Strategy Stories from Recruiters

Remove this Banner Ad

My understanding of the situation is that Melbourne preferred Lever over McCartin.

Had Saints picked up Petracca with pick 1, Melbourne would have gone #2 Brayshaw, #3 Lever. Roos really liked the look of Brayshaw and were very keen to draft him, while Petracca was just simply too good not to draft should he have fallen through. We had Hogan and Dawes on the books up forward. and had just lost Frawley to free agency so would have preferred a defender.

I did hear some talk Peter Wright might have been a chance, but wouldn't be surprised if that's what was most likely.

Remember Hearing that Collingwood was going to Pick Peter Wright in the 2014 Draft but Hine went with De Goey as he is Good Friends with his Father
That’s not true. Hine knows JDG’s Dad, but to say they’re good friends is a gross exaggeration.

Marc Murphy wasn't the most talented guy in that Chargers side, but the guy that was in fact the most talented was under 175cm and had OP. He never really came back to high-level footy either.

Got to a 2006 championship game at princes park (I think) to watch SA play. Not long after I took my seat a huge contingent of Collingwood recruiting people turned up and sat in front of me. As the game progresses I heard a lot of very positive things said about James Sellar. At one point a prominent recruiting person suggested he was the number one player in the draft.

Lucky for them he was out voted I’d say.

Got to a 2006 championship game at princes park (I think) to watch SA play. Not long after I took my seat a huge contingent of Collingwood recruiting people turned up and sat in front of me. As the game progresses I heard a lot of very positive things said about James Sellar. At one point a prominent recruiting person suggested he was the number one player in the draft.

I remember the thinking at the time (early 2005) was that James Sellar or Mitch Clark would be the #1 pick.

Just goes to show you how things can change throughout the year.

It's interesting that in a few cases players are better off having got into the system when they were 17 and just finished school as (particularly for country kids moving to the city) opposed to having that year living with mates and picking up bad habits. Was a kid in my year who would've for all money gone early as a 17 year old and had clubs salivating a year out playing extremely well in the championships and getting games in WAFL league, just one year later he had walked out on his WAFL club and in some pretty serious s**t with the law having made some very poor life decisions. I know there's lots of counterpoints of guys who still make bad decisions whilst on AFL lists, but can't help but feel that for this kid in particular getting into the system and around more positive influences with the incentive of trying to prove his way through a senior AFL list it could've been so much better for him.

Thats come up quite a few times about the Brisbane academy kids and how they finish school a year earlier. Quite a few of them have dropped right down from how they were rated in their junior year once they have a year out of school

\
I heard that Story before. That we had Rated Sellar very Highly but we Dropped off later in the Season.

As you say that turned out to be a Very Good Decision Made

Via a recruitor, but not really a recruiting story.

Mitch Thorp had struggled to fit within the team culture of Hawthorn(most know of his ego and his mismanaging of his injuries) and was not well regarded by senior players, or even some his own age. He was cut from the list, but found his way to Melbourne that off-season in the hope of resurrecting his career.

While trialing for a spot on the Melbourne list he ran into some trouble at Crown late one night and decided he would call coach Bailey to ask for some help to get him out of his trouble.

Bailey got off the phone, rang the appropriate people at Melbourne that night, and Thorp’s stint at Melbourne was done.

Mitch Thorp had struggled to fit within the team culture of Hawthorn(most know of his ego and his mismanaging of his injuries) and was not well regarded by senior players, or even some his own age. He was cut from the list, but found his way to Melbourne that off-season in the hope of resurrecting his career.

While trialing for a spot on the Melbourne list he ran into some trouble at Crown late one night and decided he would call coach Bailey to ask for some help to get him out of his trouble.

Bailey got off the phone, rang the appropriate people at Melbourne that night, and Thorp’s stint at Melbourne was done.

There are very good reasons clubs didn't want to touch Thorp and I think you may have tabled out a couple in your post.

Carlton recruiter was a client of mine. He called that they had Judd sealed from June 2007.

Lots of nods and winks go down through the course of the year and things can well change before commitment has to be made.
Agreements-in-principle also aren't worth the paper they are not written on. :)

Carlton also all but had Cloke and we know how that worked out. Plenty of such examples.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harley Balic told a few stories to a number of recruiters - which they ended up finding out weren’t true.

I’m assuming that’s one of the reasons why he fell so far in the draft also.

Think it’s telling we only gave him a one year deal. Basically says you’ve got 12 months to get your s**t together.

When asked what he would do if he wasn’t drafted - he told a few clubs that he had already received a College scholarship to play basketball in the US.

It was a lie.

Have we drafted the white Nelly Yoa?

Apparently Kenny Hunter actually walked in to Arden Street to train back in 1975 and no one knew who he was.

Former North wingman and Carlton assistant Keith McKenzie got wind of it and Hunter then made his way to Princes park and became an absolute GUN.
Im certain this is incorrect. Kenny is a WA lad who was recruited out of Claremont by Shane Osullivan and lived with the OSullivans with his young family upon arriving. His first year was the 81 flag.

Im certain this is incorrect. Kenny is a WA lad who was recruited out of Claremont by Shane Osullivan and lived with the OSullivans with his young family upon arriving. His first year was the 81 flag.

Okay, I haven't had it confirmed.

It is hard to imagine how much of a flog the guy was to go pick 6 in that draft and get cut that quickly.

It is hard to imagine how much of a flog the guy was to go pick 6 in that draft and get cut that quickly.

It is even harder to imagine how Hawthorn could watch Jack Riewoldt and Thorp play for the Tassie juniors/VFL and choose Thorp.

Thorp had all the talent in the world, but a pretty average attitude.

Remember that game he lined up on Tom Harley at Box Hill and told him he was going to end his career....people forget that he did kick 6 on him that day from CHF. He was a talent.

Thorp had all the talent in the world, but a pretty average attitude.

Remember that game he lined up on Tom Harley at Box Hill and told him he was going to end his career....people forget that he did kick 6 on him that day from CHF. He was a talent.

Yeah he def had talent which means he must have been a quite painful person to get the arse so quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back