Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a public forum mate. Take it to your board if you don’t like it.

Personally I think the Saints are pretty close. Even if they have a down year next year it’s not the end of the world. Steele, Marshall, King, Gresham, Clark, Coffield, Long, Higgins, Butler. It’s a pretty good core group. Ratten is the man for sure. Need another two young midfielders plus a key defender. I’d be getting Hannebery and Hill off your books to free up some cash. Jones looks ok at times.

If all goes right they should be top 4-6 from 24 onwards.
I'm liking the positivity. Hannebery's salary was renegotiated to be cheaper this season which is lucky. Jones was great in patches this year, just missed too many games through injury, as did Marshall, Clark and Gresh (missed the whole year effectively).

I'm liking the positivity. Hannebery's salary was renegotiated to be cheaper this season which is lucky. Jones was great in patches this year, just missed too many games through injury, as did Marshall, Clark and Gresh (missed the whole year effectively).
Hannebery would be worth 250k max. Given his ability to get on the park. That’s absolutely generous.

I think StKilda and Essendon’s lists are in similar spots. No real upcoming retirements but not as much developing youth as the rebuilding sides.

Positives for Essendon are that Perkins, Cox and Reid are younger than the Saints high draft picks so should in theory have a higher ceiling.

Although Essendon don’t have a Max King level talent to build a forward line around so Saints have a clear leg up there.

Both sides seem to be pretty handy at finding mature age players to come in and be quality contributors.

Hopefully both sides can climb above mid table and really contend over the next 3-4 years.

Delisting Dunstan is a bit of a head scratcher. He is limited in his game but at a minimum would be decent backup with injury. I assume he probably wanted out anyway given he’s on the outer.

We aren't delisting him, he has asked to be traded and we should be able to get at least a 2nd rounder for him, he's a good solid inside midfielder but he isn't in our best 22 when we have a full strength line up. He will get more opportunities at another club, he's from SA so maybe the Crows or Port will look at taking him, he'd definitely be in the best 22 for the Crows with their current midfield.

We aren't delisting him, he has asked to be traded and we should be able to get at least a 2nd rounder for him, he's a good solid inside midfielder but he isn't in our best 22 when we have a full strength line up. He will get more opportunities at another club, he's from SA so maybe the Crows or Port will look at taking him, he'd definitely be in the best 22 for the Crows with their current midfield.
He's an unrestricted Free Agent. He hasn't asked to be traded because he can go wherever he wants. Also unlikely we would get a 2nd round compo pick for him.

A second rounder for Dunstan...exactly how drunk would a side be to hand over that currency.

It's free agency compensation so the club wouldn't have to hand over anything.

A 3rd round pick is probably more likely

A 3rd rounder is overs even in FA. Take it and flipping run!

It's cute that until this year more people would have rated St Kilda a better team then Melbourne. Now as the year has panned the way it has, a dee supporter is an expert on star power. Yes we need another A grade mid to support Steele but other then that we are fine, defence and forward are no concern at all, lot of quality at either end and both ends will get better and better as the newer talent plays more games together.

Age profile is fine. Not a single player would be missed over the age of 27 if they all moved on with Ryder the exception.
Really?

Outside of Melbourne's forward line (and even that is better than a lot of others), they've got almost a perfect list.

These situations, whilst opinion, I don't think would be too inaccurate before the commencement of the 2021 season.

May and Lever are the best defensive duo in the competition.
Max Gawn is the best ruckman in the competition.
Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca are amongst the best midfield duos in the competition.
Langdon is one of the best wings in the competition.
Kozzy Pickett is the most exciting small forward in the competition.

I look at the St Kilda list and I can't really make the same observations anywhere.

Jack Steele is a fantastic player but at best he's the 6th or 7th best player in the competition.
Max King has a world of potential and will likely be a star but at times was bronx'd by his own fans this year.
Dougal Howard isn't a top 5 KPD in the league.
The list has been smashed by unfortunate contract situations for years now with Hannerbury, Hill and Carlisle.

Even at the end of last year after we lost our elimination final against the Saints, I seriously doubt many rated the St Kilda list above the Dogs list.

If Melbourne win the flag pressure will mount on the saints
Gotta feeling they will win one in the next 1-5 years
4 big drought breakers in the last 15 years possibly 5 by the end of this week
Sydney 2005 72 years
Geelong 2007 44 years
Western bulldogs 2016 62 years
Richmond 2017 37 years
*Melbourne 2021 57 years
History will say the saints are next

Average of 72,44,62,37,57 = 54.4 years
1966-2020 should of broken the drought
But I reckon it will happen in the 2020s if history repeats it self

Last edited:
A second rounder for Dunstan...exactly how drunk would a side be to hand over that currency.

He got 11 Brownlow votes last night, our 2nd highest vote getter behind Steele, so that might improve his trade value.

Really?

Outside of Melbourne's forward line (and even that is better than a lot of others), they've got almost a perfect list.

These situations, whilst opinion, I don't think would be too inaccurate before the commencement of the 2021 season.

May and Lever are the best defensive duo in the competition.
Max Gawn is the best ruckman in the competition.
Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca are amongst the best midfield duos in the competition.
Langdon is one of the best wings in the competition.
Kozzy Pickett is the most exciting small forward in the competition.

I look at the St Kilda list and I can't really make the same observations anywhere.

