Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to think the same as this but then Richmond made finals three years in a row, losing all three finals in that time before winning 3 flags in 4 years so it’s not all doom and gloom to be in the bottom part of the 8 for a few years. You never know how things can turn out.

They did go to 13th in 2016 before rising, and from all the past dynasties, it would seem that the big rise must be top 4, stay there, get challenged but win out.

They still have a good core of players, I would trade hill, he still has currency, he hasn't fitted in at all though, should get a first rounder.
Billings get compo for through free agency should be a first rounder back.
Ross - should get a 2nd round pick
Butler- he and Higgins don't work, should get a 2nd rounder.
They could have three picks in the top 20, turn their list over fast like a Port Adelaide, as they have king, membrey, Steele, Marshall, Jones, Howard, Clark, crouch and Coffield they can build around and retire hanneberry, Carlisle, Frawley, Geary McKernan

st kilda has worked very well to get into the middle of the table from the bottom but they are now in a glut of team vying for the 7, 8th spot and competitoion is just too much and st kilda's list isn't that good to be in the 8 consistently.

In a bad season they will fall out of 8 only to scrape in the next season. This yoyoing profile will continue until the team gets old and just fall away completely to be back to the bottom.

They still have a good core of players, I would trade hill, he still has currency, he hasn't fitted in at all though, should get a first rounder.
They could have three picks in the top 20, turn their list over fast like a Port Adelaide, as they have king, membrey, Steele, Marshall, Jones, Howard, Clark, crouch and Coffield they can build around and retire hanneberry, Carlisle, Frawley, Geary McKernan

A few of us don't mind the idea of trading Billings and Ross but realistically Dunstan is the one who's probably on the way out. With his recent good form, we might get lucky and get a second-round pick.

Butler was pretty good on the weekend (20 touches and 2 goals) he's actually been alright for a while but he hasn't been finishing his work like last year. Maybe down on confidence.

We have a couple of decent academy players in Owens and Windhager that we should get priority access too along with a top 10 draft pick.

Some of our late speculative draft picks look to be quite promising youngsters as well, Brynes, Connelly, and Highmore.

Not all doom and gloom

I think billings is staying as i just read his camp has started the talks with the club, didn't hill just arrived at saints?

We shouldn't get rid of Hill, since the bye he's been good.

In a good team, he will be a key ingredient. In a struggling team, he struggles.

I'm not sure that's best for either billings or the saints, I think he needs a fresh start and saints need another first rounder.
Interesting one hill, I think he's a quality player, he just hasn't fitted in at all in the way the saints play, it's being 2 years and in my opinion it's also not working for hill or the saints. The easy thing for the saints to do is nothing, and challenge between 5th and 14th for the next couple of years or be aggressive like port did and north did last year

I think billings is staying as i just read his camp has started the talks with the club, didn't hill just arrived at saints?

I'm not sure that's best for either billings or the saints, I think he needs a fresh start and saints need another first rounder.
Interesting one hill, I think he's a quality player, he just hasn't fitted in at all in the way the saints play, it's being 2 years and in my opinion it's also not working for hill or the saints. The easy thing for the saints to do is nothing, and challenge between 5th and 14th for the next couple of years or be aggressive like port did and north did last year

I'm not sure if you have been watching us much but Hill's form (aside from a handful of uncharacteristic skill errors) has been good for at least 5 weeks now.

Well, if you are saints supporter, you'd rather not have to do a 'north' thing.

the north stalinist purge was a result of nearly 20 years of poor drafting and middling finishes......due to dire financial circumstances that did not allow for a total rebuild.

2020 was the perfect opporutnity to bottom out whilst doing a grouds up rebuild under the cover of the covid at minimal scrutiny other than Kornes.....

But billings is someone i would really like to have at north, 5 x 550k like polec but why all the sudden he chose to stay....

But billings is someone i would really like to have at north, 5 x 550k like polec but why all the sudden he chose to stay....

If he's leaving for a long term contract he'll want a lot more than $550k per year. I think the best thing for him to do would be to sign with St Kilda for $500k for one year and try to drive his value up with a more impactful 2022 season. At his best Billings is a 23 disposal, 1 goal, 1 goal assist per game high half forward. He should be entering his prime years now and started 2021 well but has been hampered by injury after the first two months.

He would want his next long term contract to be around the $650-$700k mark, but I don't see anyone offering him that on current form.

This is not a bad call. Would retain Hill but Billings and Ross could be better value to Saints as draft picks. Retirements looks right - probably hold Frawley if his body is OK.

I'm feeling bullish re our future with young players coming on and a number of players hitting their prime. Only real worry is replacing Paddy Ryder, and maybe securing a CHB, other than that we're looking good. Will hopefully trade Ross and Billings this year to get us more picks in the 20s. Young players like Byrnes and Leo Conolly are looking really good with only a handful of games under their belt. A raft of strong players to come back next year: Ben Paton is a fantastic player, Gresham can rotate 50/50 fwd mid. Most of all Max King looks like a once in a generation player, he's just gonna get better. Absolutely tore the weagles apart last weekend. Hill has hit form and incredibly damaging with ball in hand (save the odd brain fade in the last quarter vs port).

Hit the draft with pick 8 ish (some very strong midfielders available) and 3 picks in the mid to late 20s. Ratts is great.

Not something I could say during the richo era. Those were some dark days

If he's leaving for a long term contract he'll want a lot more than $550k per year. I think the best thing for him to do would be to sign with St Kilda for $500k for one year and try to drive his value up with a more impactful 2022 season. At his best Billings is a 23 disposal, 1 goal, 1 goal assist per game high half forward. He should be entering his prime years now and started 2021 well but has been hampered by injury after the first two months.

He would want his next long term contract to be around the $650-$700k mark, but I don't see anyone offering him that on current form.

no. Of years is more important, we are offering 5, or were in this case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

List is trash.

Marshall, King amd Steele are good but who else. Bad picks with coffield and Clarke and then bad list management trading in blokes on good coin

List is trash.

Marshall, King amd Steele are good but who else. Bad picks with coffield and Clarke and then bad list management trading in blokes on good coin

One a final last season been decimated by injuries this season.

It happens.

List is trash.

Average list, but Marshall, King and Steele are key pieces with which to build around - tough to find an influential young ruckman, Max King has a long career ahead of him and Steele is the perfect hybrid mid to rebuild around.

The club needs to get both creative and ruthless in the next two off-seasons and overhaul things while Marshall and King are still young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back