Autopsy Straight kicking Dogs discombombulate Norf 139 - 71

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s how bad north are. We were desperately out of form but save for a second quarter in second gear we smacked them.

Wonder if the team north play next week are also “gettable” according to crab simpkin?

The arch whiners that are their supporters are actually adamant that the umpires were against them today.

Just LOL.
Would hate to see the result if the imps were actually against them!! They received a number of soft frees last night it almost seemed like the ups were trying to make it a near even contest

So you think the reason Tim’s improved is because he’s only now started trying because he is up for contract?

Tad disrespectful.

Nah, not at all Doggy D. Players performing better at contract renewal time is as old as the game itself.

Whether it be for more $$$ or trade clout, some players find another gear.

Last edited:
player ratings

before we lay down too many superlatives on English, look at Xerri's game

FQYCK8dVUAAHkJj
It’s amazing Jack Macrae still managed to top the ratings after spending almost an entire quarter of game time sitting on the bench. His third and fourth quarters were still really good despite not being out there for a significant swathe of the game.

Xerri was okay but I think English was by far the better player. And in terms of influence I still think Naughton was probably the most influential player.

Kayne Turner is not only still on an AFL list, he is in LOLNorf’s leadership group. Let that sink in!

Much improved performance, thought Cordy in particular stood out. I’m a fan of him in the forward line/front half if that’s what we’re getting - and thought having him and Naughton taking ruck contests down there worked quite well.

I’ve been hyper critical of English and Gardner over the journey, but both showing significant improvement. Gardner at one point read the ball much better than his opponent (couldn’t see who it was as was at the opposite end of the ground), got in front, held position and took the intercept mark. Just as I started applauding he bit off way too much with the kick and turned it over. If he plays within his capabilities and minimises those decisions he’ll be an asset, which I’ll admit to being very wrong about.

Williams is one of my favourites but he’s really struggling imo - tentative and then when he does do something it’s often a poor decision or poorly executed. Maybe the GF and Rd 1 performance are in his head, hopefully he can find some form soon.

Hadn’t been in person for a while - Jesus, Naughton is just a beast. Lots to work on in the forward line, leading patterns in particular (how often did Naughton, Cody and JUH fly for the same ball?), but thought Bont down there really balanced us up. Whether we can afford that against better teams is another thing, but be interesting to see.

The eye test told a different story to those stats. Do clearance stats go to the person who “clears” the ball from the contest or the first possession in the chain - I wonder if his clearances and stats in general are padded by taking the ball out of the ruck and fumbling a handball to a team mate?

Yeah going by the eye test you wouldn't have thought that Xerri had a good game, he couldn't take a mark to save his life and it looked like a lot of handballs to players on the outside immediately put them under pressure. English was streets ahead yesterday.

Mate. Sincere sympathies.

Make sure you monitor for symptoms of Norfid-19, a contagious virus spread through the respiratory droplets of whining Norf supporters.

Watch for and isolate in the next few days if you notice any of the following symptoms:

- A large chip on your shoulder (most common symptom)

- Persistent and shrill whining

- A victim complex

I endured a group of 4 who spent all night asking Cody why didn’t you stage for a free at every contest. I tried to logically refer back to the fact that he was busy using other tactics such as marking and kicking goals from ground play but it didn’t make a lot of difference. Other than their constant sticking to the social narrative that all bulldogs frees are not there and they were crucified, I had to end the match answering the question “why don’t Cody and Naughton do this against top sides” with a simple “cos they have good back men!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks down on confidence.
So much. I thought at half time he needed to pull a George Costanza - if every instinct he had was wrong then the opposite must be right.

When he tried to take a player on he’d get caught, when he disposed of it quickly it was a poor disposal.

He’s shown he can play at a very high level for a sustained period time, so it must just be confidence

Congrats, a good win. You had a much clearer game plan and the skills to execute it. It felt like we won enough ball to make it interesting but just can't use it nor spread as well. And where was the inaccurate kicking for goal which we were promised? :huh:

Very impressive games by Macrae and Smith - Smith's hard running was a feature and we just had no one that could go with him. Naughton also did well on a quality defender. And geez this one again highlighted that we are crying out for two pieces which you guys have - a good small defender/distributor (Daniel) and small forward (Weightman).

