Stopping the Tigers 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Make a case as to why your list is better than Collingwood’s then. You act like your list is the greatest of all time while Collingwood are on the brink of folding. You know they finished above you on the ladder, right? And went deeper than you last season? They were a kick away from making a Grand Final. You were a game and 20 odd points. You have absolutely no right to scoff at my statement. They’ve gone past you.

Collingwood’s defence is very good. They conceded less points than West Coast did last year. I’m not sure how you could argue your defence is better than theirs? Langdon, Howe, Moore, Roughead, Crisp and Maynard is superior to Hurn, McGovern, Jetta, Sheppard, Barass and Rotham. Hurn and Jetta are on their last legs, Barass is awful, Sheppard and Gov are both very good. Collingwood’s defenders are all very good. They missed Moore, Langdon and Howe for large stints last season as well.

Their midfield of Pendlebury, Treloar, Adams, Sidebottom and Phillips (with De Goey as a part timer) is one of the best in the comp and has yours covered. Grundy is also a top five player in the comp. Nic Nat is 50-100 and can’t even get on the park.

As for the forward line, it’s very close but I gave the nod to WCE as you have superior talls. However, it’s much of a muchness as Collingwood’s three smalls (Elliot, de Goey, Thomas and Stephenson) are better than your smalls (Cameron, Ryan, Cripps and Petrucelli).

Depth wise, yours is arguably bottom four depth in the competition where as Collingwood have a very deep list. Look how they covered their injuries in the past compared to you guys.

Again, they finished above you last season with a much, much, much bigger injury list. I know you’re forecasting your list to be better this season, but your judgment is clouded by bias. On exposed form, Collingwood have you well and truly covered.
Everything you say might well be true Tenny but you are living in the past. It is 2020 and a ball has yet to be kicked. There is conjecture with Collingwoods top notch players (De Goey, Moore etc) being OOC and could move on. You are just ranting because you do not like us and it makes you look, well........uneducated. I will bookmark this and revisit 10 games in and see how well it has aged. W.C has a classy list with players who could step up this year to another level. I would not presume to think the W.C will go Premiers this year, unlike some of the Richmond faithful who are already thinking they are holding the cup aloft. Don't make yourself look like a dumb arse is what i am saying. Imagine if you will that Dustin does not perform this year and Richmond fall. My, my, my!

Last edited:
Probably more that he's a troll and weagles fans are the easiest to get a rise out of.
I don't see him as a troll at all. He rationally argues a point, you don't have to agree with it, but when asked he has backed up his opinions he does so. Far more so than simplistic statements about his 'blind hatred' of WC.

Everything you say might well be true Tenny but you are living in the past. It is 2020 and a ball has yet to be kicked. There is conjecture with Collingwoods top notch players (De Goey, Moore etc) being OOC and could move on. You are just ranting because you do not like us and it makes you look, well........uneducated. I will bookmark this and revisit 10 games in and see how well it has aged. W.C has a classy list with players who could step up this year to another level. I would not presume to think the W.C will go Premiers this year, unlike some of the Richmond faithful who are already thinking they are holding the cup aloft. Don't make yourself look like a dumb arse is what i am saying. Imagine if you will that Dustin does not perform this year and Richmond fall. My, my, my!
And this post is set in the future. At least Tenny's posts have been accurate, WC finished below Collingwood etc. You may not like his summation but it has been argued out.
Nobody knows how anyone will go within reason this season coming. How can you talk about conjecture regarding Collingwoods top players, state that Dustin may not perform this year, then go on and say WC will be better because of this or that.

I understand what you are saying (and probably true) but Jeez, he makes Richmond supporters look bad.

if you let a troll form your opinion on "Richmond supporters" then that says more about you than any of us

I don't see him as a troll at all. He rationally argues a point, you don't have to agree with it, but when asked he has backed up his opinions he does so. Far more so than simplistic statements about his 'blind hatred' of WC.

Agreed. I disagree with him on WC v Collingwood. But I accept what he says is factual. I just disagree with the conclusions.

It doesn’t work like that though. Did Richmond have Hawthorn covered throughout their dynasty? Because we always beat them then.
Yeah, these "X beat Y the last Z times they played" stats are always silly.

