion about team performance.
It's an old-school mode of thought I know but I think that most coaches are too scared of what the media would think if they went down such a path.
If I was Ratten I would probably start by not publicly stating that players are going to be picked regardless of form.

If I was a saints fan I would want Ratten to make a strong stance in the media, wouldn’t mind him calling out the leaders, hell even name a couple of players that you thought were terrible. Then drop Hill and others who are underperforming.

St Kilda's list has been massively overrated. They have far too many players you'd rank from "good I guess" to "plodder", no star power in the midfield, and very few consistent role players you can bank on each week to do their job.

Why the hell did they recruit the following players: Hannebery, Frawley, McKernan, Wood, Hunter and Kent?

How are Jack Lonie, Jarryn Geary and Dan McKenzie getting games this year? This is McKenzie's 7th season and he's played 54 games, surely that's long enough to make the call he isn't good enough, why is he even on the list? Lonie 7 seasons. Dunstan 8 seasons and has played twice the last two years.

That's 10 players who are basically dead wood on the list and offering nothing now or in the future. List cloggers. Those are the worst kind of players to have.

That's not even touching on underperforming but probably quality players, or guys like Clavarino who is in his 4th season without playing a single game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You needed to go to the draft, you needed to rebuild. You could had gotten Georgiades if you kept pick 18.

This just ain't right, Saints butcher there picks and would not have selected Georgiadas. They've had tonnes of picks over the years, hardly any still playing let alone on their lists. This is why bulldogs and port are good and saints aren't. I would trust that recruiting dept at all. Max King is good? Yeah that is about their fourth attempt at replacing Riewoldt

This just ain't right, Saints butcher there picks and would not have selected Georgiadas. They've had tonnes of picks over the years, hardly any still playing let alone on their lists. This is why bulldogs and port are good and saints aren't. I would trust that recruiting dept at all. Max King is good? Yeah that is about their fourth attempt at replacing Riewoldt
We prefer to draft players who've never played the game, or had no access to elite pathways.

gameplan doesn't work, the pressure at the ball doesn't work, teams have moved the ball back and around the pressure zone, overlap players, and free men at the back and side of the contest eat us alive, how many times did Dogs players handball receive and kick out of the pressure zone. Its why Essendon opened us up so easily.

Our backs are under pressure constantly and Frawley isn't the one to fix it, Howard and Wilke have been decent despite the barrage.

King Membrey and 3 smalls, not working, didn't work last year, except we got a lot of ball out the back, teams sit a man behind the play, and now that's dried up. King not leading has to be to instruction, but again long bomb to King and the smalls has been counted. 3 smalls haven't fired all year, not one of them.

I think we got ahead of ourselves a bit, but injuries haven't helped, but it's the non-effort that's the most disappointing, average losing margin of 61 points this year I'm lead to believe.

we still have a lot of work to do with this list, but I don't think that's much of a surprise. the age stat is misleading

9 over 28
Frawley, Mckernan, and Hunter all brought in as needed depth this year, without Marshall and Ryder missing chunks of games, would barely have been needed
Roberton hasn't played in 3 years and has retired and it'll be Geary's last
that leaves Ryder, Carlisle, and Hannaberry, I cant see Ryder hanging around for this s**t next year, Carlisle's back is stuffed and won't play next year and Hannaberry needs to give the money back and * off.

then we have 5 27 y.o's 2 in Kent and Wood won't be here next year either.

so we have a few years of decent enough players to build around.

St Kilda's list has been massively overrated. They have far too many players you'd rank from "good I guess" to "plodder", no star power in the midfield, and very few consistent role players you can bank on each week to do their job.

Why the hell did they recruit the following players: Hannebery, Frawley, McKernan, Wood, Hunter and Kent?

How are Jack Lonie, Jarryn Geary and Dan McKenzie getting games this year? This is McKenzie's 7th season and he's played 54 games, surely that's long enough to make the call he isn't good enough, why is he even on the list? Lonie 7 seasons. Dunstan 8 seasons and has played twice the last two years.

That's 10 players who are basically dead wood on the list and offering nothing now or in the future. List cloggers. Those are the worst kind of players to have.

