Preview Strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde v Brisbane, Adelaide Oval, Sunday

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I dont want our alternating current behaviour to continue, leaving us having to beat Essendon and North Melbourne at Marvel, to support our schizophrenic WLWL performances.
That sad-sack venue is one nightmare for us.
Must admit I have not checked, for fear we might have to do just that.

I dont want our alternating current behaviour to continue, leaving us having to beat Essendon and North Melbourne at Marvel, to support our schizophrenic WLWL performances.
That sad-sack venue is one nightmare for us.
Must admit I have not checked, for fear we might have to do just that.

If we are to do anything we need to win at least one of those. Essendon no chance, never are there so it will have to be the Roo’s. We just beat beat GWS as everyone else does!

Since we managed to not make Keath look like the 2nd coming on the weekend like we did the 1st game, can we avoid doing it again this week to whoever that spud was that took dozens of intercept marks against us earlier in the season?

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
1st in the comp for Hyde then Jekyll.
Bahaha stats...
This.

The stats are irrelevant if we keep losing. Doesn't matter that we dominate clearances, or inside 50s, if we keep losing.

The only stat that matters is the score, and the subsequent W/L column.

The Brisbane loss we won inside 50s and clearances and it mattered little. We gave up a 4 goal head start that proved too tough to overcome, even after being up by 10 in the last term. Just highlighting exactly why no one can confidently back us, because we can win all the stats we want, but if we dont show up and we dont execute we will lose. Which is highly likely with our yo-yo team.

For the record, we also had more I50s and clearances than Rich & Crows (Showdown 1) and lost both.

The changes we have from that game are
IN: Dixon, Amon and Hartlett.
OUT: Ryder, Drew and ?????

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Port Adelaide is:

1st in the comp in time in forward half

1st in the comp in forward half intercepts

1st in the comp in forward half stoppages

3rd in the comp for clearance differential (Lions 10th)

3rd in the comp for contested possession differential (Lions 9th)

2nd in the comp for uncontested possession differential (Lions 10th)

4th in the comp for disposal efficiency differential (Lions 9th)

16th in the comp for clanger differential (Lions 12th)

1st in the comp for inside 50 differential (Lions 6th)

4th in the comp for goal assist differential (Lions 13th)

1st in the comp for marks inside 50 differential (Lions 15th)

1st in the comp for 1% differential (Lions 15th)

7th in the comp for tackle differential (Lions 9th)

Sorry, but I’ll stick with Port to win, thanks all the same.
Wow. That is some impressive numbers. The game could get really embarrassing for us. Hopefully we can at least keep it close for the first quarter.

Wow. That is some impressive numbers. The game could get really embarrassing for us. Hopefully we can at least keep it close for the first quarter.
Last for being in front at the end of the game every second week...

Why are we so inconsistent then?

11 of our best 22 players are over 25, which is similar to Brisbane who has 10 (I'm going by players who have played every game this year - I don't know enough about the Lions to know who they consider best 22).

12 (13 if you include Sam Gray in your best 22) of our players have played under 100 games, including Lycett, which has always been considered the magic mark for hitting for a flag because the inconsistencies are ironed out of the game by that stage. That means only 9/10 of our players have a lot of experience - similar to Brisbane really with 9 (Charlie Cameron will play his 100th game against us).

We're inconsistent because half the group is still learning. Take a look at Amon - the majority of this board wouldn't have bat an eyelid if we had traded him last year for a shitty fourth round pick. Now look at him. That's the sort of improvement that is still in guys like Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Howard, Houston, Bonner etc.

We've also been forced to play different players through the season due to injury. If everyone is fit and available, this week will be the first time we can make a change that wasn't due to form or injury, but actually about making the team better (Boak in for someone).

R1 vs Melbourne - Wines, Dixon and Hartlett

R2 vs Carlton - Wines, Dixon and Hartlett

R3 vs Brisbane - Amon, Dixon, Hartlett and Watts

R4 vs Richmond - Amon, Dixon, Hartlett and Watts

R5 vs West Coast - Amon, Dixon, Hartlett and Watts

R6 vs North Melbourne - Amon, Jonas, Dixon, Hartlett and Watts

R7 vs Collingwood - Jonas, Robbie Gray, Dixon, Hartlett and Watts

R8 vs Adelaide - Burton (for all but 5 minutes), Jonas, Robbie Gray, Wines, Ebert, Dixon, Hartlett and Watts

R9 vs Gold Coast - Burton, Jonas, Robbie Gray, Wines, Ebert, Dixon, Hartlett and Watts

R10 vs Hawthorn - Lycett, Burton, Wines, Ebert, Dixon, Hartlett and Watts

R11 vs St Kilda - Rockliff, Wines, Ebert, Dixon, Hartlett and Watts

R13 vs Fremantle - Rockliff, Wines, Ebert, Dixon and Watts

R14 vs Geelong - Rockliff, Powell-Pepper, Watts and Westhoff (I'm not counting Ryder in the best 22 at this stage)

R15 vs Western Bulldogs - Rockliff, Powell-Pepper, Howard, Amon, Westhoff and Watts

R16 vs Adelaide - Boak and Watts

R17 vs Brisbane - Watts

Look at what Collingwood is like now they've got the sort of injuries we've had to deal with. This competition is so even that it's more about getting all of your players fit at the right time to make a run. And apart from Amon, Powell-Pepper and Howard, all of the guys who have been missing are senior players that give the team the stability it needs to be successful.

