Preview Strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde v Brisbane, Adelaide Oval, Sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Brisbane fans are this year's Melbourne fans. Win a few games and they think they're world beaters.
Head over to our board and you'll see a lot of supporters are still pretty pessimistic (10 years of pain will do that to you). Winning against GWS has certainly changed some thinking but nothing close to the Demons arrogance of last year.

This weekend is another test and we are hopefully lucky that you're coming off a massive win and perhaps a little bit of a let down. Will be a tough game your forward line could trouble us.

That being said we're getting input through the midfield from a big group and lots of options to score.

Last edited:
Hey all, Far Kern said to pop in, so here I am. This is going to be a cracking game. we were lucky to beat you last time, especially given the static around the wings stuff we dished up. Sam Powell-Pepper was killing us through the middle and it was only Josh Walker's intercept marking in defense (19 marks) and a bit of luck that gave us the game.

You guys were amazing putting Adelaide (hapless clowns) to the sword and I watched that game closely and your run and spread was phenomenal. The bad news for Port is that since we last played, we have junked the turgid around the flanks stuff that we used to lapse into and are owning the corridor. Brisbane's midfield is also in amazing form and we have great depth. Just about everyone in our 22, with the exception of Cam Rayner and Daniel McStay are playing to full potential and one of those two is set to 'break' out soon.

Connor Rozee poses a problem for us and then there are the usual suspects - Westhoff, Bryne-Jones, Wines, Gray and Ebert. I didn't include Rockliff in there because while he is a possession machine, I can't shake my Brisbane memories of him as someone who racked up junk possessions but wasn't damaging because his kicking lacked penetration.

With the exception of Eric Hipwood, we come in with few injury clouds. We also get The Big O back this week and his tall marking ability may pose problems.

What worries me is that you guys looked so good against Adelaide and we are playing on your deck. Prior to the bye we were pretty up and down and I know that you have been the same. The result will be determined by which Port Adelaide and which Brisbane turns up. I am expecting a shoot out, but then I thought that before the GWS game and our defense shut them down.

I suggest that Port have a right to be narrow favourites.

The biggest thing about this game for me is the fact that it shows how irrelevant Victorian Football is. The media will bang on and on about a crap game like Essendon v North Melbourne and the "RACE FOR THE EIGHT," when the real story will be getting written at the Adelaide Oval.

Enjoy the game.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Last time we've met:

What I want to see is Houston line up Cameron and make him hurt. Houston owes him a couple.

Houston will hurt Cameron by making sure he never gets to see the ball by denying Brisbane’s midfield the corridor and doing his job defensively.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we are a much more balanced team then last time we met also. Seem to have our defensive structures in place (seen somewhere since rd7 we ave 70 odd points against). Kicked 100 more then any other team in the comp aswell.

Should be an absolute belter if both teams come out playing their beat. Absolutely looking forward to this.

Jan 20, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This should be a great game, if we show up. Our best is top shelf, our worst obviously not so much. Brisbane are a fantastic team to watch. A really good blend of speed and toughness. They move the ball well and have a very dangerous forward line. Crucial to our chances will be getting on top in the middle. When we win clearances and get it forward, we are almost unstoppable with our ability to lock it in the forward line. And having all of our first choice midfield available will go a long way toward this. Looking forward to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Brisbane fans are this year's Melbourne fans. Win a few games and they think they're world beaters.

Not true at all. We all can't believe it and have a real problem going into the weekend. We use to hope to avoid a flogging but having a chance to win has really messed with our heads. This gets raised every week.

Haven't got to the stage of being confident, I assume you.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
What is the point in even attempting to predict what will happen with this team, seriously?
Spot on, and we've got fans in here arguing we're better than them!?!?!

We have no idea what we are yet. Our best looks good, but our worst is bottom 4.

Need to take stock and see what happens across the next horror month of footy before we make big calls.

B0ydmental

It used to hurt
Sep 18, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well we'll know in a few days won't we.

Not even worth reading, following or speculating until then.

As said after the crows rout, something in the box is fixed or different. So it's up to the players now. They either want it or they don't.

I won't get excited or hold my breath for a few more weeks yet. Seen this movie 5 times already

Port fans praying that the almighty interceptor Josh Walker doesn't get named

Who?

Oh right, the guy that Dixon is going to kill if he drops in front of him.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think we are a much more balanced team then last time we met also. Seem to have our defensive structures in place (seen somewhere since rd7 we ave 70 odd points against). Kicked 100 more then any other team in the comp aswell.

Should be an absolute belter if both teams come out playing their beat. Absolutely looking forward to this.
I think both teams are better. Hoping for an exciting game, with a home team win of course.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lions CEO admits key duo "unlikely" to face Port Adelaide
Brisbane CEO Greg Swann has revealed star duo Eric Hipwood and Luke Hodge are in significant doubt to face Port Adelaide this weekend.
Hodge copped a heavy hit to the ribs from Giants forward Jeremy Cameron and played out the game sore.
Hipwood meanwhile suffered a knee injury early in the game and while he also continued playing, scans have revealed some minor damage.

Hipwood out would be handy for Port ... Could be crap though.

Shane_Mag

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adel United, Man United, LA Lakers
Massive game. Chance to break our up and down season with consecutive wins for once. Midfield battle will definitely be the key to win. Neale should be tagged and I wouldn't be surprised if Houston goes to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back