Stop Using Feather Dusters on Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst the AFL think everything is ok in comparison to other sports at the moment, in regards to more people are watching (cause everyone is bored). I’m thinking it might not be the case when and if things go back to slightly normal (crowds in Victoria). People are seeing how bad the game has gone recently and will be less invested. Umpiring is just one factor.

This is a tough year for the umps just like it is for players. They can't train together then add on top of that the AFL changing interpretations on the fly they have a bloody tough job this year.

Yes they've been bad, I'm not arguing otherwise, but what else could we really expect?

The AFL/champion data don't release goals from free kicks stats to the public, which sucks...a lot. I'd also be very interested in seeing this stat without having to rewatch every goal and lead up to the goal from every game.
I wonder if that's a project we could get together?

Set up an online form where people could watch games and submit the stats.

Whilst the AFL think everything is ok in comparison to other sports at the moment, in regards to more people are watching (cause everyone is bored). I’m thinking it might not be the case when and if things go back to slightly normal (crowds in Victoria). People are seeing how bad the game has gone recently and will be less invested. Umpiring is just one factor.

Yes agreed. Gambling and boredom is the only thing keeping a lot of people tuned in me thinks.

After seeing the Callum Ward free kick ,it has only justified my theories on how bad these jokers are going. I would like to know how many free kicks have resulted in goals this season. Seems to be an order by the ninkompoops who run the umpires to make sure you give those fairy like free kicks to boost the goal tallies in each game. Obviously a directive from the AFL. The three umpire system is not , has not ever worked. It's a bloody joke. Bring back the two umpire system and all the rubbish umpire of todays standards will improve. Umpires today have anxiety attacks when not paying free kicks.

Using feather dusters on them sounds a bit....Richmond

This year is probably the worst umpiring I have seen in my time watching football. I don’t think I’m alone in thinking that either
It's pretty indicative of how the sports going in general. It's soft to the point that it doesn't even look like the sport that we all grew up watching.

A footballers first instinct used to be "see ball get ball" now it's "how can I manipulate a free kick out of this situation".

I honestly cant see future generations following this sport if they don't find a way to fix it. Especially given how easy it is to follow international sport like the NBA, EPL & NFL.

They’re good umpires. Bloody good.

It’s just near impossible to do so with these rules and “interpretations”.

None of us could do it to a higher standard.
They're NOT good umpires . You're using a feather duster. Seems none of them have not got the courage . I'll tell you who is the worse of the lot and it has to be Hayden Kennedy. He's in charge ,dispersing all his "wisdom" at their meetings . His fabrication of the game must be so off beat , I don't give one damn about the feelings of the umpires, Kennedy needs to give it away .Someone with a feel for the game , not an umpire , introduced to ride rough shod over the umpiring fraternity. There is plenty of people out there who can do it . Hey it's not that hard. Get the AFL to appoint someone who will dictate how to umpire. Encourage them to officiate in a common sense manner. Overhaul the standards required to do the job . If they can't bounce the ball , there is more than one way as they do it now , to do the thing. So many basics have been thrown out the window , and these imposters cannot cope. The carry on with them now as they prepare to bounce reminds me of a high jumper readying themselves . Umpiring is the worse part of AFL . Never has it been so low.

Just set an interpretation in the pre-season, train to it, and tell every coach or media persona who complains during the year, "Thanks, we'll review it in the off-season."

No more mid-season changes unless there's something like an immediate safety issue - everything else leave until the end. Once the umpires have a single set of rules to work with, they'll finally be able to keep them straight, and then everyone else will actually figure out what the rules are.

Well, okay, not much hope for that last, but you never know. But at least everyone gets umpired the same way in the same season for a change.

The problem started when rules that everyone knew and understood changed to “interpretations” of the rules which the AFL go and change on the fly from game to game. This introduced the grey area that frustrates us all.
Its really not that hard to distinguish if someone has had no prior opportunity ie is tackled instantly while getting the ball or if they had a 2-3 seconds prior opportunity to get rid of it. Its a pretty simple concept that has been over complicated with BS interpretations. Also a player shouldnt have to show attempt to get it rid of the ball if he had no prior opportunity. It makes no sense to penalise someone for trying to take possession of the ball and gets his arms locked up or gets squashed under another player...

Free kicks for high contact should go back to penalising players who clothesline someone in the head and tries to rip it off rather when a players pinky rests on a shoulder during a tackle...

The push in the back rule should go back to marking contests only. Why should the tackler be penalised for tackling from behind? Or in a pack when the tackler gets pushed or knocked over and cant help but fall over the back of someone. Its silly to penalise someone for this...

the hand holding the ball should just about be stationary when handballing, this would get rid of all the throws.

Nominating for rucks is stupid, as long as only two players go up who cares.

Miskicks or kicking into space and the ball changes direction then bounces over the boundary line is not deliberately out of bounds... umpires are too red hot on this and needs to be scaled back to how it was before.

The push in the back rule should go back to marking contests only. Why should the tackler be penalised for tackling from behind? Or in a pack when the tackler gets pushed or knocked over and cant help but fall over the back of someone. Its silly to penalise someone for this...
Couldn't disagree more. You've got 36 players on the field and only one has the ball at any time. You're telling me that they can get nailed from behind any which way.
I'm all for protecting the player with the ball much more and giving them more time and space to use their skills.
The improvement in tackling over the years in no way has improved our game.

They don't umpire by convention, they umpire by the book.

