Stopping the Tigers 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Admittedly yes, the tigs have improved their spread, that does not equate to the speediest transition - quality of transition has improved through their spread. That's what makes it look fast. Teams like wc and gws are for want of a better term 'naturally aspirated' i:e their systems are skill reliant more so. When those two are on the speed of transition is lightning quick - but one teeny weeny fault particularly against pressure teams and it's exposed badly.

At the end of the day, what makes pressure so difficult to defeat is itself pressure, outpressure the opposition and you gain possession to transition. That's the key for teams like Richmond and Collingwood, they have reliable systems that are not 'skill' reliant. For the pies this is an issue though and probably less so for the tigs.

They have to win contested ball to allow possession, the pies pre empt winning the contest and if they don't (which is rare) then they're exposed in the opposite direction.

Still there are two teams currently IMV that can trouble the tigs game plan, wc and Collingwood.

funny thing is that to play like Richmond of today you need skill, and lots of it. It’s easy to show skill when you’re not going at 110%, todays footy(and soccer) is a lot faster than it ever was. It’s harder to display skill when the gams is moving so fast. Agree with most of what you said. Why is our metres gained by handballs so much more than the competition?

They don't have stars on everyline and aren't as strong as the previous premiers (or even say Sydney Swans last decade). But looking at every other club in the competition none of them aside from perhaps West Coast have really got their act together.

It really shouldn't be too hard for one club to build a stronger list next year but I don't think it will happen. Standard of footy seems to suck these days
LOL this is funny

I would suggest having a look t all the fianls the tigers played in the 2 premiership seasons and have a look at how they just about demolished every finalist they played. Then compare it to how the swans won their finals in the years they won.

Because you gain possession (transition) through pressure. Pretty obvious I would think.
Of course you have valid points in both the pressure, how did you get it in the first place, and pehaps Richmond is not be the speediest in transition (debatable), but we do use the ball very well on the rebound, especially by hand which is really hard for teams to stop due to the creativity of handballs and tap on's.

Adam Saad rebounds as fast and hard as anyone, but he doesn't finish his work with any finesse or creativity. Shane Edwards has 2x more metres gained handball distance than any other play in the league, Saad is second. But when Edwards gets it he always moves the ball forward with great creativity, and that is also why he is no.1 or 2 in the leagues goal assists. Long accurate kicking is still a good weapon, and when done well for 4 quarters will trouble any side, but creative handball is safer as you still retain the ball and you open up play. That is why a player like Pendelbury is so good, because he doesn't dish it out (like Treloar) to the nearest player, but he opens you up with his ball use. I think this is Vaasp's point, I hope.

And while I'm on it, you might want to have a word with the brains trust down at Collingwood and get Treloar back to his seagull gut running rather than his bottom of the pack game, because he is good at one and average at the other. Collingwood haven't been quite good enough as a team over the last few seasons, although you have played good games against Richmond.

Because you gain possession (transition) through pressure. Pretty obvious I would think.

We run with speed towards goal, l don't know why your still stuck on our pressure (fhat hasn't changed but our forward movement has.
And don't compare us to past GF winners.
We would smash them all bar west coast of 2018( that would be a tough game)

Last edited:
HaHa.. do we want re-intervention/re-invention or do we want a return/regurgitation of the past.. I like the trawling back of the past..
It had kind of less chaos..
It’s funny how people loved the chaos of finals footy back in the day, we bring in on a weekly basis (most of the time) and still people complain.

It’s funny how people loved the chaos of finals footy back in the day, we bring in on a weekly basis (most of the time) and still people complain.
People can’t say we’re s**t anymore because we’re by far the best team in the comp, so they criticise our style of play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I said less chaos dude... but getting 22 people for both sides will mean a bit of strategy in maintaining positions and not running amok..

We run with speed towards goal, l don't know why your still stuck on our pressure (fhat hasn't changed but our forward movement has.
And don't compare us to past GF winners.
We would smash them all bar west coast of 2018( that would be a tough game)

What's wrong with comparing other teams to point out the tigs key? Are you ok? I hope I haven't offended you.

What's wrong with comparing other teams to point out the tigs key? Are you ok? I hope I haven't offended you.
Richmond are beyond comparison and should not be mentioned in the same light as mortal football teams. I do believe this is the first time a team has won 2 flags in 3 years right? Incredible

Of course you have valid points in both the pressure, how did you get it in the first place, and pehaps Richmond is not be the speediest in transition (debatable), but we do use the ball very well on the rebound, especially by hand which is really hard for teams to stop due to the creativity of handballs and tap on's.

Adam Saad rebounds as fast and hard as anyone, but he doesn't finish his work with any finesse or creativity. Shane Edwards has 2x more metres gained handball distance than any other play in the league, Saad is second. But when Edwards gets it he always moves the ball forward with great creativity, and that is also why he is no.1 or 2 in the leagues goal assists. Long accurate kicking is still a good weapon, and when done well for 4 quarters will trouble any side, but creative handball is safer as you still retain the ball and you open up play. That is why a player like Pendelbury is so good, because he doesn't dish it out (like Treloar) to the nearest player, but he opens you up with his ball use. I think this is Vaasp's point, I hope.

And while I'm on it, you might want to have a word with the brains trust down at Collingwood and get Treloar back to his seagull gut running rather than his bottom of the pack game, because he is good at one and average at the other. Collingwood haven't been quite good enough as a team over the last few seasons, although you have played good games against Richmond.

Don't disagree with any of that, as far as Treloar goes I'd go one further and actually have the team go back to the way the played in 2018. Too much trying to control transition in 19 - need to go back to swarm and spread. Treloar on the spread is damaging.

I think Treloar’s best days are behind him. He has lost his signature burst ever since he did the double hammy.

Don't disagree with any of that, as far as Treloar goes I'd go one further and actually have the team go back to the way the played in 2018. Too much trying to control transition in 19 - need to go back to swarm and spread. Treloar on the spread is damaging.
dynamic and dislexix... or else sometime that you and me don't understand.. rough touch and she catches you out...

I'm a little nervous for some of the Richmond supporters on here if 2020 doesn't go the way their grandiosity says it will.
Never fear, what could go wrong? Red hot favourites in Essendon in 2001, Geelong in 2008, Collingwood in 2011 and Richmond in 2018 all went to script didn't it? Give them the cup now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back