Still looks to me like you can get back in to the season, good luck.

Let’s remember we played North. Even though Cordy and Scott played well it was against some VFL standard opposition. Both have struggled against better opposition. Gardner on the other hand whom I had issues with in the past has shown significantly improvement in all games and is now attempting to play like a modern day tall defender. If he continues going for marks, this will build his confidence and he could become a good defender.

it is our bottom 4-6 which is still a concern. I would prefer Khamis in instead of Cordy. Unless Zaine can regain his speed and agility from 3 years ago he will struggle to get the pill against good teams

I noticed Macrae doing that a couple of times tonight too. Was surprised on one occasion he earned a free kick when he led with the head on the wing, it should have been play on.

I will add though that a significant proportion of people who complain about umpiring have no substance behind the argument. There will always be a handful of mistakes in an AFL game and a handful of rulings which could to either way due to the grey nature of many rules. Outside of free kick counts (which dont even deserve a reply) so many arguments against umpires are based on a complete misunderstanding or dislike of the rules themself. It's moronic but so ridiculously prevalent.
I was discussing Macrae and his frees with my son. His take is that Jacko is very smart at getting low just before he takes the ball, which makes it very difficult for an opponent not to high tackle him and also makes it look less like he has ducked into the tackle to get the free. I think he may be on to something.

On the other hand, he is a teenage boy, so knows duck all about anything:).

Congrats, a good win. You had a much clearer game plan and the skills to execute it. It felt like we won enough ball to make it interesting but just can't use it nor spread as well. And where was the inaccurate kicking for goal which we were promised? :huh:

Very impressive games by Macrae and Smith - Smith's hard running was a feature and we just had no one that could go with him. Naughton also did well on a quality defender. And geez this one again highlighted that we are crying out for two pieces which you guys have - a good small defender/distributor (Daniel) and small forward (Weightman).

Yes your blokes did ok in the clearances especially in the first half and that's normally one of our strengths, but from where I sat the big differences were:
  • North made too many skills errors & turnovers
  • not enough pressure on the ball carrier in the first quarter when we broke out a 7 goal lead - North turned it around in the 2nd quarter - your blokes applied a LOT more pressure and caught us off guard, but they couldn't sustain it all day
  • no reliable distributor as you say, one who reads the game, mops up and directs the play
  • not enough system (and personnel perhaps) to play the running game - we will play on if at all possible but too often North players taking a mark or a free would stop to look for targets while all our players swept back to cover the options. We then halved or won the next contest and all your momentum was gone. This should come with experience and more time together. The WB (in fact any club) often get cut up by teams that can rebound quickly.
  • lack of a quality forward to go with Larkey (he's already very good and will get better)
  • I think we cleaned up the loose ball (broken play) a lot better than your blokes. Not sure how you teach that. Having blokes like Macrae and Liberatore at the source are a great asset.
Sadly I think you are going to have to load up with some high draft picks again but if you could pick up a couple of low-cost quality 28-29yos who have outlived their best years at other clubs they might become mentors and help develop a system and culture that will aid your rise up the ladder in future years. A bloke like Wallis would be great for North for example (but you can forget him - he's a multi-generational Bulldog who won't leave).

Paul Curtis looked great in the VFL. Apparently we were chatting with him pre-draft, Jets boy. Reckon he'll be a good player for you.

22 hitouts 10 to advantage at nearly 50% is huge for Timmy
Timmy's hitout to advantage ratio has always been very high. Even from his first season it's been up there with the best in the league.

His problem always was he never got enough total hit outs for it to be effectual. That is swinging in the right direction this year with a bit more bulk on his frame. Averaging around 5.5 more hitouts per game than his career average which means his effective tapwork is on display a lot more often.

Cordy had a good game. First one I can remember for a while. I was glad Bev played him forward. I didn't get the calls in preview thread to play him back with TOB and Gardner down there (who have both been good IMO). We've very rarely played 3 talls in defence, and when we have it hasn't worked well. On the other hand, there's evidence that a taller forward line can be effective for us. Forward/2nd ruck could be a career saver for Cordy, I think he was absolutely cooked as a backman if I'm completely honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back