The last time we played Brisbane, we had Howard coming in for his first game of AFL for the season, playing in defence and being exposed by Hipwood who just couldn't miss - he hasn't been that accurate since. We were also missing Amon, Dixon, Hartlett and playing a s**t version of Bonner that had no redeeming qualities whatsoever...plus we weren't using Houston as a run with midfielder at stoppages. Oh, and it was in that R3 game that Robbie Gray hurt his shoulder which diminished his output. Plus you can add more experience to guys like Rozee and Duursma (I don't think Butters will play).

The difference between the games is like chalk and cheese. Brisbane is good. No one doubts it. And it will be a cracking match.

But we haven't seen how good we can be yet.

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
11 of our best 22 players are over 25, which is similar to Brisbane who has 10 (I'm going by players who have played every game this year - I don't know enough about the Lions to know who they consider best 22).

12 (13 if you include Sam Gray in your best 22) of our players have played under 100 games, including Lycett, which has always been considered the magic mark for hitting for a flag because the inconsistencies are ironed out of the game by that stage. That means only 9/10 of our players have a lot of experience - similar to Brisbane really with 9 (Charlie Cameron will play his 100th game against us).

We're inconsistent because half the group is still learning. Take a look at Amon - the majority of this board wouldn't have bat an eyelid if we had traded him last year for a s**tty fourth round pick. Now look at him. That's the sort of improvement that is still in guys like Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Howard, Houston, Bonner etc.

We've also been forced to play different players through the season due to injury. If everyone is fit and available, this week will be the first time we can make a change that wasn't due to form or injury, but actually about making the team better (Boak in for someone).

R8 vs Adelaide - Burton (for all but 5 minutes), Jonas, Robbie Gray, Wines, Ebert, Dixon, Hartlett and Watts

R9 vs Gold Coast - Burton, Jonas, Robbie Gray, Wines, Ebert, Dixon, Hartlett and Watts

R14 vs Geelong - Rockliff, Powell-Pepper, Watts and Westhoff (I'm not counting Ryder in the best 22 at this stage)

R15 vs Western Bulldogs - Rockliff, Powell-Pepper, Howard, Amon, Westhoff and Watts

R17 vs Brisbane - Watts

Look at what Collingwood is like now they've got the sort of injuries we've had to deal with. This competition is so even that it's more about getting all of your players fit at the right time to make a run. And apart from Amon, Powell-Pepper and Howard, all of the guys who have been missing are senior players that give the team the stability it needs to be successful.

The last time we played Brisbane, we had Howard coming in for his first game of AFL for the season, playing in defence and being exposed by Hipwood who just couldn't miss - he hasn't been that accurate since. We were also missing Amon, Dixon, Hartlett and playing a s**t version of Bonner that had no redeeming qualities whatsoever...plus we weren't using Houston as a run with midfielder at stoppages. Oh, and it was in that R3 game that Robbie Gray hurt his shoulder which diminished his output. Plus you can add more experience to guys like Rozee and Duursma (I don't think Butters will play).

The difference between the games is like chalk and cheese. Brisbane is good. No one doubts it. And it will be a cracking match.

Wines was also way under done

We're inconsistent because half the group is still learning. Take a look at Amon - the majority of this board wouldn't have bat an eyelid if we had traded him last year for a s**tty fourth round pick. Now look at him. That's the sort of improvement that is still in guys like Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Howard, Houston, Bonner etc.

R17 vs Brisbane - Watts

It’s perfectly OK to say that you don’t have a clue.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1st in the comp for Hyde then Jekyll.
The good thing is everyone is inconsistent so far this year. A good run is all it’s gonna take, and it could come from any of about 8 teams including us.

Everything looks obvious in hindsight, but the top 8 has been completely open the last few years. Finals have been about momentum and timing much more than in the past. Although Hawthorn and Geelong continually seem to be a waste of a top 8 spot each with their overinflated win losses.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We’ve all seen this team falter under expectation, but we look genuinely good enough to make finals and cause a lot of damage.

What remains to be seen is if we can harness momentum and not completely vanish in important games. I considered Rockliff incredibly important for this last year, but he disappointed me a bit. Hopefully between him, Robbie, Boak, Wines, SPP and Amon we’ll have a consistently strong midfield instead of one that throws games in a single goddamn goalless quarter (Collingwood, Fremantle, Richmond, Hawthorn, first showdown ughh).

Scoring accuracy could matter way more than we’d like as well. I still can’t believe Fremantle scored 2-19 against West Coast.... if we have a couple of games like that we’ll be toast.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Since we managed to not make Keath look like the 2nd coming on the weekend like we did the 1st game, can we avoid doing it again this week to whoever that spud was that took dozens of intercept marks against us earlier in the season?
Would you feel better or worse to hear he’s been playing NEAFL for the last month?

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It should be a belter. If Brisbane play at their best they will win, but reckon if we're a little bit off Port will sneak home.
If port play anywhere like West Coast or Geelong game you won't handle the pressure and will be a +4 goal win to port. Regardless on your ceiling. You are still a young team. Not quite premiership level yet. But get our confidence up we will win. Just depends if our midfield turns up and wins contested football at a ferocious level. Oh, i hope Hartlett decks that free kick pansy Robinson.

Take your coach over ours any day. But don't underestimate some of our young talent my friend

If port play anywhere like West Coast or Geelong game you won't handle the pressure and will be a +4 goal win to port. Regardless on your ceiling. You are still a young team. Not quite premiership level yet. But get our confidence up we will win. Just depends if our midfield turns up and wins contested football at a ferocious level. Oh, i hope Hartlett decks that free kick pansy Robinson.

Take your coach over ours any day. But don't underestimate some of our young talent my friend

Focus on winning two games in a row first before bragging about your list. Baby steps friend, baby steps.

Back