Discussion Strange or Interesting AFL Photos

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that, but every other picture ever has players in lines.
Just surprised me that they put them on their knees.

And is the Eddie thing true, or good BigFooty gospel?
True - he (representing the club overall to be fair) was unbelievable on this occasion - in part I think it was because Port had a prison bar jumper that year. You'd think they'd be happy to show off a different slant on their jumper (based on the oldest Collingwood jumper on display at Victoria Park apparently) but no; it had to have 3 stripes because it didn't look enough like a Collingwood jumper. The Prison Bar Pete Somewhat Dodgy History of Footy Jumpers has the note (written at the time): "Jumper rejected by Collingwood - they added a central vertical stripe for the game". I might see if I can chase up any articles from that time.

Scot Palmer (The Sun) and Mike Sheahan (The Age) eavesdropping through the South board room door as they vote to head North for 1982.

CmgPhfKUsAAxlEJ.jpg:large

Rainier Wolfcastle Recognised the font from Sensational Seventies - it appears very briefly here (it should begin playing from that point):

chibimatty and thequarry - thanks very much, guys - that's just solved a big riddle.

It's going to result in some changes to the 1979 jumper currently on:

- footyjumpers.com
- http://www.hardballget.net/afc-1979-night-series--pre-season-cup-afl.html

Mero and I had based the existing image on grainy b&w photos of the match.

Last edited:
True - he (representing the club overall to be fair) was unbelievable on this occasion - in part I think it was because Port had a prison bar jumper that year. You'd think they'd be happy to show off a different slant on their jumper (based on the oldest Collingwood jumper on display at Victoria Park apparently) but no; it had to have 3 stripes because it didn't look enough like a Collingwood jumper. The Prison Bar Pete Somewhat Dodgy History of Footy Jumpers has the note (written at the time): "Jumper rejected by Collingwood - they added a central vertical stripe for the game". I might see if I can chase up any articles from that time.

Stripe was added post production after all replicas and player issue jumpers has already been made up.
eac47db90dbd6779d5975ea881d8ac2e.jpg
3ab9a09701da7b05980bbe5497dbd016.jpg
7d5194550e837333425ea22f0599510b.jpg

This is Wakelin's spare jumper from that game.
It's a bit hard to tell from the photos but the middle stripe is printed on top in a rubber/latex type of material. Interesting that adidas made these jumper on a different template and used iron on numbers. Adidas did use the player issue material on the PI's while keeping the standard polyester for the replicas just like all other adidas jumpers at the time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This article explains the situation from Collingwood's perspective:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/06/1060145730495.html
It doesn't accord with my memory of events though; perhaps mine is based on the apparently incorrect “suggestions on news broadcasts” mentioned in the article. Hmmm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't accord with my memory of events though; perhaps mine is based on the apparently incorrect “suggestions on news broadcasts” mentioned in the article. Hmmm.

I remember the story, but Swann's comment just scream "bulls...". To say adidas sent the wrong jumper is ridiculous. No way they would have made up a couple of hundred jumpers (player issue and replicas) without someone from Collingwood signing off on the design first.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It seems to me there was either supposed to be printed laces down the middle or a black stripe in its place. I can imagine some numpty sent the below image with the line: "Replicate the design but don't worry about the middle bit".

Collingwood-1897.gif

It seems to me there was either supposed to be printed laces down the middle or a black stripe in its place. I can imagine some numpty sent the below image with the line: "Replicate the design but don't worry about the middle bit".

Collingwood-1897.gif

This is probably how the process started, but, like I said above, someone at Collingwood would have had to have seen a sample or an illustration of the final product and signed off on it before adidas proceeded to make up the jumpers.

There has been long and short sleeved jumpers for a long time. But what about the shorts.

WR7uaTZ.jpg

This is a picture of Michael Reeves wearing long shorts in the 1986 Elimination Final, Fitzroy v Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back