Stkilda Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

These moves should improve the team in theory and could see them making the 8 with overall improvement. It doesn't look like a premiership list yet, because to me it lacks the genuine star power that you need at some level, but its a beginning and they have time to add/develop that.

I expect they will be a very competitive side in 2020, take a few big scalps, cause a few upsets and push for finals, but might not be good enough yet to progress much further.

True no flags but a very high win/loss record and plenty of fun winning Prelims and other finals between 04 and 11. All said and done I enjoyed following the Saints through the ups and downs.
I agree. The vast majority of years any given team followed doesn't win the flag, but there is still heaps of enjoyment in the excitement of wins, watching your star players, contending for finals/premierships, winning finals, seeing improvement, barracking regardless, and just being hopeful and excited to watch your team every week.

People say flags are all that matters, but for a supporter that's simply not true. A footy fan gets much more out of their side than just the joy of winning a GF.

Suggest you don't visit the Hill thread or the Saints board then
its the same argument over and over, petty insults and grown people acting like children, I don't normally partake in that stuff

I agree. The vast majority of years any given team followed doesn't win the flag, but there is still heaps of enjoyment in the excitement of wins, watching your star players, contending for finals/premierships, winning finals, seeing improvement, barracking regardless, and just being hopeful and excited to watch your team every week.

People say flags are all that matters, but for a supporter that's simply not true. A footy fan gets much more out of their side than just the joy of winning a GF.
If one followed the Saints through the 80's, then the results of the 00's was highly enjoyable. the rush of 97 then the fall and rise again was unseen. A most enjoyable period, even if it was ultimately unfulfilled.

i just want everyone elses opinions... is it just me or is stkilda just becoming another essendon team? nothing elite that stands out week to week but a lot of good players? will it see them struggle more than they think when it comes to finals?
They're just like a compulsive gambler. Throwing everything in, and everything out. Next thing you know they're at King St begging for free Lappy's.

Seriously, why does seemingly every thread need to turn into a pointless shitfight?
Because everyone thinks they know it all and they have a dick in excess of 15 inches. They have this ****ed up need to be right and feel validated.

Poor form.

Ryder is a stop gap as we will trade Bruce to the dogs. Next year we will be going hard for B.King who at the moment is looking more like going than staying.
Marshall will learn a lot from him as well ... like what the saints are doing this trade period .

Well they got all their targets without losing 2020 first rounder.

Not bad trading to get the deals done.

Will they be the right players? Time will tell

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good Haul. That Port trade was absolutely crazy. Lost a little bit more then they would of hoped for Hill however thats what you get for Contracted players.

Losing Acres sort of hurts, I think he was a shining light in a shithouse season, but never really got going to live up to the potential. He may do better in a new enviroment.

Adding Howard/Ryder/Jones helps a lot, While we're not going to say it brings saints to an elite level they have moved 6 to a late first round and lost a bunch of second rounders for 3 guys in their best 22, and Hill who is an elite player. Thats massive. Drafts a shitshow. Jones will play another 6 years, Hills got 5 years of good football left, Ryder is in his twilight, Dougal Howard is a steal. He's going to be a great part of the young defensive core.

Losing Stevens hurts but really didnt effect them this year and im assuming they planned for his loss mid season anyways.

Last edited:
900k for Hill just doesn’t make sense to me

They needed to overpay to get a good player to the club which will see them attract more in the long run. Plus they would have a heap of cap room.

Carlton actually need to get a deal like Hill done even if it does cost overs.

I think St Kilda done very well this trade period, hopefully the acquisition of Ryder doesn't slow down Marshall's development though. Hill is a gun, Howard will be a gun, and Jones/Butler will be handy additions. They should definitely be aiming for Finals.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

These moves should improve the team in theory and could see them making the 8 with overall improvement. It doesn't look like a premiership list yet, because to me it lacks the genuine star power that you need at some level, but its a beginning and they have time to add/develop that.

I expect they will be a very competitive side in 2020, take a few big scalps, cause a few upsets and push for finals, but might not be good enough yet to progress much further.
I agree, we should be a better side in 2020 but a long way off a flag window still due to lack of star power. It's not entirely clear where that will come from either, we've got some promising younger players but none that have gone to the truly elite level yet and it's tough to see it happening internally. Which is why it's concerning for me that we had to throw the kitchen sink just to get Hill, who is a gun no doubt but never AA and not in the upper echelon of true star players by any means.

I agree, we should be a better side in 2020 but a long way off a flag window still due to lack of star power. It's not entirely clear where that will come from either, we've got some promising younger players but none that have gone to the truly elite level yet and it's tough to see it happening internally. Which is why it's concerning for me that we had to throw the kitchen sink just to get Hill, who is a gun no doubt but never AA and not in the upper echelon of true star players by any means.
Yeh personally I thought you overpaid for Hill. That's a pretty big investment on a player who is not in the top rung of the game's midfielders. Even if he is the best winger in his position, he's a step below the game's best. It's not that he's not a gun, it's that I reckon he is best as the cream on a solid cake, rather than someone to build around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back