To take them seriously, you have to ignore:
  • every non-head-2-head game, i.e. 94% of matches
  • home ground advantage
  • the margins (close or blowouts?)
  • the stakes (was one team coasting before finals?)
  • the careful cherry-picking of a particular window of time
  • differences between the current list and whoever was in the team five years ago or however far you're reaching back for data
  • the fact that if you toss a coin ten times you'll often get a run of heads or tails

Mmmm but tell me how a post like this is not a troll. I mean, it's an amazing troll, but it can't be accidental that it pushes about thirteen different Collingwood hot-buttons:
This move would make sense from Moore’s perspective. Collingwood just can’t get his body right and are notoriously bad with injury management and prevention. Richmond are the complete opposite.

If Moore is driven by money I’m afraid Collingwood will lose him. Richmond are well positioned to offer him a better deal.

Moore might also sense Collingwood’s window is closing whilst Richmond’s is wide open.

Interesting times ahead. I would welcome Moore with open arms. He seems like a gentleman in interviews and strikes me as a “Richmond man”.

Mmmm but tell me how a post like this is not a troll. I mean, it's an amazing troll, but it can't be accidental that it pushes about thirteen different Collingwood hot-buttons:

He is right on the edge between troll and reasoned posting. You could say passionate. But also verging on insulting. I've moved on from troll to don't get too excited.

Well in context to the discussion with WC supporters he hasn't trolled in my eyes. He did come in a bit strong as I have already mentioned, and the post above may have come form that time, I remember him getting howled down about a few things, but in general of late his posts have been pretty well thought out without any hyperbole.

The post you highlighted is a good example of someone trolling I'll give you that.

Richmond single handily saved football the last 3 years. They're romp to the prem in 2017 and 2019 as well as being the best side in the home and away season in 2018 before losing dramatically in a historic prelim saved the game from complete rubbish. WCE in 2018 gave us a story and Geelong for half a season along with the Lions last year. But the Tigers brand has been the best and most exciting during that 3 year period. Exciting to see what they bring in season 2020 and regardless what happens a great story will brew.

Pumped for this season. * you all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond single handily saved football the last 3 years. They're romp to the prem in 2017 and 2019 as well as being the best side in the home and away season in 2018 before losing dramatically in a historic prelim saved the game from complete rubbish. WCE in 2018 gave us a story and Geelong for half a season along with the Lions last year. But the Tigers brand has been the best and most exciting during that 3 year period. Exciting to see what they bring in season 2020 and regardless what happens a great story will brew.

Pumped for this season. fu** you all.

Pumped for this season. fu** you all.
Now there's a good example of perhaps Trolling, I don't want to be rude if genuine, but in the context of the thread.....

I didn’t even start the Collingwood/WCE list comparisons. All I did was add my two cents at the tail end of it then along come the WCE psychos with the personal attacks.

It’s amazing. If you don’t think the side who finished fifth are the best team in the comp with the best list in the comp, you are labelled a troll. Most won’t even accept that the reigning premiers are better than them. It’s truly mind boggling.

Anyway, all I do is talk footy. I’m never disingenuous, I never stalk anyone, I never intentionally provoke anyone and I never call anyone names. I’ll leave that to the WCE fans who seem do that regularly.

But yeah I’m the troll :drunk::thumbsu:

Tenny's been a busy poster, I'll grant that. And Tenny pushes buttons at times, I'll grant that too.

So, troll or passionate? From what I've seen, I'd mostly go with the latter. The sheer bulk of the posts under that name means some may probably appear like trolling, even if that was not the intention.

Collingwood were robbed in 2018.
When you say stuff like this is when i stop taking you seriously and bump your troll status. W.C won the last 3 quarters of footy to win a GF from five goals down and Collingwood were robbed? You do not have the graciousness to concede a stirring victory that was good for footy. You do not recognise good teams you just recognise your own garbage.

