Stopping the Tigers 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

If you mean how long can the Tigers keep this style up - then years. We've done it for 2017-19 and have recruited for that style. This includes recruiting more monster style inside mids to deal with the major weakness in the Tigers style - dealing with teams that can control the ball. There is no reason to think that the Tigers can't do this every game from here on in.

If you mean other teams, then that's how the game plan works. No other teams does the repeat efforts like the Tigers. That's why when we lose (except Pies in 2018, who copied our style and did it better than us for 1/2 a game) teams control the ball and make us chase. So if teams can control contested ball, and get free space to move the ball then they can keep that up all day and simply make the Tigers style irrelevant.

To a point yes your right, but you have not recruited another Dusty, or Cotchin ( the most underrated player in the league IMO), Houlies do not grow on trees and the big Nank will be hard to replace as well. Got a gun forward in Lynch with years left in him but Jack makes him look better as he creates as many as he kicks. Grimes has filled the Rance void to some extent but does not intercept or rebound as well. Richmonds list is elite across the park and I can't see that being sustainable forever, and you are now 4 -5 years in with that list ( Lynch Excepted). Richmond are on par with 01-03 Bris and 13-15 Hawks but even they could not sustain.

If your recruiters and coaching staff can KEEP turning over players to maintain that level then for a long time , however the Tigers have a very talented and fit list and to keep the list at that level would not be easy. Time will tell I guess.
What may surprise people is that Richmond have 24 new players on the list that were not there at the end of the 2016 season, So the rejuvenation of the list is on going and whilst outsiders wont know the names its almost like a rebuild happening whilst winning. I doubt any team that has been top for 3 years would have turned over this many players in the past

To a point yes your right, but you have not recruited another Dusty, or Cotchin ( the most underrated player in the league IMO), Houlies do not grow on trees and the big Nank will be hard to replace as well. Got a gun forward in Lynch with years left in him but Jack makes him look better as he creates as many as he kicks. Grimes has filled the Rance void to some extent but does not intercept or rebound as well. Richmonds list is elite across the park and I can't see that being sustainable forever, and you are now 4 -5 years in with that list ( Lynch Excepted). Richmond are on par with 01-03 Bris and 13-15 Hawks but even they could not sustain.
This is where you need to understand the list to know where the 'Next' star players are likely to come from , Dusty is a generational player so they dont come around often and are hard to replace but there are players currently at the club who have been held back and are developing their game but with massive upside.

Coleman-Jones is going to become a fantastic ruckman and only in the system 2 years but has shown he is a class ruckman with foward ability thats very similar to Lynch as a foward but will be a top class ruckman.

Noah Balta , Still only just turned 20 years of age but 195cm 97kgs beast of a kid thats lightening fast and with a huge leap and massive kick, Has already shown us a taste at AFL level and will become a star

Shai Bolton , This kid is magic personified and can do the most freaky things both midfield and foward and has established himself to be best 22 pushing Dan Butler out of the team.

Riley Collie-Dawkins 193cm 93kg inside mid with speed to burn , Was sensational in the VFL grand final and kicked 2 goals running out of the midfield to 50 and kicking goals, Need to build tank but kid will be a huge inside mid with elite pace and X factor

Jack Ross , Well i see this kid as the Cotchin replacement you asked for , 1st year and played 7 games and would have remained in the team and played in the GF if not for getting injured and losing his spot after the bye , 188cm 87 kgs another big inside mid

Sydney Stack - Need i say anymore ?

Jack Higgins - Well we all seen in 2018 and first half or 2019 this kid just 'Has what it takes' To become a AFL player that will play 200+ games

Egg-Smith - You asked for a Houli replacement well this kid has been developing at VFL for 2 years now and a Cat B recruit that every Tiger fan just loves what he brings and looks almost ready to go

Patrick Naish - Another thats just about ready to push for selection and showed in his 2 games this year he has what it takes

There are players currently in the VFL that are probably a year away from really demanding a spot but Martin/Riewoldt/Rance/Cotchin are all champions and hopefully the kids i have mentioned are also on their way with what they have been developed as.