That's not even touching on underperforming but probably quality players, or guys like Clavarino who is in his 4th season without playing a single game

we ask the same questions and the only answers we have is, is we dunno, Lonie has been decent, he's undersized for AFL, struggling this year, but so are Butler and Higgins for the reason I've said above.
Geary is our Captain and whether or not you rate him, our captain is player voted. Dan McK had photos of Richo and scored a 3or4 year extension for we don't know what reasons.

it's hard to defend this club and I'm not really trying cos well I'm sick of it, but we're not as bad as it seems. the list has been turned over at least twice in 5 years, we are a hell of a lot better than we were. our rebuild got screwed by the expansion sides, then Essendon and Freo shitting the bed and we've drafted poorly and failed to develop our own enough. the recent trading wasn't going all out for a cup, it was trying to rectify a horrid list and age profile.

I'm glad we hit a record membership this year cos the girls in membership are going to have a bloody tough time of it next year.

You needed to go to the draft, you needed to rebuild. You could had gotten Georgiades if you kept pick 18.

They hit the draft hard from 2013-2018. Ten picks inside the top 22 in those years and another six between 23-41. And people gave them hell for going to draft heavy. Now people are criticising them for trading hard and skipping the draft for one and a half years. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t. I think they need to hit the draft hard again the next few years now though.

A couple of missed draft choices has been their biggest killer. Passing on Petracca who was the consensus number one pick and is now playing at an AA level to choose McCartin who is already out of the league has hurt.

I think their core is decent and they can get back on the right track relatively quickly. Just have too many list cloggers at the moment.

They hit the draft hard from 2013-2018. Ten picks inside the top 22 in those years and another six between 23-41. And people gave them hell for going to draft heavy. Now people are criticising them for trading hard and skipping the draft for one and a half years. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t. I think they need to hit the draft hard again the next few years now though.

A couple of missed draft choices has been their biggest killer. Passing on Petracca who was the consensus number one pick and is now playing at an AA level to choose McCartin who is already out of the league has hurt.

I think their core is decent and they can get back on the right track relatively quickly. Just have too many list cloggers at the moment.
Failed rebuilds are hard for supporters.

gameplan doesn't work, the pressure at the ball doesn't work, teams have moved the ball back and around the pressure zone, overlap players, and free men at the back and side of the contest eat us alive, how many times did Dogs players handball receive and kick out of the pressure zone. Its why Essendon opened us up so easily.

Our backs are under pressure constantly and Frawley isn't the one to fix it, Howard and Wilke have been decent despite the barrage.

King Membrey and 3 smalls, not working, didn't work last year, except we got a lot of ball out the back, teams sit a man behind the play, and now that's dried up. King not leading has to be to instruction, but again long bomb to King and the smalls has been counted. 3 smalls haven't fired all year, not one of them.

I think we got ahead of ourselves a bit, but injuries haven't helped, but it's the non-effort that's the most disappointing, average losing margin of 61 points this year I'm lead to believe.

we still have a lot of work to do with this list, but I don't think that's much of a surprise. the age stat is misleading

9 over 28
Frawley, Mckernan, and Hunter all brought in as needed depth this year, without Marshall and Ryder missing chunks of games, would barely have been needed
Roberton hasn't played in 3 years and has retired and it'll be Geary's last
that leaves Ryder, Carlisle, and Hannaberry, I cant see Ryder hanging around for this sh*t next year, Carlisle's back is stuffed and won't play next year and Hannaberry needs to give the money back and fu** off.

then we have 5 27 y.o's 2 in Kent and Wood won't be here next year either.

so we have a few years of decent enough players to build around.

we ask the same questions and the only answers we have is, is we dunno, Lonie has been decent, he's undersized for AFL, struggling this year, but so are Butler and Higgins for the reason I've said above.
Geary is our Captain and whether or not you rate him, our captain is player voted. Dan McK had photos of Richo and scored a 3or4 year extension for we don't know what reasons.

it's hard to defend this club and I'm not really trying cos well I'm sick of it, but we're not as bad as it seems. the list has been turned over at least twice in 5 years, we are a hell of a lot better than we were. our rebuild got screwed by the expansion sides, then Essendon and Freo shitting the bed and we've drafted poorly and failed to develop our own enough. the recent trading wasn't going all out for a cup, it was trying to rectify a horrid list and age profile.

I'm glad we hit a record membership this year cos the girls in membership are going to have a bloody tough time of it next year.
Bang on.
Us supporters cop a lot of s**t but largely we were/are against some of the terrible decisions the club has made.

They'll be OK. They're missing some quality at the moment. You throw Billings, Howard and King into their team, and suddenly they're a lot better. Most teams would struggle with three of their best players out. Even Brisbane would struggle to win matches if they suddenly lost Neale, Gardiner and Rayner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back