Stopping the Tigers 2020

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Great analysis, bunny :saracasm:

It shows the opposite. It shows that Tigers game plan isn't built around winning clearances. Also shows a blueprint to hurt them on the scoreboard. Win clearances, and move the ball forward quickly and precisely. We have seen teams do this to Richmond and get on top of them, even during their 12 game winning streak. Easier said than done, however we have seen teams do this for periods of time:

West Coast in Round 22
Brisbane QF
Geelong PF

West Coast tore Richmond apart in the first quarter, Geelong was well on top for majority of the first half, even after they conceded 3 goals, and Brisbane was wasteful with their chances in front of goal early and that kept the Tigers closer than they should have been at QT.
It's not like Richmond are unbeatable. Maybe a few % above the other top sides. What successful sides have is a slight mental edge overall, but of course they can be beaten and will be by better sides on the day. Winning Premierships tis all about timing your run and hoping you don't come up against a side on an equal run of form. 2018 could have gone either way due to 2 very evenly matched sides and both hitting their peak at the same time. Hence a knife edge game as opposed to this year where Richmond played 2 inexperienced sides in Brisbane and GWS, and were good enough to get over the line against Geelong who weren't quite good enough.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Losing 1 game (however important that it is) is a bit different than losing 3 games out of 4 to end the season. But that's just my opinion. It's clear that you think differently.

It's more that I know how to read a Fixture ;)

You clearly went looking for when the West Coast/Richmond game was to make your 'clever' response; yet couldn't even figure out the difference between the number 5 & 6. :rolleyes:

I actually didn’t, I just knew they played sometime at the beginning of the season. I actually thought we played hawks in tassie in round 5 and had us penciled in for a L and 4-1 start. Thanks for letting me know, now I can go back and change that to a 5-0 to start the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tenny

??
Jan 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
That shows your ignorance. Someone who knows anyone about football is able to say "team A finished in x spot in 2019, but due ABC improvements it could potentially see them moving up/contending".

You inability to engage in any meaningful discussion about a teams future prospects show that you are nothing but a groupie.
Your problem is that you think WCE are the only team who will strengthen this season. You ignore every other teams’ scope for improvement. You’re painfully biased, yet accuse me of being unable to engage in any meaningful discussion. I have conceded multiple times that I think GWS and Bulldogs will be a major threat due to their ceilings, but you continually ignore that. You’re just pissed off because I don’t consider WCE a threat.
Do you mind if book mark this and we revisit it after you guys come to Optus in round 6?

We can revisit our posts then and see how things turned ;)
I personally would prefer to revisit our posts after the GF this season but you’re more than welcome to revisit this thread whenever you want. If you win in round six and come here to shoot your mouth off, just make sure you hang around for the rest of the season. Don’t want you disappearing if your team dies in the arse again.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I think Richmond had been flat for a while...at least 2 months, perhaps even the second half of the season. They had been gradually improving but still didn't seem quite 'right'.

I ALSO think that a injury and illness had a particularly bad effect in that game and several important players were well down (and perhaps shouldn't have played) as a result.

Added to that, I believe Collingwood played very well that night.

No game is decided by one factor, and I think all of these (and more) contributed to the loss.

Oh good, back to normal. I get the impression from that that best v best Richmond would've won coz they're just better. No ifs buts or maybes, am I right in that speculation?

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Read the thread title, if you are offended that someone is coming up with something right or wrong, see if you can get the mods to make it Richmond supporters only. Then you all can agree.

That supporter was deliberately goading Tigers supporters. And he's arguments were completely off the charts. My post had nothing to do with being offended by a different opinion...everything to do with a child egging on supporters.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I ask— what has changed between 2019 & 2020 to fix the issues the Eagles defence had late in the year against key forwards???
[/QUOTE]
You may well ask but a footy has not been kicked in 2020 so we will not know if it has been addressed until 1/3 into the season. I don't think WC are going to sound the trumpet and announce that "We have fixed last years problems by doing such and such".

