News Strachan and Gollant re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

He might have, though I don't think we announced it? Especially with Parnell mentioning he wanted to work hard so he can stay here in 2022 in his introduction video from the club.
Pretty sure Hamish mentioned at the time it was a 6 month contract, but they drafted him with the intention of giving him longer. Giving him half the year just protects the club if he gets a LTI or just totally bombs out I'd say.

I think it would be Gollant requesting one year.
As a still relative unknown, he was probably getting offered minimum chips, after only 10 games for the club and 2 afl games.
I think he is backing himself in to have a big year next year and he gets to look at better offers this time next year
I'd say it was the club offering 1 year. We need a few list spots to change at the end of next year for the multiple FA players we will bring in.

I had written Strachan off after his debut game last year, thought he would never get to a level required to play AFL, but he really surprised me with his 2 AFL games this year. He can definitely hold his own against the best rucks in the league, and is a great option to have as a backup to ROB, or potentially push ROB out the side if his form drops again next year like it did this season.

Strachan is an unexpected signing. Considering his age, I thought he would try to leverage his late-season form into a best 22 spot somewhere. Gollant, on the other hand, is a very good signing, as much as this was a mere formality. Going for the less-security route is interesting, must be feeling pretty confident he'll be a best 22 player by the end of next year.

Just need to get Parnell signed up for 2022- now.

Strachan surprises me. Maybe there were no offers from elsewhere. He could spend 2 years in the SANFL and never play another AFL game. Hopefully it's not because Nicks is planning on playing him and ROB in tandem next year. Tex, Fog, Thilthorpe and resting ruck would be so amaze balls. Just keep pumping them in high and long, no need for a grade legs from your mids when you're that tall up forward.

I’d like to see Strachan get 4-8 games next year - half in partnership with ROB (to see how that combo goes…perhaps coinciding with when RT needs a rest) and the other half solo.

If we do that then I think we’ll have a strong basis to decide who’s the better long term option and get maximum value for whoever is surplus to requirements.

If we turned Strachan from rookie list pick to solid 4-year insurance plan to mid 2nd round pick that would be pretty good business and I think is a template for that backup ruck list position.

Interesting with Strachan. Two years for a player who, it seems, will only get games when O'Brien is injured. Either that, or will force out a player we have on contract for several more years.

I wonder what we're paying him? It's useful to have an AFL caliber backup incase Sauce goes down but if he doesn't it's money spent for no real benefit. Perhaps by agreeing to two years, Strachan was willing to accept less per year?

Or we're paying more to keep him so we have a viable backup. We've got the cap space to pay him similar to what he'd get as an inexperienced first ruck at another club. So maybe he's not earning much less to play in the 2s with us.

Strachan surprises me. Maybe there were no offers from elsewhere. He could spend 2 years in the SANFL and never play another AFL game. Hopefully it's not because Nicks is planning on playing him and ROB in tandem next year. Tex, Fog, Thilthorpe and resting ruck would be so amaze balls. Just keep pumping them in high and long, no need for a grade legs from your mids when you're that tall up forward.

Fingers crossed we give "continuity" the arse and start with "keeping them fresh" by giving Strachnie blocks of 2 or 3 games

I think it would be Gollant requesting one year.
As a still relative unknown, he was probably getting offered minimum chips, after only 10 games for the club and 2 afl games.
I think he is backing himself in to have a big year next year and he gets to look at better offers this time next year

Sorry, cannot see any way that it was Gollant that requested 1yr.

Players would definitely value the security over being able to get a handsome pay rise in a years time.

All you hear these days are players looking for longer contracts.

Agreed, I don't think it would work to play both ROB and Strachan in the same side. Neither seem capable of playing anywhere else other than first ruck. Thilthorpe is the perfect option to throw into the ruck for 5 minutes a quarter when either needs a rest. It basically gives us another midfielder when he goes in there.

Interesting with Strachan. Two years for a player who, it seems, will only get games when O'Brien is injured. Either that, or will force out a player we have on contract for several more years.

I wonder what we're paying him? It's useful to have an AFL caliber backup in case Sauce goes down but if he doesn't it's money spent for no real benefit. Perhaps by agreeing to two years, Strachan was willing to accept less per year?

Que?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players would definitely value the security over being able to get a handsome pay rise in a years time.

Maybe.
Another opinion is that Gollant has requested this - and it is a reflection of his personality and all the things that make me excited by the way he plays. Takes marks when he is way out of position, is extremely determined. In short he backs himself to perform - even to the extent of asking the coach for a game! I reckon he requested one year knowing his contract could be much bigger towards the end of next season. He is a risk taker.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gollant:I'd like more pay on my 2yr contract
AFC: We've given our best offer pay and length wise, though the two are obviously tied together, if you wait a year when its more clear what trades we can bring in and who will be off our list, then we can probably up it.
Gollant: Sounds good to me (and if I've started to become a regular up forward in the ones that will help me get more of a payrise right?)
AFC: Yep, that's usually how it works.
Gollant: Fine, I'll take the 1yr

Gollant:I'd like more pay on my 2yr contract
AFC: We've given our best offer pay and length wise, though the two are obviously tied together, if you wait a year when its more clear what trades we can bring in and who will be off our list, then we can probably up it.
Gollant: Sounds good to me (and if I've started to become a regular up forward in the ones that will help me get more of a payrise right?)
AFC: Yep, that's usually how it works.
Gollant: Fine, I'll take the 1yr

crazy as ever

no fringe player ever chooses a 1 year contract. and this one didn’t

clubs don’t choose 5 years or more, and players don’t choose 1.

that puts him within a single injury of oblivion.

if he signed for 2 (say), and breaks out next year then he has all the cards to renegotiate midway through

there is literally no benefit to Gollant to sign for only 1 year.

and * knows why your fairytale involves him not having an agent

crazy as ever

no fringe player ever chooses a 1 year contract. and this one didn’t

clubs don’t choose 5 years or more, and players don’t choose 1.

that puts him within a single injury of oblivion.

if he signed for 2 (say), and breaks out next year then he has all the cards to renegotiate midway through

there is literally no benefit to Gollant to sign for only 1 year.

and fu** knows why your fairytale involves him not having an agent
Former top notch Bombers player Scotty Lucas is Gollant's player manager, same management group as Jordan Butts, Lachie Sholl and Tom Doedee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back