Stopping the Tigers 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yeah, the commentary team of Taylor, Darcy, Richardson and Carey, all former stars at Victorian clubs, screams impartial.

The first thing Richo did after the game was go up to Shannon Hurn and tell him how good the MCG is and that the grand final couldn’t possibly be played anywhere else.
Spot on and it was blatant.

McGovern is the best defender in the game, no questions asked. Barrass had an absolutely awful end to last season but on his day is elite. Shannon Hurn is getting better with age, not sure where you get the idea that he’s on his last legs. Brad Sheppard would walk into any defence in the comp, and Jetta has the best disposal in the game. Duggan is progressing nicely and has found his role on the half back flank, he’s not a world beater but he gets the job done. Our weakness in defence is the rotation off the bench, neither Nelson, Watson or Cole seem to be able to nail down that spot and Rotham hasn’t had enough of a look at it yet to make a judgment.

My combined WCE - Pies back 6 would be
Barrass, Hurn, Moore, Sheppard, McGovern, Howe with Langdon on the bench.
With Rance retired, I agree Gov is now the best defender. I'd say Richmond have the strongest overall defence though (with Rance it wasn't a contest), and the Eagles, Cats and Giants make up the others for the best 4 defences in the league, in whatever order you like.

Richmond single handily saved football the last 3 years. They're romp to the prem in 2017 and 2019 as well as being the best side in the home and away season in 2018 before losing dramatically in a historic prelim saved the game from complete rubbish. WCE in 2018 gave us a story and Geelong for half a season along with the Lions last year. But the Tigers brand has been the best and most exciting during that 3 year period. Exciting to see what they bring in season 2020 and regardless what happens a great story will brew.

Pumped for this season. fu** you all.
No room for you on the train mate....cats and pies for you only remember?

Just my take on it. Obviously you don’t think it was a free kick, but I do. And so do many others in the football world. People are just afraid to call it for what it is because it was such a good match overall. I’m sure you’ve watched the replay of it. The commentators who are largely very impartial rightfully questioned the non call.

And I hate Collingwood. Absolutely despise them. Give them nothing at the best of times. There is no incentive for me to say they would’ve been worthy premiers, but here I am. I can’t hide my opinion on that last two minutes.

lol

Going by yesterday’s game, clearly Melbourne will stop them. Petracca will probably stop them himself.

(That’s how it’s done isn’t it Tigers fans?)

Oh wait, Petracca, Christian Petracca that is.

Going by yesterday’s game, clearly Melbourne will stop them. Petracca will probably stop them himself.

Probably his best game for the club yesterday. Had massive tags on him coming in as the number one draft pick.

Going into his sixth season, if he can get some consistency in his game, he may finally start to live up to the expectation.

Needs to learn to kick first. Has athletic talents but doesn't get it enough to justify butchering it like danger and Fyfe do. To take the next step he needs to either learn to find it like those two, or learn to use it like dusty

Sorry mate you can only use that line when you atcually win a GF. For example like Graham, Jack Graham that is

Harder draw, less home game streaks esp the run up to finals.

This time last year everyone was saying we had a harder draw too.

Same the year before.

Everyone hypes up the clubs we have to play ... until we beat them...then they were no good and we had an easy draw due to playing them...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching petracca and the demons, i think the the tigers have a lot to worry about.

JLT Series - Sunday, 11 March, 2018 - Fremantle 14.17 (101) def West Coast 5.9 (39)

That performance led to this article by Robert Walls eight days later.

You know where I'm going with this. Pre-season matches are meaningless.

JLT Series - Sunday, 11 March, 2018 - Fremantle 14.17 (101) def West Coast 5.9 (39)

Tell me it’s not so 😵

Not entirely. It depends on the strength of the side and how close they are playing to the game plan. There are many teams who failed in the season that showed alarming signs in the preseason.

The trick though is that we don’t know and can only guess which results are meaningless in the preseason and which ones hold weight.

Not entirely. It depends on the strength of the side and how close they are playing to the game plan. There are many teams who failed in the season that showed alarming signs in the preseason.

The trick though is that we don’t know and can only guess which results are meaningless in the preseason and which ones hold weight.

Conversely there are plenty of teams that showed lots of promise in the pre-season and failed in the season proper. And of course plenty of premiership teams had middling pre-seasons.