You may well ask but a footy has not been kicked in 2020 so we will not know if it has been addressed until 1/3 into the season. I don't think WC are going to sound the trumpet and announce that "We have fixed last years problems by doing such and such".

So the assumption that West Coast will improve in 2020 based off 2019 is perfectly acceptable— in fact repeatedly claimed all over BigFooty.

However—- the moment any analysis is done & criticism made; then it is somehow not acceptable until 1/3 of the way through the season??

This is an example on why WCE supporters are insufferable and unable to have quality discussion about footy
:rolleyes:

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
So the assumption that West Coast will improve in 2020 based off 2019 is perfectly acceptable— in fact repeatedly claimed all over BigFooty.

However—- the moment any analysis is done & criticism made; then it is somehow not acceptable until 1/3 of the way through the season??

This is an example on why WCE supporters are insufferable and unable to have quality discussion about footy
:rolleyes:
Your post makes no sense? NOBODY knows how their team will fare in 2020 and predictions are just that....predictions. If WC are 17th and Richmond 18th a third of the season in everyone has egg on their face.
People crowing about their team winning finals before a shot has been fired are being foolish.
Richmond...B2B is a tough ask and only Hawthorn has done it in recent times so, good luck for 2020.
WC....If they can figure this year then they will have to make quite a few changes, which brings me back to what i said. WC would be dumb to announce what they are doing to improve from last year......as would Richmond be.

Your post makes no sense? NOBODY knows how their team will fare in 2020 and predictions are just that....predictions. If WC are 17th and Richmond 18th a third of the season in everyone has egg on their face.
People crowing about their team winning finals before a shot has been fired are being foolish.
Richmond...B2B is a tough ask and only Hawthorn has done it in recent times so, good luck for 2020.
WC....If they can figure this year then they will have to make quite a few changes, which brings me back to what i said. WC would be dumb to announce what they are doing to improve from last year......as would Richmond be.

I'm not asking for the club to come out and openly say what strategic changes they've made.

But I'm just asking for a bit of reasoning and analysis into why WCE supporters Repeatedly claim that their team should be flag favourites and that 'anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool' (aka. half of BigFooty main threads since October).

I got asked to provide analysis as to why I think West Coast shouldn't be premiership favourites (based off watching games late in the season); yet instead of giving reasons as to why West Coast should be flag favourites you're going off on some tangent that my post doesn't make sense.

Tell me-- why are you (and other West Coast Eagles supporters) claiming that you are flag favourites in 2020??

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It isn’t too difficult to beat Richmond outside of the MCG, but they’re just way too good there. They play enough games to make it hard to stop them.

I think only Collingwood and possibly Bulldogs can stop them there.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
'shithouse midfield'

Martin , Cotchin , Prestia , Edwards , Lambert

2 x Premierships in 3 year

Great to have such a bad midfield , Cant wait for the kids like RCD , Dow ,Ross , Graham , Turner , Naish , Stack , Bolton , Balta
Push the above mentioned rubbish out of the side so we can have a real shot at the flag.

FMD

Tenny

??
Jan 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
'shithouse midfield'

Martin , Cotchin , Prestia , Edwards , Lambert

2 x Premierships in 3 year

Great to have such a bad midfield , Cant wait for the kids like RCD , Dow ,Ross , Graham , Turner , Naish , Stack , Bolton , Balta
Push the above mentioned rubbish out of the side so we can have a real shot at the flag.

FMD
You forgot Pickett

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
So that supporter not allowed an opinion? What's your point?
So that supporter not allowed an opinion? What's your point?
If you didn't get i'll say it plainly, Richmond has a very good midfield and on the back of one senior game you wouldn't add Pickett to that yet.

