Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Romeoh1

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't disagree. St Kilda have been really good.

I was just responding to the comment regarding the Freo win looking better each week. The Freo that played in R2 is a different Freo to the one that played last night.
Saints had several very good players out that day -freo have been good all year- both teams are improving all the time. Saints win over there was very good.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Their ball movement in the first quarter against GWS was contender quality.

Seemed to get found out a bit by the end of the first quarter, to be fair.

But this could be the best Saints team we have seen in a decade imo.

I hope so, for the comp's sake. An up and about St Kilda adds something to the place.
We were getting completely smashed in that second qtr in contested footy which makes it hard to get anything right

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
TIL you have to be undefeated to not be considered a failure.

There's maybe 3 benchmark teams this season. But if you want to apply the "yeh but who have they beaten" argument, you could consider everyone as s**t.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's not that we consider them as s**t, it's that we logically hold off before we start declaring success.

It's called being realistic. The season is designed to be a season for a reason.

Sep 8, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's not that we consider them as s**t, it's that we logically hold off before we start declaring success.

It's called being realistic. The season is designed to be as long as it is for a reason.
No one has declared success. the post is about 'no mans land'. Melbourne havent beaten anyone above 11th, Brisbane havent beaten anyone above 10th. The point is you can only beat who you play but you declare beating other teams with a +ve win/loss isn't enough. If this post was about being a premiership contender in 2022, then you make a valid point.

Our percentage after round 6 last year was 67% and sitting 16th, its now 131% and 3rd/4th, it's the right direction.

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
No one has declared success. the post is about 'no mans land'. Melbourne havent beaten anyone above 11th, Brisbane havent beaten anyone above 10th. The point is you can only beat who you play but you declare beating other teams with a +ve win/loss isn't enough. If this post was about being a premiership contender in 2022, then you make a valid point.

Our percentage after round 6 last year was 67% and sitting 16th, its now 131% and 3rd/4th, it's the right direction.

I meant 'success' as in being completely out of their usual slippery slope for good.

Your point about Melbourne and Brisbane is moot in that no one is looking for reasons to see if they're out of a "dump" once and for all - we already know this is the case as they have a recent history of success to draw from. They are merely carrying on from that form until shock losses prove otherwise.

St Kilda, on the other hand, are the opposite. It has to have the scalps on the board to justify a call that they've finally moved on from their underlying issues, and so far they have not had the required litmus test to justify that call. Logic shows it's too early when viewing the teams they've played.

St Kilda, on the other hand, are the opposite. It has to have the scalps on the board to justify a call that they've finally moved on from their underlying issues, and so far they have not had the required litmus test to justify that call. Logic shows it's too early when viewing the teams they've played.
Next 4 games will tell us where St Kilda are at.

Port, Melbourne, Geelong and Crows in SA.

If my club wants to be contenders then we must win 3 of those games.

Sep 8, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
I meant 'success' as in being completely out of their usual slippery slope for good.

Your point about Melbourne and Brisbane is moot in that no one is looking for reasons to see if they're out of a "dump" once and for all - we already know this is the case as they have a recent history of success to draw from. They are merely carrying on from that form until shock losses prove otherwise.

Well we cant keep moving the goal posts, if using "recent" success (aka last year) the crows have beat 2nd and 5th from last year. Or saints beat lions and swans by 30 points each the last time they played, led geelong for pretty much 3 quarters to lose by 14, were ahead of port in the final quarter (all these games after the bye round last year). Just picking and choosing what applies and when from prior seasons is pretty irrelevant, hence saying you can only beat who you play

So basically the only way we can see if the saints have turned the corner is to beat the reigning premiers or to finish top 4 because you could always have a bad next game in the regular season and not be out of that slippery slope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
I always found the timing of this thread to be a bit strange.

If we were ever in no mans land it was probably that period between 2016-2019 where we consistently missed finals but finished mid-table. Thankfully during that crap period we made a few good moves:

1. The trade with Hawthorn when they needed a first for O'Meara that essentially got us Ben Long, Josh Battle and Hunter Clark for pick 10.
2. Landing King after we finished poorly in 2018.

When Ratten took over in 2020 I think he has helped us to move out of no mans land, aided by boosting the list with some good trading such as Crouch for free and Higgins for a second rounder, as well as the improvement of Jack Steele and more recently Jack Sinclair.

I guess the definition of no mans land is different for everyone, some North fans here have said that it's when you're good enough to make prelims but not win the flag. If that's the case then I guess Brisbane, Port and Geelong are all in no mans land.

Ultimately I think you want to be good enough to make the pointy end of the season, I hope that's coming for us again soon.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I guess it could be worse, we could be Essendon!
Imagine losing to Freo at home by 50 points 😂😂
Well...... To be honest..

If you wanna know how bad that freo loss was to Essendon at Docklands.....

Until 2022, Essendons last loss to freo at docklands was round 2 of 2010. David Mundy is the only guy left that played in 2010 and 2022 wins.

In between those 2010 and 2022, most of Essendons wins in docklands over freo were narrow wins.

2017 Essendon won by 17 points. 2019, Essendon won by 7 points
2020, Essendon won by 6 points, 2021, Essendon won by 8 points. It was way overdue

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Wouldn’t have thought he had cult status, but he did come 3rd in the B&F last year, was top 10 in the Coleman two years prior and also had a season of 44 goals from just 17 games, so he can football a bit.
Fair enough. Pity Hayes done his knee. Its a shame though.

Your team has given Asylum to a few south Australian players recently lol

Back