Strategy Stories from Recruiters

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the timeline, he was signing up as a 16 year old. Is that even allowed?
I went to school with 13/14 year old kids that had their schooling sponsored by NRL clubs and given like 5k a year. The contracts are very little but they are contracts and a great way for NRL clubs to lock way promising youngsters.

According to the timeline, he was signing up as a 16 year old. Is that even allowed?
In the NRL yes. Remember there is no draft. Each club has a junior set up (think academy) or has local aligned clubs that act as pathways and feeder clubs. The Storm has some local feeder clubs based in QLD. That's where all their QLD talent comes from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its all coming together nicely.. rankine and Lukosius this year with demons first rounder from lever.
Those two could take a dump on every recruiters table in October and theyd still go 1 and 2.

Those two could take a dump on every recruiters table in October and theyd still go 1 and 2.
I think there's a chance Rankine might drop to 4 or 5 but only because he doesn't get enough of the ball.

Lukosius however will be 1 even if he says he wants to spend next year in Adelaide doing yr12 then head back home 6 years later...not that anyone would have the ***** to do that sort of thing

That may well be a fact in that he wasn't any good, but how do people that just aren't any good, keep finding a way into our club?
Don't you ask yourself this question? Isn't it relative, at all?

Rogers gave Malthouse what he wanted because that may have been what he was told to do.
My understanding is that he also gave McKay what he wanted in providing him Tom Temay in 2013.
There was a lot of meddling going on at our club before we created this unique, stand-alone position; List Manager. We were clearly ahead of our time. :)

On a different note, our previous recruiters had next to no idea how to consider character and how to fit the right pieces into the right places.
SOS on the other hand has shown himself capable of identifying not just talent alone, but the right blend of characters for the club.
He'll have his misses no doubt, but what you'll find is that this group will be closer than for any squad we'd had before. We'll see what that brings about.

Luke Williams, who was a key recruiter at Geelong went to Carlton and quit within 6 months because of how dysfunctional we were... surprise surprise he went to Richmond and they just won a flag.

What were the terms of your contract as a 12 year old?
Had to train with the junior squads twice a week. Played on Saturday with whatever team I was selected in. I was big for my age I was 5'9 and 65kg at 13, so I used to play in the 15's 17's and unfortunately one game in the '19's.

'Twas in that one game in the '19's, playing against bigger and stronger kids (and in the generation of still pushing in scrums) that when the scrum collapsed I broke my back. Career over.

Balmain kept signing me to the same figure until my 18th birthday. I used to attend training up until then also, just to help out, never any contact work.

Had to train with the junior squads twice a week. Played on Saturday with whatever team I was selected in. I was big for my age I was 5'9 and 65kg at 13, so I used to play in the 15's 17's and unfortunately one game in the '19's.

'Twas in that one game in the '19's, playing against bigger and stronger kids (and in the generation of still pushing in scrums) that when the scrum collapsed I broke my back. Career over.

Balmain kept signing me to the same figure until my 18th birthday. I used to attend training up until then also, just to help out, never any contact work.

Sorry to hear about your career but it must have been awesome whilst it lasted.

Besides the injury, do you think it was beneficial always playing with older kids? I would expect your development would be a lot quicker but what do you sacrafice and risk (besides injuries) playing against bigger bodies?

I think there's a chance Rankine might drop to 4 or 5 but only because he doesn't get enough of the ball.

Lukosius however will be 1 even if he says he wants to spend next year in Adelaide doing yr12 then head back home 6 years later...not that anyone would have the ***** to do that sort of thing
I’d probably take 10 kicks of Rankine’s over 20 of anybody else’s. He’s so damaging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back