Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

25 year old that is having his best year and yet still only averages 23 touches a game. He's good, he just not Cripps, Walsh, Cerra or the equivilent names from freo good.
Mate you are as delusional as they come. It's not about how many touches Gresh has, it's about what he does when he has it. Fact is he drives forward every possession, creates something out of nothing and is a player that offers serious x-factor and scoring threat. It's silly to compare him to Cripps (inside-mid), Walsh or Cerra. Anyone with a reasonable footy knowledge would agree Gresh is vital to our team success.

You're not winning many premierships with blokes like Membrey, Crouch, Hill, Zak Jones, Billings etc in your top 10. You're just making up the numbers. Again.

Could have said the same 18 months ago naming the likes of Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, McDonald etc

Oliver evolves himself from a HB first 'feeder' into a kick first, burst mid.
Viney gets fit and improves from 4.5 tackles a game across 2019/20 to 7 tackles a game in 2021
Brayshaw moves from an on baller to a wing/half back
McDonald goes from trade fodder that nobody wanted to premiership CHF.

Throw in great list management in Pickett, Jackson and Brown and there's ya flag.

By the end of next year we could be looking at Zak Jones as a great goal kicking HFF, Jack Steele as a Brownlow Medalist, Brad Crouch as a tackling machine and Tim Membrey as a vital swingman in a premiership side.

I'd think that out of anyone, it would be the Melbourne fans who know how quickly it can go from great (2018) to bad (2019/20) to great (2021) again.

If we're not a very good team then how would you rate Essendon? Regardless of how you rate us we are clearly a better team this year than them.
Oh Essendon are terrible, definitely St Kilda is a better team than them. But these games against Melbourne based middle tier clubs like St Kilda and Essendon can often throw up a curve ball result, hence why I said it was 50:50.

25 year old that is having his best year and yet still only averages 23 touches a game. He's good, he just not Cripps, Walsh, Cerra or the equivilent names from freo good.

You're not winning many premierships with blokes like Membrey, Crouch, Hill, Zak Jones, Billings etc in your top 10. You're just making up the numbers. Again.
Our top 10 based on the importance of position and consistency would be something like:

Steele
Marshall
King
Crouch
Sinclair
Gresh
Higgins
Wilkie
Ryder
Membrey

But it's not just about the top 10. Everyone knows it's the bottom 5-10 on every list that can be the difference on GF day.

Our bottom 10 would be as even as any team in the comp.

Not sure that's true. 2021 I would liken us to what a Freo will look like in 2023.
The preseason of 2021 many didn’t have Melb in the 8 let alone winning the flag. My point is hardly no one rated their list then they win a flag and now it’s full of champions so you can talk all the rubbish you like but no one really knows.

Could have said the same 18 months ago naming the likes of Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, McDonald etc

Oliver evolves himself from a HB first 'feeder' into a kick first, burst mid.
Viney gets fit and improves from 4.5 tackles a game across 2019/20 to 7 tackles a game in 2021
Brayshaw moves from an on baller to a wing/half back
McDonald goes from trade fodder that nobody wanted to premiership CHF.

Throw in great list management in Pickett, Jackson and Brown and there's ya flag.

By the end of next year we could be looking at Zak Jones as a great goal kicking HFF, Jack Steele as a Brownlow Medalist, Brad Crouch as a tackling machine and Tim Membrey as a vital swingman in a premiership side.

I'd think that out of anyone, it would be the Melbourne fans who know how quickly it can go from great (2018) to bad (2019/20) to great (2021) again.
They forget how s**t Melbourne were for so long and then it clicked.

The preseason of 2021 many didn’t have Melb in the 8 let alone winning the flag. My point is hardly no one rated their list then they win a flag and now it’s full of champions so you can talk all the rubbish you like but no one really knows.
The reason why no one rated Melbourne was because the standard of their players besides their superstars was sub par and just look at how much went for Melbourne from 2020 - 2021

Recruited:
Brown and Bowey

Developed:
Jackson, Pickett, Petty, Jordon, Rivers, Fritsch etc to exceptional levels, above what they should have been

An AA for them in 2021 was Lever who was plagued with injury before 2021

On top of this they adopted a heavily system based defense style that's near unbreakable.

This alongside having some of the best assistants in the game currently like Yze and Williams.

Do you really expect the same things to happen with St. Kilda? Not saying it's impossible but a lot needed to go right for them.

How many players in the Melbourne team that got a premiership medal could you say got worse from 2020 to 2021

Edit: Whoops didn't realise someone has posted almost exactly what I said but I'll keep it here.

Brayshaw looks likely to be an All-Australian this year; Crouch has never done that. If Brayshaw hasn't overtaken him already I think most people will agree he has by the end of the year.
Despite Fyfe being absent in 2022 he's still played more games than Ryder has over the last three, I think it's fair to include Fyfe if we include Ryder because the latter hasn't shown to be durable for a long time.

Zac Jones has played two games this year, and he was garbage in one of them, so a bit unfair to say he's been better than Serong at the moment.

Will be interesting to see how the Saints go without Steele. Freo have done very well without Fyfe.
Dude you are completely missing the point.

The point is a midfield is the sum of all parts.

Ryder/Marshall - Darcy/Meek
Steele - Fyfe
Brayshaw - Crouch
Serong - Gresham
Mundy - Ross
Brodie - Jones

I wouldn't be saying Freo's midfield is better.

Also Fyfe hasn't played a single game This year. Ryder has at least played 5 and only missed 2 due to suspension.

Dude you are completely missing the point.

The point is a midfield is the sum of all parts.
I'm not missing anything.
The point is that Fremantle's midfield is better than Saint Kildas.

