Strategy Stories from Recruiters

Remove this Banner Ad

North recruiting staff want Rory Sloane with our third rounder in 2008.

Dean Laidley demands a ready made player in Liam Anthony.

Sloane goes the pick after we take Anthony.

He also wanted Kasey Green ahead of Andrew Swallow.

And he was Port's second choice behind Mitch Banner, who we took at the pick before Anthony and who played about 10 games before being delisted.

Have heard from someone with close ties to the Eagles board that Nisbert Has stuck his nose into a couple of drafting decisions in favour of personal friendships. Case 1 was in 07 ( I think ) when they had pick 3 and wanted Cyril Rioli. A friendship with Masten family saw Chris selected instead.
Case 2 a couple of years later in 09 they wanted Fyfe and chose Brad Sheppard instead due to family connection of a board member.

Have heard from someone with close ties to the Eagles board that Nisbert Has stuck his nose into a couple of drafting decisions in favour of personal friendships. Case 1 was in 07 ( I think ) when they had pick 3 and wanted Cyril Rioli. A friendship with Masten family saw Chris selected instead.
Case 2 a couple of years later in 09 they wanted Fyfe and chose Brad Sheppard instead due to family connection of a board member.

Heard the Masten one before.

Woyld nut be surprised at both. Nisbitt has been there too long and needs to go onto his next challenge. Club needs to toughen up and refresh off field as well as on field.

Remember Hearing that Collingwood was going to Pick Peter Wright in the 2014 Draft but Hine went with De Goey as he is Good Friends with his Father
Don’t believe that.
Utilities like DeGoey are Hine specials.
Can’t remember the last tall key position player he drafted early apart from father son Darcy Moore.

Don’t believe that.
Utilities like DeGoey are Hine specials.
Can’t remember the last tall key position player he drafted early apart from father son Darcy Moore.

Think it was Ben Reid and Nathan Brown was last time we went Tall outside of Moore

In 2014, Port Adelaide were desperate to keep Pick #37 in order to draft Brayden Maynard.

The pick was eventually sent to Essendon in the Ryder deal, and Maynard was taken by Collingwood at Pick #30 anyway.

and I heard the Crows where also very Keen with there 2nd Pick. Even had talks of Taking him in the 1st Round

Yeah they had him on trade radio and he told the story pretty much the below:
-clarko wanted 2 forwards in the draft
-hawks as a whole rated franklin at #1
- wanted both franklin and roughead
- realised that richmond wernt keen on buddy and realised he would slide so they took roughy with there earlier pick.

One of the greatest drafting moves of all time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who knows a recruiter? What are some of their stories.

I heard an Essendon recruiter (former Richmond player) was very high on Luke Parker, but Hird overruled him and went for Ariel Steinberg instead.
I have to say this is fast becoming my favorite thread... so much better then the ‘who will we lose this year?’ Thread on the crows board

Remember Hearing that Collingwood was going to Pick Peter Wright in the 2014 Draft but Hine went with De Goey as he is Good Friends with his Father

Can't remember what part of the year this was, but I was sitting behind Matt Rendell at a TAC game and he spent about 20 minutes talking about how good Peter Wright is and he'd do anything to get him to Collingwood.

Are there any stories in this thread where the coach makes a good recruiting call?

Brendan McCartney overruled dalrymple and we picked Clay Smith over Hayden Crozier.

Very good call, especially after Smith’s 2016 prelim and now us having Crozier on the list anyway

Brendan McCartney overruled dalrymple and we picked Clay Smith over Hayden Crozier.

Very good call, especially after Smith’s 2016 prelim and now us having Crozier on the list anyway

Did you know that the great E.J.Whitten was almost lured out of retirement by Barassi back in 1973?

Can't remember what part of the year this was, but I was sitting behind Matt Rendell at a TAC game and he spent about 20 minutes talking about how good Peter Wright is and he'd do anything to get him to Collingwood.

Hine and Co should of Listened to Rendell as he had a Good Record of Drafting Talls at the Crows

Apparently Kenny Hunter actually walked in to Arden Street to train back in 1975 and no one knew who he was.

Former North wingman and Carlton assistant Keith McKenzie got wind of it and Hunter then made his way to Princes park and became an absolute GUN.

At 40 years old ted would have still been the toughest man in the league too. Didn’t know that though

Correction: It was Brian Dixon that tried to recruit him a year earlier -

In 1972, after finishing with the Bulldogs a second time, he briefly contemplated a comeback with North Melbourne, but shelved those plans when told by coach Brian Dixon he would have to initially play in the reserves.

"I had never played in the reserves, not even for one minute," he later wrote. "And I was not about to kick off the grass with the Roos' reserves."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-17/we-salute-mr-football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back