I think their pressure if anything is underrated. It's not what Richmond does with the ball (lightning fast movement and efficient disposal) , it's what they do without it, swarming numbers ,when the ball hits the ground, rarely is one guy on the tackle but two to three guys, they're ability to recover the ball in tight and force turnovers then hit a man running past is unrivaled at the moment, other teams find it hard to get off a good kick or handball against them due to the fact a Tiger is up there arse every time they touch the ball. That style of play when players stay fit and can execute, is very very hard to stop ( that why the tigers won in 17 and 19 , I just question how long a team can keep up that level of pressure before running out of legs or sustaining injury. The only way I can think of ( probably why I'm not a coach ) is to kick and mark the ball till you hit a target close to goal, as that absorbs and relieves the pressure better than anything else.

They got a truckload of injuries to gun players , most medium to long term and still won the flag...

This is where you need to understand the list to know where the 'Next' star players are likely to come from , Dusty is a generational player so they dont come around often and are hard to replace but there are players currently at the club who have been held back and are developing their game but with massive upside.

Coleman-Jones is going to become a fantastic ruckman and only in the system 2 years but has shown he is a class ruckman with foward ability thats very similar to Lynch as a foward but will be a top class ruckman.

Noah Balta , Still only just turned 20 years of age but 195cm 97kgs beast of a kid thats lightening fast and with a huge leap and massive kick, Has already shown us a taste at AFL level and will become a star

Shai Bolton , This kid is magic personified and can do the most freaky things both midfield and foward and has established himself to be best 22 pushing Dan Butler out of the team.

Riley Collie-Dawkins 193cm 93kg inside mid with speed to burn , Was sensational in the VFL grand final and kicked 2 goals running out of the midfield to 50 and kicking goals, Need to build tank but kid will be a huge inside mid with elite pace and X factor

Jack Ross , Well i see this kid as the Cotchin replacement you asked for , 1st year and played 7 games and would have remained in the team and played in the GF if not for getting injured and losing his spot after the bye , 188cm 87 kgs another big inside mid

Sydney Stack - Need i say anymore ?

Jack Higgins - Well we all seen in 2018 and first half or 2019 this kid just 'Has what it takes' To become a AFL player that will play 200+ games

Egg-Smith - You asked for a Houli replacement well this kid has been developing at VFL for 2 years now and a Cat B recruit that every Tiger fan just loves what he brings and looks almost ready to go

Patrick Naish - Another thats just about ready to push for selection and showed in his 2 games this year he has what it takes

There are players currently in the VFL that are probably a year away from really demanding a spot but Martin/Riewoldt/Rance/Cotchin are all champions and hopefully the kids i have mentioned are also on their way with what they have been developed as.

List is deep no doubt, and a lot of young talent. Stack is one of my favorite players to watch. Time will tell if the raw talent becomes on field results, and I see Cotchin as a generational player as well, albeit a different type of player to Dusty but a generational player none the less. Many teams have very highly touted youngsters as impressive as the tigers but rarely do all of them live up to the Hype ( Stack and Bolton will though)

List is deep no doubt, and a lot of young talent. Stack is one of my favorite players to watch. Time will tell if the raw talent becomes on field results, and I see Cotchin as a generational player as well, albeit a different type of player to Dusty but a generational player none the less. Many teams have very highly touted youngsters as impressive as the tigers but rarely do all of them live up to the Hype ( Stack and Bolton will though)
Agree! Look good surrounded by stars. Some excel but not all

I think also supporters of anything underrate some of their star players when they think young player X can replace Martin, Cotchin, Rance et al

As mentioned above they are generational players

Geelong and hawks have had some handy players come through last few years but they aren’t like for like with Enright, Scarlett, Bartel or Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell[/QUOTE]

So the best way to beat Richmond is stop consecutive games at the G. That makes a lot of sense.

I think their pressure if anything is underrated. It's not what Richmond does with the ball (lightning fast movement and efficient disposal) , it's what they do without it, swarming numbers ,when the ball hits the ground, rarely is one guy on the tackle but two to three guys, they're ability to recover the ball in tight and force turnovers then hit a man running past is unrivaled at the moment, other teams find it hard to get off a good kick or handball against them due to the fact a Tiger is up there arse every time they touch the ball. That style of play when players stay fit and can execute, is very very hard to stop ( that why the tigers won in 17 and 19 , I just question how long a team can keep up that level of pressure before running out of legs or sustaining injury. The only way I can think of ( probably why I'm not a coach ) is to kick and mark the ball till you hit a target close to goal, as that absorbs and relieves the pressure better than anything else.
I believe that this is a good strategy, but only if done quickly. If a team moves too slowly then the pressure will get to them eventually as the Tigers will be able to set up well down the field.