Also Fyfe hasn't played a single game This year. Ryder has at least played 5 and only missed 2 due to suspension.
Fyfe has missed the start of the season, big deal.
Ryder is 34 years old and missed large chunks of the season the last two years. He is not durable and he is also very old.

Ok.... i'll slow it down for you.

Brisbanes window is wide open this year and next, St Kildas is not. If Brisbane dont jag one in the next 2 years then yes they will need to amke some calls on those players.

And yes i agree they are more reliant on older player, but they are and have been a significantly better side than St Kilda. They are contending, St Kilda are presently attending.
So why is Brisbane's wide open the next 2 years and saints isn't? generally curious considering were both lists sit.

Are Brisbane a genuine threat or are they just another Port Adelaide?

The only team Brisbane have beaten that's top 8 this year is Sydney. They lost to Geelong and they've beaten up on all of Essendon, West Coast, North and Adelaide. with a game against middling Collingwood and GC to boot. Hardly a hard fixture to start

They, along with Port have consistently faltered in finals the last 3-4 years. So maybe that's just their ceiling, a very good H&A team and average finals team.

Saints obviously don't have the runs on the board, but at least are looking more trustworthy than we did previous years. We also won a final in 2020 with 70% of our team under the age of 25, so there's no reason we cant build on that experience.

So why is Brisbane's wide open the next 2 years and saints isn't? generally curious considering were both lists sit.

The only team Brisbane have beaten that's top 8 this year is Sydney. They lost to Geelong and they've beaten up on all of Essendon, West Coast, North and Adelaide. with a game against middling Collingwood and GC to boot. Hardly a hard fixture to start

They, along with Port have consistently faltered in finals the last 3-4 years. So maybe that's just their ceiling, a very good H&A team and average finals team.

Saints obviously don't have the runs on the board, but at least are looking more trustworthy than we did previous years. We also won a final in 2020 with 70% of our team under the age of 25, so there's no reason we cant build on that experience.

With St. Kilda you're looking a team that could potentially, one day, finish in the top 4. If you look at what they've done over the past few years, in the same period Brisbane have finished top 4 three years in a row, St Kilda have finished 1th, 6th and 10th.

So yes, maybe Brisbane is just a very good H&A team that's an average finals team, but that's still higher than what St. Kilda have consistently showed over the past three years. The leap from where Brisbane are at to being a genuine contender, is still smaller than for St. Kilda to make that leap.

Our performance in finals have been poor, but I think they've exactly reflected how good we were in those seasons. I don't think we've been the top 2 side in any of the past few years, and in each of the last three finals series we've lost to the eventual grans finalists every time.

I also think if we're fit heading into the finals, this is the strongest our team has been. Compared to how we finished the game against the Dogs last year, we hopefully will have Hipwood, Rayner, Answerth, McStay, Berry and Ah Chee back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There list is a lot better, as demonstrated by multiple top 4 finishes in prior years.

Your turn.

Why in the world would we trade a 24 year old Gresham? 🤣

If he is as average as is suggested we can't expect too much for him?

What a bizarre suggestion
I said he's very good, he's just not AA standard footballer based on exposed form. And at 25 you'd expected to have seen more if he was going to be.

Good a chance to be there on granny day as anyone besides Melbourne who you would have to lock in ATM

teams that are better than the sum of their parts have pinched quite a few flags over the years

Seem pretty hungry and giving solid consistent efforts

Saints v Dees is the 2nd most likely GF I think

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Because you're not a very good football team.. why else would I have labelled it 50:50?
We're not a good football team and on a level with Essendon? You clearly haven't been paying much attention this year. I'd label you completely clueless actually.

There list is a lot better, as demonstrated by multiple top 4 finishes in prior years.

Your turn.

You mean like the Dees multiple top 4 finishes in prior years? You know the pattern you need to become a good team?

2021 1st Premiers
2020 9th
2019 17th
2018 5th
2017 9th
2016 11th
2015 13th

Things can change quickly. Dees have shown that.

About the only constant is that after a new flag is won that some of its supporters start posting why other clubs cannot do what their club has just done.

GWS is a case study that pure talent alone is not the only determinant on who wins a Premiership.

PS, And yes Lions are a very good team at present.

Last edited:
You mean like the Dees multiple top 4 finishes in prior years? You know the pattern you need to become a good team?

2021 1st Premiers
2020 9th
2019 17th
2018 5th
2017 9th
2016 11th
2015 13th

Things can change quickly. Dees have shown that.

About the only constant is that after a new flag is won that some of its supporters start posting why other clubs cannot do what their club has just done.

GWS is a case study that pure talent alone is not the only determinant on who wins a Premiership.

PS, And yes Lions are a very good team at present.
So YoY improvement 6 out of 7 years. Saints are all over the shop

So YoY improvement 6 out of 7 years. Saints are all over the shop

Yes just likes the Dees.

Luckily for you, and all Dees supporters, you were wildly wrong way back in June 2020.

Back they you had them as "absolute rabble".

1652782720639.png

As I said, things can and do change quickly in the AFL.

From an absolute rabble to premiers in just over a year!

4 of the Saints next 5 games are night games. It will be nice to get some prime time

Unfortunately the Essendon game on June 17 is the only one in Melbourne (Bris, Sydney, Adelaide) after we've already travelled to Perth, Sydney, Gold Coast and Cairns this season

Later in the season we travel to Perth again. Plus Geelong

8 interstate trips plus Geelong (inc Cairns which we sold).

Double ups against Brisbane, Fremantle, Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney

Life's tough but so are the Saints this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back