NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Both coin flip games imo.
Hawks are being under-rated. But the loss of Stratton is massive. Dees have so many offensive weapons. Think the dees in a nail-biter.
Pies had a tough loss. Giants are looking formidable. On there day i think they can beat anyone. But question is can they do it on the G and most likely without there best player. 50/50 but home crowd might give us the edge.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Started with Port in 01. West Coast in 07. I think other than what you’ve mentioned that’s it?
Carlton 94

Geelong 97

There might've been a few more who finished 3rd to 6th on the ladder, but the two mentioned above were the only times it happened pre-2000 where a team guaranteed of a double chance went out in straight sets.

Last edited:

Carlton 94

Geelong 97

There might've been a few more who finished 3rd to 6th on the ladder, but the two mentioned above were the only times it happened pre-2000 where a team guaranteed of a double chance went out in straight sets.
That was also the old finals system when you could play away to a team that finished below you in the 2nd week of the finals.

Under the current system, at least you get to host the 2nd game.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Both coin flip games imo.
Hawks are being under-rated. But the loss of Stratton is massive. Dees have so many offensive weapons. Think the dees in a nail-biter.
Pies had a tough loss. Giants are looking formidable. On there day i think they can beat anyone. But question is can they do it on the G and most likely without there best player. 50/50 but home crowd might give us the edge.

Pies haven't been great at the MCG this year. I can see both Hawthorn and Collingwood losing respectively... Neither of them are what I would call strong top 4 sides. I don't think West Coast are either. I think GWS, Melbourne and some of the teams that missed out on the top 8 - Essendon, Adelaide, Port could easily knock of West Coast/Collingwood/Hawthorn in a final. Richmond are the only side in the top 4 that you cannot bet against.

Oct 14, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Melbourne is really building momentum so who knows what they are capable of.

Hawthorn are well Hawthorn. Amazingly coached and drilled, which gets them above where they are really at. But we were great for a half until both Richmond’s brilliance and the weather, which kills our gameplan got to us.

Collingwood are an enigma, add to that their injuries so who can write them off. They almost won FFS and in Perth.

GWS were written off and went into absolute beast mode. All I know is they are a damn good team, with all their injuries they keep coming.

As for the OP. We have two epic games that are 50/50. I just love my team is one of them and think we can do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Can’t tell if taking the piss or serious, if you’re for real you are literally the only Richmond supporter on the planet that reckons we can get close to you.
Thats baloney. Plenty of people see pies game as matching up well against tigers. Close to a 50 50 game.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
More likely to happen then not I would have thought

I’ve never got the fascination with it . Always just seems something for people to hang their hat on if their side hasn’t made finals or goes in week 1.

From a Hawthorn perspective we’ve finished top 4 and we aren’t a genuine top 4 side IMO , a lot of people wouldn’t have had us even making finals.
As such Richmond and Melbourne are sides who before this season and heading into finals are far higher rated then us .
It’s all finals experience this season

I’m sure a lot of ‘neutrals’ will still celebrate as if their own side has done something if it happens though

Spot on
We are well ahead of our time, and still have some significant list challenges over the next 2 or 3 years.
Whilst we would prefer to get a finals win into our kids, the fact they are even getting this opportunity at this time is priceless. Ultimately, I think you learn more from your losses than your wins.

Cudi_420

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2010
East Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Happened less often because there was normally a pretty distinctive gap between the top 4 and 5th-8th, and where you had 7th and/or 8th winning their Elimination the gap is even larger between the teams in the Semis. The top 8 and league in general is closer these days, I don't think there's anything embarrassing about going out in straight sets. Also factor that, you're coming off a loss, and you're playing a team that's just won and could have a lot of momentum.

Coming off 11-2, I think we can live with that :$
Geelong is coming off 12-3 before the current run of 3-9. The stats go both ways.
Spot on
We are well ahead of our time, and still have some significant list challenges over the next 2 or 3 years.
Whilst we would prefer to get a finals win into our kids, the fact they are even getting this opportunity at this time is priceless. Ultimately, I think you learn more from your losses than your wins.
I see what you're saying but you do realise Hawthorn has the oldest list in the league? Also have the highest average games experience and also the highest finals games average..

clobba

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2006
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
what other sports?
Geelong is coming off 12-3 before the current run of 3-9. The stats go both ways.

I see what you're saying but you do realise Hawthorn has the oldest list in the league? Also have the highest average games experience and also the highest finals games average..
only if you don't differentiate between coaches and if you do....well its a sharp decline :eek:

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
I'm reasonably sure our season finishes tomorrow night, as it did in 2016...

However, the difference is polar. 2016 was after a golden run, and amidst the controversies of players leaving and being traded. It looked like a dismantling, and fans were wondering if we were about to go on a lengthy rebuild or miss the finals for a few years...the first half of 2017 was pretty sobering...

This time though it's on the back of kids rising to the top, and of those older champs who are about to go, only Burgoyne has contributed to season 2018. We are where we are, and not as good as Richmond, so if we end up out, we can look at 2019 with a fair degree of optimism without beating ourselves up too much about lost opportunities. Safe to say noone will be tipping us for bottom four, as was a fairly common thought last March...

2016 was one last failed gasp...this one feels like the start of something new...

And if Melbourne does get up, I'll be barracking for them to win it all...

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I'm of the opinion that if we go out in straight sets this season, it will be to the two teams that will eventually play off in the grand final. Can't be too mad at that. Didn't expect us to be top 4 this year. I actually felt at the start of the season that I would be happy making the 8 (and i thought we would), but wouldn't mind at all if we didn't win a final considering the doom and gloom everyone else had predicted for us. This season has already been a success regardless of what happens tomorrow night.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
We kicked ourselves out of it in the first week vs Freo, should've won. Although losing to a rabble like North the next week hurt a lot more, we would've put up a better fight against the Eagles in the Prelim than what that lot did.

North lead for a lot of that game, and it eventually ended up being the worst umpired game i've ever witnessed. Thought North would have performed better in a grand final against us that the Eagles that season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back