Stop Using Feather Dusters on Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Even the good sides are dictated too by the other team. Over coached defensive borefests. Everyone is playing to keep their jobs. AFL has become a sport to watch the last 10 minutes of a game if it’s close. Local footy is real. Windy, muddy, affordable food and drink. Kick in between quarters. No blaring announcers talking sh*t either.
Agreed

Even the good sides are dictated too by the other team. Over coached defensive borefests. Everyone is playing to keep their jobs. AFL has become a sport to watch the last 10 minutes of a game if it’s close. Local footy is real. Windy, muddy, affordable food and drink. Kick in between quarters. No blaring announcers talking sh*t either.
Really liked your post

The good sides that use the ball well, transition well and actually have a flow make for a good spectacle. Richmond are good in that regard, as are the Eagles. I am sure other teams in the top 5-6 are also good.

I feel that when there’s too much grubby kicking and poor skill that the umpires just get more involved, probably because of more contested situations. It’s almost that the best footy is not contested because the umpires can’t pull the players up for anything.

Melbourne is a really bad to watch when they’re not playing well. Really bad.

I think a little more grey MATTER in the rules and a little less grey AREA would go a long way to making umpiring a little easier and more consistent.

People want to know!
Yes but what would you do with it? I’d think in order to conduct the exercise you’d have to have a plan to use the information. Do you submit it to the AFL? A statistical analysis company? To the media?

There’s obviously a reason the AFL doesn’t want that information released, so it would be good even just to ruffle their feathers.

Yes but what would you do with it? I’d think in order to conduct the exercise you’d have to have a plan to use the information. Do you submit it to the AFL? A statistical analysis company? To the media?

There’s obviously a reason the AFL doesn’t want that information released, so it would be good even just to ruffle their feathers.
Just post it here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good sides that use the ball well, transition well and actually have a flow make for a good spectacle. Richmond are good in that regard, as are the Eagles. I am sure other teams in the top 5-6 are also good.

I feel that when there’s too much grubby kicking and poor skill that the umpires just get more involved, probably because of more contested situations. It’s almost that the best footy is not contested because the umpires can’t pull the players up for anything.

Melbourne is a really bad to watch when they’re not playing well. Really bad.
Try watching Essendon with their faux toughness. Late to the contest with stupid punches or pushing in the back. Old style footy (make them earn it), it’s dumb. Especially when they can just man the mark properly and give a chance to the defence. Supporters then whinge why so many free kicks go against us. Melbourne have a similar type of approach against the good teams. Not sure whether the problems for both teams are related to fitness, bad coaching or dumb players. Probably a combination.

I wonder if other codes have major issues with rules and umpires like we do. Anyone shed any light on other codes?
Soccer is fine. Simple to ref, or though VAR is creating problems. NFL seems to have its grey areas, or though still learning the intricacies of that sport.

It's hard to take this thread seriously when the OP refers to him as ''Callum Ward''.

I wonder if other codes have major issues with rules and umpires like we do. Anyone shed any light on other codes?
If you want to get an idea about it, google "NFL what is a catch" and see multiple articles, videos, and blog posts going back multiple years on the changing interpretations (there's that word again!) of the catch rules. Then there is pass interference. Google "New Orleans Saints Pass Interference" a single call that was so bad the league expanded the review system to cover such infractions, which lasted a season because the review system itself was so bad the same people who wanted it suddenly couldn't get away from it enough.

There was also the season the referees went on strike and the NFL hired replacement scabs... Who mucked up official home and away season games so bad the league lost everything they had at the negotiation table.

And that's the NFL. NCAA is notorious for referees being loyal to certain regions (SEC), just being godawful (PAC-12) and so on.

Now when you said other codes I assume you meant football codes, baseball and basketball have all kinds of issues...

Soccer is fine. Simple to ref, or though VAR is creating problems. NFL seems to have its grey areas, or though still learning the intricacies of that sport.

See the two big grey areas noted above, among many, many more.

The big issue is that the AFL panders to the crowd, principally to what looks good on tv (not that all the friggin changes have made tv good). So they continually fluff around with the rules - I have several layers of the rules in my head from a half centuries watching, well trained to ooh and aah in certain circumstances - my brain doesn't switch easily now to changes - I want to jump and yell still on some things that changed years ago as I've been on a hair trigger for those situations (incorrect disposal, in the back etc). It's all made harder because the rule changes get apllied so inconsistently and continuously

It's a sport, it needs clear rules. As some stuff happens so fast, and people may interupt the umpires line of sight and add to that, that they're probably running 10km a game, it needs simple rules.

I hate the umpiring, but the conditions aren't there to let it be better. As mentioned by others, so much money in the sport and the umps aren't professional, what a madness!

It would help if players didn't play for frees .
You get caught staging then it's a Week suspension.
Next time 2 weeks
Next time 3 weeks
And not reset at the start of every season .
That will sort out the floppers .

I'm not talking about the selwood arm lift or ducking . Most times there is decent contact. Also not talking about throwing your arms in the air when your getting held .
The ones that are bad like the slight push in the back and the big dive ala rance or the minimal head contact then flopping to the ground like Lindsey Thomas.

It should be weeks and the players will soon get the message and stop. This would make umpiring easier .

I wanna know what goes through an umpires mind when they see a player instantly tackled as they grab the ball with absolutely no prior and decide that this particular occasion is when they will call a HTB, especially since they’ve just spent 3 quarters being really lax in their interpretations of HTB by giving other players an eternity of prior?

I imagine you'd probably get better umpiring if the AFL didn't change the way they wanted the rules interpreted 3-4 times per year.
umpires are beyond help with anything. I say get rid of Kennedy would be a great help. Personally I could improve the standard of umpiring overall to a level never seen before. Just try me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back