Hence meaningless. Sure, there will be teams that are hot s**t (or just plain s**t) in both pre-season and the season but I'd suggest there's no correlation between pre-season form and the rest of the year.

Conversely there are plenty of teams that showed lots of promise in the pre-season and failed in the season proper. And of course plenty of premiership teams had middling pre-seasons.

Hence meaningless. Sure, there will be teams that are hot s**t (or just plain s**t) in both pre-season and the season but I'd suggest there's no correlation between pre-season form and the rest of the year.
In my opinion, the fact that some teams do carry their pre-season form into the real season shows that it isn’t entirely meaningless (moreso when we are talking about the beginning of the season). I know with Richmond that there are quite a few things from preseason that checks out because we typically take it more seriously when we are full strength. This is in relation to both positive and negative. A team like Sydney though typically try things out, so their preseason form isn’t all that indicative of their season from what I have seen.

It may not necessarily be from the results itself, but could be to do with gamestyle, skills when watching the game, accuracy in front of goal, or endurance. It’s just my opinion so you are welcome to disagree with it, but I just think that saying entirely meaningless relies only on extreme examples of high discrepancy between preseason and H&A season.

The one thing I do think though is that it’s not obvious which team’s preseason form is indicative of their real season form before the season starts. Hence, I wouldn’t say that Gold Coast are now set and Geelong are now screwed.

That depth is shocking.

I thought Rotham was best 22? List your best 22 then please.

Pies depth:
Sier, Varcoe, Reid, Wills, Quaynor, Mayne, Scharenberg, Greenwood, Daicos and Noble are all serviceable to good players at the highest level. Rantall and Bianco are also very promising kids. Then they have a few unknowns that could go either way but looked very good in the VFL. Plenty of options there.

Looks like they have more than double the amount of proven players not in their best 22 than WCE do, plus they’ve got some promising kids coming through who they recently drafted which WCE don’t have as they sold their future for Kelly.

You’ve got four decent prospects in Brander (hasn’t played a game IIRC), Allen, Petrucelli and Cameron, whereas clubs with good depth have about ten plus kids coming through.

You’ll need an amazing run with injuries to be any kind of threat. Another reason why you’re just not a top four side as they have great depth. Look at GWS and Richmond for example if you want to see elite depth.

Quality trolling here.

If you actually think the Eagles depth is shocking you have absolutely no idea.

They are having difficulty fitting in Oscar Allen, Brander, Waterman, Schofield, Nelson, Cole, Watson, Petrucelle, Cameron, Ah chee and Sheed is being pushed out of the midfield to a forward flank because of Kelly.

Hutchings their best tagger looks like he will make way as well.

Players like Venables and Rioli are totally out of the equation at the moment.

If you are out of form or slightly injured there are multiple players pushing for your spot in the team.

A post from the Eagles site on round 1 side:

FB Shannon Hurn Tom Barrass Brad Sheppard
HB Liam Duggan Jeremy McGovern Lewis Jetta
C Andrew Gaff Elliot Yeo Jarrod Brander
HF Jamie Cripps Jack Darling Dom Sheed
FF Jarrod Cameron Josh J. Kennedy Liam Ryan
FOL Nic Naitanui Luke Shuey Tim Kelly
I/C Baily Williams / Hickey, Jackson Nelson, Jack Redden, Jake Waterman

Not quite fit for round 1: Oscar Allen

Emg / Depth: Hickey / Baily Williams, Josh Rotham, Hickey, Hutchings, Cole, Petrucelle, Schofield, Watson, Ah chee, Vardy.

Rich are not as far ahead of everyone as people seem to be making out. Yeah they smashed GWS in the GF - but could see that result coming a mile away given GWS's lead in and their long injury list. How so called experts thought GWS were going to get within about 8 goals, let alone some who thought they might even win, was nothing short of staggering. But you only have to look at weeks 1 and 3 of finals - rich were absolutely dominated in the 1st half of both games by their opponents, but those opponents wasted the multiple chances they were provided to put serious scoreboard pressure on especially the lions in week 1. Yes rich were good enough to turn the tide in the 2nd half of each game, but that doesn't change the fact they were completely out played in the 1st half of both of those finals and were very fortunate to be as close as they were. Going to be perhaps the tightest season in memory, and htere is not that much between rich and probably 5 other sides at the top end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back