When you say stuff like this is when i stop taking you seriously and bump your troll status. W.C won the last 3 quarters of footy to win a GF from five goals down and Collingwood were robbed? You do not have the graciousness to concede a stirring victory that was good for footy. You do not recognise good teams you just recognise your own garbage.
Just my take on it. Obviously you don’t think it was a free kick, but I do. And so do many others in the football world. People are just afraid to call it for what it is because it was such a good match overall. I’m sure you’ve watched the replay of it. The commentators who are largely very impartial rightfully questioned the non call.

And I hate Collingwood. Absolutely despise them. Give them nothing at the best of times. There is no incentive for me to say they would’ve been worthy premiers, but here I am. I can’t hide my opinion on that last two minutes.

Just my take on it. Obviously you don’t think it was a free kick, but I do. And so do many others in the football world. People are just afraid to call it for what it is because it was such a good match overall. I’m sure you’ve watched the replay of it. The commentators who are largely very impartial rightfully questioned the non call.

And I hate Collingwood. Absolutely despise them. Give them nothing at the best of times. There is no incentive for me to say they would’ve been worthy premiers, but here I am. I can’t hide my opinion on that last two minutes.
Even the majority of the most die hard Collingwood supporters concede it was a fair win, give it up. Maynard initiated high contact with Rioli before he supposedly held him out of the contest, so if anything it's a Rioli free kick before the mark even occurred. The commentators were largely very impartial? It was pretty obvious they were barracking for Collingwood all day. Not only that but what about when Howe was blatantly caught HTB in the goalsquare by Cripps, yet it was called play on? Why not mention that bad non decision if you're going to get caught up on the Maynard one?

The commentators who are largely very impartial...
Oh yeah, the commentary team of Taylor, Darcy, Richardson and Carey, all former stars at Victorian clubs, screams impartial.

The first thing Richo did after the game was go up to Shannon Hurn and tell him how good the MCG is and that the grand final couldn’t possibly be played anywhere else.

Collingwood’s defence is very good. They conceded less points than West Coast did last year. I’m not sure how you could argue your defence is better than theirs? Langdon, Howe, Moore, Roughead, Crisp and Maynard is superior to Hurn, McGovern, Jetta, Sheppard, Barass and Rotham. Hurn and Jetta are on their last legs, Barass is awful, Sheppard and Gov are both very good. Collingwood’s defenders are all very good. They missed Moore, Langdon and Howe for large stints last season as well.

Their midfield of Pendlebury, Treloar, Adams, Sidebottom and Phillips (with De Goey as a part timer) is one of the best in the comp and has yours covered. Grundy is also a top five player in the comp. Nic Nat is 50-100 and can’t even get on the park.
McGovern is the best defender in the game, no questions asked. Barrass had an absolutely awful end to last season but on his day is elite. Shannon Hurn is getting better with age, not sure where you get the idea that he’s on his last legs. Brad Sheppard would walk into any defence in the comp, and Jetta has the best disposal in the game. Duggan is progressing nicely and has found his role on the half back flank, he’s not a world beater but he gets the job done. Our weakness in defence is the rotation off the bench, neither Nelson, Watson or Cole seem to be able to nail down that spot and Rotham hasn’t had enough of a look at it yet to make a judgment.

My combined WCE - Pies back 6 would be
Barrass, Hurn, Moore, Sheppard, McGovern, Howe with Langdon on the bench.

Collingwood’s midfield is great on paper but doesn’t stack up on the field. Treloar is a great SuperCoach player but has one of the worst disposals by foot I’ve seen for a long time, he’s a genuine hack. Adams and Pendlebury’s class is undeniable, Sidebottom goes missing in the big moments *cough Grand Final cough* and Phillips gets the job done.

We know how good TK was at Geelong, how he slots into our system remains to be seen. Luke Shuey is a match winner who doesn’t get the credit he deserves - he played the best finals game ever recorded and it was in a grand final for Christ’s sake. Elliot Yeo gets better with each passing season, as does Dom Sheed now that he’s nailed down a spot. Gaff is similar to Treloar in that he gets leather poisoning without damaging the opposition too much. Both these midfields are astoundingly good on paper, but when the chips are down the Eagles midfield has won the day more often than the Pies midfield has.

combined midfield: Kelly, Shuey, Yeo, Pendlebury, Adams, Gaff, Grundy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back