And that's a directive from the ever-controlling AFL HQ. No decision is made with any empathy with the players. And too many umps like the big stage, so see it as an opportunity to push their own barrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't disagree more. You've got 36 players on the field and only one has the ball at any time. You're telling me that they can get nailed from behind any which way.
I'm all for protecting the player with the ball much more and giving them more time and space to use their skills.
The improvement in tackling over the years in no way has improved our game.
The acrobatics involved to turn over a player so you land on their side and not on their back is just unnecessary. Its also really deflating to see a player after a long chase say on the wing, finally catchup to the ball carrier, tackle him and then gives away a free because he tackled from behind.

The problem started when rules that everyone knew and understood changed to “interpretations” of the rules which the AFL go and change on the fly from game to game. This introduced the grey area that frustrates us all.
Its really not that hard to distinguish if someone has had no prior opportunity ie is tackled instantly while getting the ball or if they had a 2-3 seconds prior opportunity to get rid of it. Its a pretty simple concept that has been over complicated with BS interpretations. Also a player shouldnt have to show attempt to get it rid of the ball if he had no prior opportunity. It makes no sense to penalise someone for trying to take possession of the ball and gets his arms locked up or gets squashed under another player...

Free kicks for high contact should go back to penalising players who clothesline someone in the head and tries to rip it off rather when a players pinky rests on a shoulder during a tackle...

the hand holding the ball should just about be stationary when handballing, this would get rid of all the throws.

Nominating for rucks is stupid, as long as only two players go up who cares.

Miskicks or kicking into space and the ball changes direction then bounces over the boundary line is not deliberately out of bounds... umpires are too red hot on this and needs to be scaled back to how it was before.

The push in the back for a tackle is fine. It can be dangerous if both arms are pinned and you can pretty much faceplant someone into the turf. That's the whole point behind the rule, safety.

It's sometimes tough when you get guys like Robbie Gray flopping forward every time they're tackled, but as Jack Ross did beautifully on the weekend, you just have to shift your body so you don't fall into their back.

This. The entire system is broken. There has already been one rule change I can think of re tackling that saw ANB get rubbed out and Burgoyne not. It’s like this was the first year the issue has reared up, it isn’t, it’s been happening for years now.

The AFL clearly has the power to direct the umpiring based on rules that they implement, and it’s never been worse. Too much interpretation, analysis and cooks in the kitchen. It’s the most unprofessional of supposed professional sporting codes getting around. The game has never been in worse shape. It’s at the point know where players like Ward, a known hard man, is acting up to get a free purely as he knows it’ll get paid.

I started getting into footy about 20 years ago, so was fortunate enough to see a good 8-10 years before it became over sanitised. I’ve rewatched lots from about 1995 onwards and that was seriously good. Lots of goals, nothing soft, good old fashioned footy but with a slightly modern edge. Now it’s simply horrific.

I feel the only good games are when, to a degree, the umpires can’t keep up. Against the best sides. Richmond v Port was good. Geelong v Port coming up should be good. When you watch rubbish teams play, it’s slow, the ball is over used, skill errors are rife and there’s so much room for umpires to sink their teeth in.
Great post.The AFL wont admit that some of the rules do not work. They wont concede on any of the rule changes.The umpires need to be de-mic'ed for starters.
I do no need to listen to Chamberlain over the top deep breathing when he is about to bounce the ball. It is all a con with the amount of public focus the umpires wish to gain. Totally unprofessional as you say,

They don't umpire by convention, they umpire by the book.

And that's a directive from the ever-controlling AFL HQ. No decision is made with any empathy with the players. And too many umps like the big stage, so see it as an opportunity to push their own barrow.
If they umpire by the book, just proves they cannot read.It is sickening the way they carry on. Get rid of goal review as well. They do iy as an attention seeking "look at me moment" . Every time a big name kicks a goal Chamberlain in standing beside him for the cameras

Great post.The AFL wont admit that some of the rules do not work. They wont concede on any of the rule changes.The umpires need to be de-mic'ed for starters.
I do no need to listen to Chamberlain over the top deep breathing when he is about to bounce the ball. It is all a con with the amount of public focus the umpires wish to gain. Totally unprofessional as you say,
They also are not employed full time, which is an issue. I feel for them, it’s a job that is hard to do plus you’ve got the added pressure of having to keep up with rule changes and changes during the year. I mean explain to me why Burgoyne got off? The tackle had the same impact on the head that the ANB tackle did. Now why is ANB rubbed out just because the crow bloke was concussed? Both tackles could be considered dangerous, but they’re basing the punishment on the outcome not the action; that is simply wrong.

I can’t watch the game, and I’ve got mates in the same boat. Last year when we’d catch up we wouldn’t go to the footy (or if we did we’d go to a bar and drink talk about other things). We wouldn’t base our catch ups around watching at a pub etc, if we went to a pub we’d just not watch the footy.

It’s just a terrible event these days. You’re better off watching two really good sides play, so I might give Geelong v Port a crack for example, for a quarter and see how it goes. West Coast are good, as are Richmond. Anyone else? Forget it. I’ll hardly watch Melbourne unless I find out they’re flying and flick it on to see some goals.

I can’t watch the game, and I’ve got mates in the same boat. Last year when we’d catch up we wouldn’t go to the footy (or if we did we’d go to a bar and drink talk about other things). We wouldn’t base our catch ups around watching at a pub etc, if we went to a pub we’d just not watch the footy.

It’s just a terrible event these days. You’re better off watching two really good sides play, so I might give Geelong v Port a crack for example, for a quarter and see how it goes. West Coast are good, as are Richmond. Anyone else? Forget it. I’ll hardly watch Melbourne unless I find out they’re flying and flick it on to see some goals.
Even the good sides are dictated too by the other team. Over coached defensive borefests. Everyone is playing to keep their jobs. AFL has become a sport to watch the last 10 minutes of a game if it’s close. Local footy is real. Windy, muddy, affordable food and drink. Kick in between quarters. No blaring announcers talking s**t either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back