Strategy Stories from Recruiters

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably more of a trade story but I remember after Dallas Willsmore and Zac Webster's first year on the rookie list that the hawks were forced to sign them both to 2 year contracts as there were multiple clubs willing to offer them that and a spot on the primary list.

Probably more of a trade story but I remember after Dallas Willsmore and Zac Webster's first year on the rookie list that the hawks were forced to sign them both to 2 year contracts as there were multiple clubs willing to offer them that and a spot on the primary list.

Bet those Clubs glad that did not Happen Now

They’ve been absolutely awful. He hasn’t really dominated a draft since the Selwood one. To be fair though their mantra seems to be trade talent in now.

No recruiter gets them all right. He is very good at late picks and rookies, less good on the first round picks - we almost always have s**t picks so he reaches for NQR players with talent.

Hughes public comments about that in the months after the draft refute that though. Hughes said words to the effect of the first round would be full of talls who didn’t make it and that Butcher was the only one they were interested in. Lucas seemed to fit everything Hughes liked in a player - from Western Australia, lean, had speed, could run and could play off a flank. That seems like strange comments to make if you wanted Talia and were overruled by the senior coach. I think it’s more likely that Hughes just wasn’t a good recruiter or list builder, which is why he picked Lucas over Talia.

Don't think we liked Talia at all.
I'm pretty sure it was Jetta we would have taken had have Lucas not been there.

That's what I was told.

Heard of this too. Hanrahan, Glass and Cousins all look more promising in their respective first seasons and we were able to keep them all as rookies this time around.

James Worpel thought Geelong or West Coast were the most interested in him.

Heard this from a member of Adelaide’s recruiting team.

In 2000 there were a few options at their first pick. The recruiting staff were keen as mustard on Cornes. In the lead up to the draft someone higher up the chain with links to Hawthorn* pushed massively for Angwin, whose grandfather had been a steward or something at Hawthorn.

Apparently words were said to the effect of ‘well his grandpa is a champ so surely he can’t be a prick.’

The recruiting staff were (understandably) nervous. One of them took their concerns to the board and ensured their objections found their way into the minutes. Ultimately the recruiting staff were overruled. They had to pick Angwin.

When he imploded and left after a year there was a full blown inquiry and the board minutes basically saved one or two. Angwin spent some time with Box Hill funnily enough before he presumably burned them too.

*edit: just remembered it was Gary Ayres!

Last edited:
Not a draftee.

But betts was close to a done deal to port Adelaide. But at the last minute Adelaide offered 100k more so signed with them. Source: Eddie betts
Sorry, but this does not make sense to me.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-26/claims-spark-betts-inquiry

But in an explosive radio interview on Tuesday, Malthouse claimed Carlton CEO Steven Trigg – who was the Crows boss in 2013 – had told him Betts was "stitched up" long before he officially moved to Adelaide.

"I'd still love to have a number of players here. Betts is the most classical one, because he's a goalkicker," Matlhouse told SEN.

"But Steven Trigg assured us when he arrived here 'Don't take it too personally, we – being Adelaide – had him stitched up 18 months out’.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2000 there were a few options at their first pick. The recruiting staff were keen as mustard on Cornes. In the lead up to the draft someone higher up the chain with links to Hawthorn* pushed massively for Angwin, whose grandfather had been a steward or something at Hawthorn.

Apparently words were said to the effect of ‘well his grandpa is a champ so surely he can’t be a prick.’

The recruiting staff were (understandably) nervous. One of them took their concerns to the board and ensured their objections found their way into the minutes. Ultimately the recruiting staff were overruled. They had to pick Angwin.

When he imploded and left after a year there was a full blown inquiry and the board minutes basically saved one or two. Angwin spent some time with Box Hill funnily enough before he presumably burned them too.

Was in the same year as Angwin at high school.

An absolute flog of a human.

I remember thinking at the time please dont pick him up Hawthorn.

This is true, it was in the Herald Sun when Angwin failed the drug test at Carlton.

It was Ayres and Peter Curren, who was an assistant at Adelaide who pushed for his selection based on their relationship with Andy Angwin.

Yet 'Swann the dud' has just been given a pat on the back and two extra years at another club, that's now going places under his watch. :)
Sometimes one has to ask themselves; Maybe I'm the problem?
Sorry. This isn't a Carlton-board thread. Best leave this discussion for the right forum.

What stories have we on Wells?
Touted as the best recruiter going around for some years, but where's the recent proof?

First picks in the National Draft:

2010: #15 Billie Smedts
2011: #32 Joel Hamling
2012: #16 Jackson Thurlow
2013: #16 Darcy Lang
2014: #10 Nakia Cockatoo

Not a lot of joy in that grouping.
And yet Carlton traded for two from that five

And yet Carlton traded for two from that five

Yes. The #15 Smedts as steak-knives in the Tuohy deal and the #16 Lang for effectively a fourth round selection.
Not a particularly great return for Geelong, was it?

The Dogs are disappointed to see Dalrymple go, but who knows? He may have been past his use by date at Dogs.
Has Wells gone on past his use by date at Geelong? I'd be surprised if some Geelong supporters would think not.

Yes. The #15 Smedts as steak-knives in the Tuohy deal and the #16 Lang for effectively a fourth round selection.
Not a particularly great return for Geelong, was it?

The Dogs are disappointed to see Dalrymple go, but who knows? He may have been past his use by date at Dogs.
Has Wells gone on past his use by date at Geelong? I'd be surprised if some Geelong supporters would think not.
Not really when you look past 1st round selections to see his hit rate with later round selections

Remember Hearing that Collingwood was going to Pick Peter Wright in the 2014 Draft but Hine went with De Goey as he is Good Friends with his Father

Remove this Banner Ad

Back