I believe that this is a good strategy, but only if done quickly. If a team moves too slowly then the pressure will get to them eventually as the Tigers will be able to set up well down the field.

Yes it must be done quickly, or done sideways till a player is freed up. WC did this very will in 2018. When they could not kick forward quickly they were patient and moved sideways or a full switch until a player is freed up down the ground.

I think also supporters of anything underrate some of their star players when they think young player X can replace Martin, Cotchin, Rance et al

As mentioned above they are generational players

Geelong and hawks have had some handy players come through last few years but they aren’t like for like with Enright, Scarlett, Bartel or Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
You can't replace stars like Martin, but you find a player like Stack. You might be weak in one area and draft/trade for a player that makes you stronger in that area. Who would have thought that Grimes would have taken Rance's place so well. But in general, if you lose them all at once, then you fall back. But like Geelong, who have three flags tucked away, them's the breaks.

They got a truckload of injuries to gun players , most medium to long term and still won the flag...
And the VFL premiership as well which is under rated considering we needed those guys to play AFL during the injuries.
Easily will fast forward the development of our next generation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Straight question as one AFL supporter to another......Do you think this is fair? No sooking from me.
Tiger currently play 10 home games at the MCG, and one at Marvel (which I hate).
Then we play away games against co-tenants, usually some of:
Melbourne
Collingwood
Hawthorn
Carlton
Geelong (yes they are a co-tenant)
and for the Dreamtime game, Essendon.

Total MCG games usually around 14.
In 2019 some complained that too many were stacked in the second half of the season, although it was only a 6 - 8 split.
In 2020 we have 8 in the first half of the season (which includes 3 marquee games - first round, ANZAC eve, Dreamtime - latter two of which are away games) and 6 in the second half.

If that seems unfair to you, how would you like to see them distributed? Try constructing a draw which seems fair to you.

Last edited:
If this thread was moderated properly could be so much better..

Some good stuff in here, wish we could ban the posters with nothing insightful to add other then “salty supporter” or “7 games in a row at the MCG, worst grand finalist ever etc”

Collingwood and West Coast for mine. If those two teams can put a full strength side on the park against Richmond the Tigers will be in for a tough day at the office.

And this has been proven, seems when wc get their transition game happening there is NO way of stopping it except drag them down to your own playing style - easier said than done.

tigs don't like Pies pressure game either - they're similarly styled but with subtle differences. Ok neither wc or pies have won repeatedly against them in the last 3 years but it can be done and these two teams most likely to do so.

You're not fooling anyone, c'mon aunty - own that s**t.
Born after the '80 GF. I've only known lean times. I was comfortable in mediocrity. People would just laugh at me. Now they assume I'm a flog.

I am, but they don't know that.

Then the other clubs want to try and stop us, can't they just forget about us like the good ol days?

Born a Collingwood supporter I've only known lean times, people laugh at me because of it and will probably to my grave. They've always assumed I'm a flog.

I'm not, but that doesn't stop them.

The other fans just want what's worst for us regardless if we're 2nd or last. Can't they just forget about for once?

Born after the '80 GF. I've only known lean times. I was comfortable in mediocrity. People would just laugh at me. Now they assume I'm a flog.

I am, but they don't know that.

Then the other clubs want to try and stop us, can't they just forget about us like the good ol days?
I swear you go through move avatar changes than underwear

And this has been proven, seems when wc get their transition game happening there is NO way of stopping it except drag them down to your own playing style - easier said than done.

tigs don't like Pies pressure game either - they're similarly styled but with subtle differences. Ok neither wc or pies have won repeatedly against them in the last 3 years but it can be done and these two teams most likely to do so.
Collingwood are a strong side, they should/could have another flag in their cabinet. So yes Collingwood, like WC and any other top side in good form will trouble Richmond, as they will trouble all sides. The form sides are in, the personal available through injury, the mental edge sides have for one reason or another all count come finals. Whoever has those things on their side come finals/GF will usually win a flag.

Yes, it will be hard to replace some of the best players of the decade/all time. We're trying, but it'll be hard.

However we have at least 2 more years of that quality on the list. Perhaps as much as 5 if we can bring in more young talent.

After that, who knows?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back