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
You’re just pissed off because I don’t consider WCE a threat.
This. Then throws toys from cot. You are dealing with a spoilt brat that wants its own way.

reckons he'll win the Brownlow this year on the back of one game.
I’ve speculated it. As a punter I see him as overs off that one game, he has the potential and plenty of obvious upside...50 to 7550 will do me.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
If you didn't get i'll say it plainly, Richmond has a very good midfield and on the back of one senior game you wouldn't add Pickett to that yet.
Agree normally not, because 99% of first gamers are young players who are just starting. But Pickett has a pretty good football resume behind him, and for reasons other than football ability he was not drafted. Neither was Stack, so you have to ask what are recruiters doing a bit. Like Stack, Pickett has class and there is no reason to think he will be a one hit wonder. Time will tell, but I'm betting he will improve our side at the very least. You could have said the same of Geelong's Kelly before last season, and he went alright.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Agree normally not, because 99% of first gamers are young players who are just starting. But Pickett has a pretty good football resume behind him, and for reasons other than football ability he was not drafted. Neither was Stack, so you have to ask what are recruiters doing a bit. Like Stack, Pickett has class and there is no reason to think he will be a one hit wonder. Time will tell, but I'm betting he will improve our side at the very least. You could have said the same of Geelong's Kelly before last season, and he went alright.
I hope he does become a star after the journey he has had. After round one.

Fair enough.

For the record. Simply winning first possession ( clearance ) is not enough. Hardwick has developed a method for being first at regaining possession. Simply because, once possession is regained, its generally either in space or with less pressure applied, hence why our midfield concentrates on being elite in that stat and have been elite in that stat in the past 2 and a half years.

The reason, if you win the contested ball, 90% of the time you are under immense pressure and more often then not you will turn it over. That is why players like pendles are worth there weight in gold, as they can create space from the contest with apparent ease but they are rare as hen's teeth. Also the tiger game plan is not based on stoppage, we are a low possession side, we love the ball always in flow.

The team as a whole happily concede the first possession in a stoppage or center clearance, more often then not we go in with only 1 midfielder or 2 at most in the inside, we much prefer to have an outnumber surrounding the contest so when its regained, as its often the case as we are top 1 or 2 in the league we are off.

Hope that explains why just simply winning the first ball is NOT the easy way to beat the tigers. The easy way to beat us is to rob us of our turnover game. Pies did it wonderfully last year with the keeping's off and instead of kicking long once they won a clearance they actually managed to use short kicks/handballs to feed a receiver who was normally protected with a blocker to push our outliers to far outside.

When it works its our kryptonite but thankfully Hardwick looked like he adjusted to that as well last year too.

This thread is full of Tiger posters telling people how to beat us. And we all say variants of the same thing. And we then say that we have been recruiting players to stop the way to stop us. And so we move from a really good detailed discussion of team structures, recruiting and development and strategies, to stupid slanging matches.

The ways we've been beaten in the past we work out how to deal with. Like all AFL teams.

The big thing that we can say over and over again (including many smart non-Richmond posters) is that we are built differently from the ground up. The closest is the retro-built Pies. Comparing us directly to teams that are built differently misses the fact that we have developed a sustainable advantage due to how the team is built - types of players recruited, training and game style. We have been tinkering with that style and still are to address the weaknesses. The basics of how to beat us to take our style away - stop the chaos and constant scrimmaging. We use our superior repeat sprints to create outnumbers and overlaps were no other team can go with us, and then boom, boom boom. And in reverse we use that repeat sprint ability along side a high quality and discipled group of intercept players to make it very hard to cleanly move the ball forward. It's such a simple formula, and saying things like 'win clearances' does not address our advantages at all. yes controlling the ball does - it's the key. But how? Answer that and we have a discussion.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

He may not be, like you guys, he maybe judging based on the pre season he is having as well as the form he showed in the VFL which he dominated and then when he had an opportunity in the AFL again he dominated. There have been longer shots bet on as smokey's for the draft. Why go out and post to knock a tiger supporter and offer nothing else ?

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
He may not be, like you guys, he maybe judging based on the pre season he is having as well as the form he showed in the VFL which he dominated and then when he had an opportunity in the AFL again he dominated. There have been longer shots bet on as smokey's for the draft. Why go out and post to knock a tiger supporter and offer nothing else ?
If you missed it i did offer my reasoning for Pickett and in case you don't know you're on Big Footy, i can say what i want within the rules.

Back