Streaming Stranger Things - Netflix Original *SPOILERS*

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

If you google "metal bands of the 80s" theres alot of bands there that were fairly mainstream and well known and Metallica doesnt even show up.

I realise this isnt exactly foolproof but perhaps they werent as popular in the 80s as some here are suggesting.
Iirc they didn't start hitting the mainstream until the release of One off the album following Master of Puppets - And Justice For All... which was, perhaps not uncoincidentally, also their first music video.

I finished it now. The last episode seemed to go on forever. But they did a great job of intertwining the various subplots. It was always well shot and well acted. Overall season four maintained a high level with some stand out moments.

Only some minor quibbles. Some of the heart to heart dialog scenes got a bit boring. Will's character was badly written and pretty much a waste of time. In the ultimate fight between El and Vecna they rely on fluctuating superpowers to create dramatic tension. El blasts Vecna. Vecna somehow becomes stronger than El and locks her into the tentacle things. El gets out of the tentacles and blasts Vecna. I'll pay that last part as they set up the relationship with Mike and that him telling her he loved her was significant.
On this, i think it always looks a bit s**t on screen when you just have people "finding more power within themselves" but to be fair to the show they did establish throughout that powers can be enhanced through accesing internal memories, with 001 telling El she needs to access angry and sad memories to be more powerful in the institution breakout flashback scenes, whereas El in the past has accessed happy memories (i.e her mum in season 2?) and eventually the love and support of Mike. So i think it makes sense in universe and was logically established, but it does look a bit cheap always. Only show that has ever done that process perfectly is Dragon Ball Z.

Im not a metal head but would this really be the case, wasnt Motley Crue and s**t considered metal ?
For me “heavy metal” is the heavier s**t of its day without the glam - Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth etc, of which Metallica were the pick. And Master of puppets was in the American charts for over a year after release.

Others will define heavy metal different and that’s fine. But Motley Crüe, Def Leppard etc is a different genre for mine. Like Beerfish said Metallica started crossing into mainstream more after Justice.

I’m surprised there’s criticism of the song choice though, Eddy had to play the most metal song he could and “Dr Feelgood” would’ve been pretty lame.

They also chose it because it builds up to a crescendo that was critical for the scene.

For me “heavy metal” is the heavier s**t of its day without the glam - Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth etc, of which Metallica were the pick. And Master of puppets was in the American charts for over a year after release.

Others will define heavy metal different and that’s fine. But Motley Crüe, Def Leppard etc is a different genre for mine. Like Beerfish said Metallica started crossing into mainstream more after Justice.

I’m surprised there’s criticism of the song choice though, Eddy had to play the most metal song he could and “Dr Feelgood” would’ve been pretty lame, who cares if a lot didn’t know it.

They also chose it because it builds up to a crescendo that was critical for the scene.
Quote I posted didn’t say heavy metal though, it just said metal.

I don’t think there’s any criticism of the song but the discussion (that’s gone on far too long) is could the show have done for puppets what it did for Running up that hill.

I’m surprised there’s criticism of the song choice though, Eddy had to play the most metal song he could and “Dr Feelgood” would’ve been pretty lame.

There's many complexities.

Def Leppard started as metal/hard rock but ended up going in to pop.

Then you have someone like Bon Jovi who have always been poppish. Poison very pop sounding glam metal, party metal you could even say.

Then there's Warrant or Skid Row who started pop and went to metal.

Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Judas Priest are to me, the basic no subgenre 'heavy metal' bands.

Around this there's AC/DC and Motorhead that have hardly changed and some consider metal but they consider themselves rock n roll. Guns N Roses came late to the party but they are like this, straightforward rock without the glam of their contemporaries.

Some of Europe's recent stuff is not recognisable as the band who made Final Countdown.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Will comes out the closet in real life.

Life imitating art?

What are the odds of casting a show with prepubescent actors, following them, develop one of the characters as gay, and have the actual actor also be gay?

Anyway, good for him.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Finished S4 last night.

I don't know why I didn't watch S4 when it was released. I've enjoyed pretty well all of this show, I think towards end of S3 it was becoming a little trying for me but at the same time, each season of has been able to hook me to the point where I stay up later than usual watching it which not many shows do to me.

I thought S4 was excellent.. so many good arcs, wrapped up nicely.

I hope that S5 delivers a good final punch and I hope that the writers have something in store for how it does end up without rinsing and repeating how S4 ended (ie, 11 and 1 just trading blows to an epic proportion), hope there's some way the mission is accomplished different to what we have already seen.

Was gutted with Eddie dying but I guess he was only a bit part, I liked his contribution to the story.

Oh, and on the MOP front, I am a huge Metallica fan and was so excited during that scene. Knowing the song obviously makes it different.. having watched it now, I don't think I could picture another song that might have nailed the scene.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back