Society/Culture Straight White Male

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally!!!!!!

Goldman to Refuse IPOs If All Directors Are White, Straight Men​
The bank is the latest firm to eschew a lack of diversity in corporate governance.​

Remember that scene in The Big Short where they go to Florida to check on the housing market, and all they find is abandoned McMansions and an alligator in the pool?

This is that moment.

I have instructed my stock broker to sell EVERYTHING!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we stop thinking about people in terms of race, gender or sexual preference. These should all be insignificant facets of who people are.

Lets start looking at identity in terms of values, behaviours and achievements.
That would be nice, but do you accept that if males make up 50 per cent of the population but 90 per cent of the CEOs or indigenous people make up 3 per cent of the population and 0 per cent of CEOs that we might have an underlying problem that needs to addressed (just one d smoke, obviously)?

That would be nice, but do you accept that if males make up 50 per cent of the population but 90 per cent of the CEOs or indigenous people make up 3 per cent of the population and 0 per cent of CEOs that we might have an underlying problem that needs to addressed (just one d smoke, obviously)?

It's not 0% unless you mean top 200 companies or whatever. What % of companies were founded by females or indigenous people? I don't think sticking people of different identity groups in at the top solves anything if those identity groups are still underrepresented at the ground level, getting companies started and making them successful. An indigenous CEO does nothing for impoverished communities in the outback. Not even as a role model except in the rare case where the CEO didn't have advantages and connections beyond the imagining of kids living in 3rd world conditions. Worrying about how many indigenous CEOs there are is looking at the wrong end of the problem.

They don't get pregnant, the males that is.

If you're replacing straight white males that went to elite high schools and studied at Go8 Universities, with straight white females that studied at the same elite high schools and Go8 Universities, how much more diverse is it really?
Bingo. I work at a place which (admirably) is pushing hard for more diversity in many respects. However I always come back to the similar point to yours, which is surely you will get more diversity of thought from backgrounds rather than gender / sexuality/ race. It often seems to end up being people who went to $25k a year schools complaining that the other person who went to a $25k a year school is privileged

Remove this Banner Ad

Back