Jack Steele is a fantastic player but at best he's the 6th or 7th best player in the competition.
Max King has a world of potential and will likely be a star but at times was bronx'd by his own fans this year.
Dougal Howard isn't a top 5 KPD in the league.
The list has been smashed by unfortunate contract situations for years now with Hannerbury, Hill and Carlisle.

Even at the end of last year after we lost our elimination final against the Saints, I seriously doubt many rated the St Kilda list above the Dogs list.

Dude, seriously, you hit the nail on the head when you said opinion. Steele aside i see a number of players around the 50 game mark and less who will step up and find a higher ceiling when the team clicks and is better prepared. Might take another season where even if we make the eight or even four it may be to early.

Dougal isn't top 10 at our club.....

I know you are all warm and fuzzy after robbing the lions of a win and making a GF but this should be where the fairy tale ends. You have a good midfield and Naughton up forward while having a mediocre defence and no ruck. Melbourne as you rightly pointed out has every line covered. It's well and truly theirs to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude, seriously, you hit the nail on the head when you said opinion. Steele aside i see a number of players around the 50 game mark and less who will step up and find a higher ceiling when the team clicks and is better prepared. Might take another season where even if we make the eight or even four it may be to early.

I know you are all warm and fuzzy after robbing the lions of a win and making a GF but this should be where the fairy tale ends. You have a good midfield and Naughton up forward while having a mediocre defence and no ruck. Melbourne as you rightly pointed out has every line covered. It's well and truly theirs to lose.
Why are you lashing out, I don't think I was too offensive in what I was writing?

I won't bother having a discussion with somebody that just wants to get dirty. You're the one that suggested that most would have said that Saints had a better list than Melbourne. Are you saying that their list has gone from below the Saints to "having every line covered" in the space of a season? Everybody knows they underachieved for years (as I believe we did as well) but their list on paper has been ahead of the Saints for 4-5 years.

I won't bother get into the discussion of the Dogs, I know you'll spit some umpire conspiracy hurdur but I will say that a team with a "good midfield and Naughton up forward" doesn't get you to a Grand Final.

It would suck being an STK fan. I am still hungry and I have seen three (maybe due to our s**t record as I am 30 years old). Only 1 in your history though... that would suck.

Mediocre defence? 2021 AA (Dale), 2020 AA (Daniel) with a very good key defender in Keath, Williams is a very good player and Duryea has been outstanding this year.

Nah mate.

I didn't say we did rip Freo off? Said the opposite in fact.

I steered well clear of the Ross threads over the years, but it seems like a strange process to make it a tit for tat by laying the boots into Hill at every opportunity in response to an entirely different topic. Take the Ross Lyon stuff to a Ross Lyon thread if there were unreasonable posts about it from Saints fans, rather than using it as motivation for a barrage of constant condemnation of Hill.

The Hill trade was high and his salary is high. We all know that and I think most Saints fans are pretty reasonable about that. He played reasonable footy this year and most people seem to be moving on. There's no point dredging it up every week with 'verbal slaughter'.
I was being sarcastic on that.

Freo.... well Peter Francis Bell demanded a couple of 1st rounder including your teams pick 6. Again, Happy for what freo got in the end for Brad Hill and a 2020 3rd rounder.

As far as the Ross Lyon threads were concerned, I think there was more venom and anger when it came to threads towards Ross Lyon on the main board, some were even ban worthy on my opinion too.

It's cute that until this year more people would have rated St Kilda a better team then Melbourne.
Not quite sure about that. Prior to last season where St Kilda only finished one game higher than Melbourne, Saints list hadn’t shown much at all.

If Melbourne win the flag pressure will mount on the saints
Gotta feeling they will win one in the next 1-5 years
4 big drought breakers in the last 15 years possibly 5 by the end of this week
Sydney 2005 72 years
Geelong 2007 44 years
Western bulldogs 2016 62 years
Richmond 2017 37 years
*Melbourne 2021 57 years
History will say the saints are next

Average of 72,44,62,37,57 = 54.4 years
1966-2020 should of broken the drought
But I reckon it will happen in the 2020s if history repeats it self
Geez I hope you are right!

He got 11 Brownlow votes last night, our 2nd highest vote getter behind Steele, so that might improve his trade value.

Again, he's an unrestricted free agent and will not be traded. If another team signs him it will likely be on a pretty low salary and we will receive something along the lines of a 4th round draft pick as compensation. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up at Gold Coast on a 2 year contract at $200k per year.

Every season a team jumps from outside the 8 into the top 4 and I think St Kilda are best poised to be that side in 2022. They'd want Hunter Clark or Jade Gresham to take that next step and become 25 touch mids who can move the ball forward (though I prefer Gresh forward as I see him as one of the worst kicks going around)

Every season a team jumps from outside the 8 into the top 4 and I think St Kilda are best poised to be that side in 2022. They'd want Hunter Clark or Jade Gresham to take that next step and become 25 touch mids who can move the ball forward (though I prefer Gresh forward as I see him as one of the worst kicks going around)
Agree regarding Gresh. Would rather he play 70-30 Fwd-Mid. He’s proven early in his career he’s can be a very dangerous forward.

Not sure about the list… I reckon Jade Gresham is a future star if he can stay fit. A faster and more agile version of Lachie Neale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back